Very squeaky wipers!

J4MMYz

Reaction score
I've been meaning to make this thread ever since my collection last December, my A3 seems to have very squeaky wipers.. Or screech would sound more fitting.

I couldn't help but notice my courtesy car I had was lovely and silent, I was wondering if I could quickly swap them over without anyone noticing when I got back to the dealership

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone has any tricks to stop these from making a noise, or if I should mention this to the dealer when I take mine back (most likely at the end of the year)

It's quite annoying but bearable!
- P.S - it's the wiper blades and not the actual motors

have you applied any type of sealant etc to the windscreen?

for all the blades cost stick a new set on anyway and see if it cures it.

have you applied any type of sealant etc to the windscreen?

for all the blades cost stick a new set on anyway and see if it cures it.

I haven't no, it did do this from day one, even before I washed it.

How you worded that though, makes it sound like it's nothing expensive. I swear they are around 40 quid for a set. I think i'll try to get it out of the dealer first, and if not i'll leave it

Try de-greasing your screen and the wipers. Washing up liquid should do it (but don't get too much on the paintwork.)
If that doesn't do it, then I would get the dealer to fix it. I think your car was new - right? Shouldn't have been doing it out of the box.

My wipers do the same. I've found bending them inwards helps. My driver side one sort of flaps, if you know what I mean, towards the bottom of the blade. Also degreasing helps. Strangely my dads Mokka does the same. Wipers just don't seem as robust as they used to be.

If the problem is caused by the arms being out of spec then no amount of cleaning will sort it nor will replacing the blades. If your local to the dealer then ask them to check the blade attack angle - they should have a gauge to do this that attaches to the arm in place of the blade then when it sits against the windscreen the pointer will move along a scale to give a readout. Typically it's 5 degrees so if it's out of spec they'll either replace them or just give them a bend.

Could also be excessive spring force - does the blade look squished flat against the glass compared to other cars ?

I had a similar problem when I first picked up my S3 a couple of weeks ago, as they've worn in a bit the squeaking seems to have gone away.
Another wiper issue that I have noticed is that they don't move in complete arcs, a bit of the windscreen on the bottom of the passenger side and at the top of the drivers side is being missed off.

Got this too. Proper annoying for the first 1000 miles now seem to be better. I had my glass sealed from new so was baffled why they did this until I saw this thread! Thanks to the comments I know what the issue is.

Try de-greasing your screen and the wipers. Washing up liquid should do it (but don't get too much on the paintwork.)
If that doesn't do it, then I would get the dealer to fix it. I think your car was new - right? Shouldn't have been doing it out of the box.

What about vinegar? I did that with an old car I had to clean the screen, but I didn't know it could stop noises

My wipers do the same. I've found bending them inwards helps. My driver side one sort of flaps, if you know what I mean, towards the bottom of the blade. Also degreasing helps. Strangely my dads Mokka does the same. Wipers just don't seem as robust as they used to be.

Same here, my drivers side blade at the bottom flaps, I just figured it was normal. I'll try bending them if the de

If the problem is caused by the arms being out of spec then no amount of cleaning will sort it nor will replacing the blades. If your local to the dealer then ask them to check the blade attack angle - they should have a gauge to do this that attaches to the arm in place of the blade then when it sits against the windscreen the pointer will move along a scale to give a readout. Typically it's 5 degrees so if it's out of spec they'll either replace them or just give them a bend.

Could also be excessive spring force - does the blade look squished flat against the glass compared to other cars ?

Oh really? If I get no success i'll ask the dealership to take a look. Mine actually did stop squeaking after a wet drive but came back again. It's probably my cleaning stuff, the dealership applied that sealant protector because my door cracks in the wet, and he said it's probably not helped by drying it out with my cleaning crap... which is probably true but never had that problem with previous non expensive cars
:blackrs4::whip: - they got rid of the emoji banging a hammer on the audi rings so that will do haha

My window sounds a little dry too upon opening/closing - when the window hits in/out of the rubber housing. Again, probably the cleaning stuff. I think the window rattles too, theres something in my ear and I can't tell if it's the window or the plastic trim around the door. Really annoying, i've got some gummy pledge (what ever it's called) I'm gunna pop a bit round the window just to get the dryness out. Again though, 27k car I wouldn't expect it.
Also, i'll check to see if the blades are squashed on the screen tomorrow.

I had a similar problem when I first picked up my S3 a couple of weeks ago, as they've worn in a bit the squeaking seems to have gone away.
Another wiper issue that I have noticed is that they don't move in complete arcs, a bit of the windscreen on the bottom of the passenger side and at the top of the drivers side is being missed off.

Same here, mine misses the passenger side too. So did next doors A4. Hate it!

Give them a gentle wipe with a damp cloth and then apply some glycerol from the chemist using another cloth. You don't need much. A single wipe up the blade and sorted.