VERY LONG! Houston "we have green to gooooooooooo"

Karlos the Avant

Reaction score
You are all aware of the problems i have had with my beloved green a4 avant folowing my crys for help on Pop goes the Turbo thread.

I thought i would follow that on with all what ive done over the last few week and last 3 days

I have now completed the repairs to the turbo and other repairs to get it best i can.

First off when i got the car it run like a bag of Sh*te but i had faith in the A4 Green Machine and loved it even then.

The advert pic that took me to look at it
7.jpg

I saw the look i could have from it even on first look and drive, it had very little power,inside looked and smelt like a dog kenell{believe me it did lol}.but the engine had no knocks,grinds,drove quiet but ruff on the way home.
Idropped the oil and flushed the engine the day i got it home, did the plugs and started to read and look into the know issues.

I had to make some changes to get it how i like my car to look and one of the first things to go was the rear lights{chav lights noooooooooooooo lol}and my plate on there, to make it "Mine"
01062009244.jpg

I tinted the side windows but will have to wait to pay for the rear window to be done, as i do like the tint look but can never do the curve in the rear window it always comes out pants lol.
sidepicnew.jpg

Also got some wheels £160 brand new 17"
01062009248.jpg

I know alot of people will hate the chrome wheels but i like them and it is my car lol
They came in boxes wi no tyres on them,i then got some 235/40/17 for rear from here www.mytyres.co.uk deliver price included, ive used this site a few times depending on what im looking to put the tyres on and a mate had 2x 225/40/17 he didnt need for the front.

The parts that i knew I had to change again oil,filters ect on the car, was on there way from every were i could find them from, ebay,europarts ect.

The car had a water leak when i bought it but just a drip, but this becmae worst in a matter of a few months and after a lot of hunting i found it to be this
Rad fan switch,
Radfanswitch.jpg

The metal rear section were it actualy screwed in had come away from the rad inside and this alowed the fan switch to move and leak more and more.
i priced a new rad to save future hastle/repairs,had a good read on here and took the front end off to get the rad out.The threaded part of the new rad was part of the inner frame fixed in place as part of it and the old one had the threaded thin nut looking thing rattling about inside that hold the sender in place.

Why the rad was off i also fitted this:
newoilcooler.jpg

The oil cooler was a easy job, took the oil filter off and there was a nut on the shaft holding the cooler in place, when i took the old one off it looked cool and like new from the outside but when i looked inside it was rotted away alot and would have only been a matter of time till the insides give up.i have read of a few people who have had water in there engine and a lot of money at times to put things right.

The new oil coolers are £20-£30 from a lot of places and would imagine not a massive fortune from Audi {but i wouldnt have a clue lol}but for 10-30 mins depending on how you get on doing it,the costs of repairs and time scale if it goes, makes this a quick and easy insurance repair "JUST INCASE"

The onle tip is move the water ress out of the way, few screws and mine had a electric plug under it. with thse out i just lifted it out of the way wit the hoses still on.

I got the oil cooler{that had no new seal }from Europarts with the rad.had to seal it on with old seal but its cool and i cant see the sealant lol but if had have took a pic of the old one it didnt look to much diferent to be honest, looks can be very deciving when i peeped inside the old one.

Next thing on the list was the vag-com
:anbet:Ebay Vag-Com
Vag-Com.jpg

To all those who think they dont need one, I would say, "it has and is one of the best thing i have bought for the car since i got it".
If you want to know if things are not working correctly or it just dont seem right then £12 ebay lead and free disk will give you most of the answers you may need and the guys on here will point you in the right directions:respekt:

Now more investigation on the running and engine area.

The next thing was to look for boost leaks and then i found this:
DVvalve.jpg

it was cracked on the top and the original one going by the looks, i ordered new one from Ebay, original Audi Part £25 ish.
The pipe from the top was all split at the other end.This has all been changed with a cheap, but doing its job boost gauge top dash mounted fitted.

I also ordered a new N75 because my new Vag-Com told me that was knacked so i checked the wiring{as advised on here} and they was ok so i ordered a new N75J Valve, i went for the J version in readness for the planned remap.

This is my sorry looking old one.
N75Valve-1.jpg

After changing all the parts and doing 2 oil flushes and 2 full synth oil changes, new ngk plugs, filters standard along the months and i could still feel it was still missing a lot of power but this become critical when this happened:

My old Turbo back and the waste gate
Turbo.jpg

This was my old turbo back exhaust end with my waste gate valve sat on top that they found in my cat atfer I took it to get stainless decat exhaust.

After a lot of help from some very clever people on here and I managed to make one good turbo from mine and one that i got for £20 on ebay{I know i got ripped off lol ya just cant trust some people} but worked out good in end.

I didnt take any pictures of the turbo change because i was working from one on here, pic by pic with full write up that i tried to follow lol.

This is what it looked like just before i put the air box back in place:
decatpipe.jpg

New stainless decat pipe machine bent down to a chuncky stainless flexi pipe and goes on to the centre of the car because that was the day they found the turbo valve in the cat, i then had to go for half to save coin.

It was suspected that the cat was blocked after suden loss of power and one night noticing the turbo and manifold glowing red hot and I mean glowing.

I will go for the rest of the staunless sometime but its cool for now, its the first time its not blown, the front pipe was going when i got it and now nothing except free flow..

I have also changed all the seats for some newer sport type seats in black cloth with grey-ish stripe going through them{il Get a pic on here soon lol}

This is the decat after i wrapped it with some heat wrap i once bought for an evo4, it works well to keep the heat down, its wrapped about 12" to 14" from the turbo rear back.

Just wrapped decat pipe.
decatwrapped.jpg

All back on the car.
decatwrapped2.jpg

The Samco hose kit that i talked about in Pop goes the turbo thread was also fitted at the time of doing the turbo repair.

Intercooler pipe
intercoolerhose.jpg

You can just see the shiny new N75 Valve snd under that is the new DV, niether of these was a big job at all, I had to extend the 2 wires for the N75 to twist were it would sit perfect with all the pipes conected to it.

Throtle Body hose
throttlebodyhose.jpg

Along with these all the intercooler pipes were changed to Samco hoses, some say they have to be copies for £26 per set:

Everyone fitted perfectly very tight on and sat perfect.
intercooler.jpg

Intercooler pipes same fit perfect
intake.jpg

If these are copies they are what i would call perfect copies lol, I took the gamble for £26 and won,Would you take that gamble lol, :wtf:is what i said when they arrived a month after i ordered them, :yahoo:and that was me 3 seconds after opening the bag lol.

This was me done for the day.
engineview.jpg

All back on the engine and car,

Took it for a run to warm it up and get the blood flowing round the engine again lol{been off road for 3wk ishbut started in between repairs}
I took it for a few miles, no strange noises,creaks,scretched or anything from the engine at all, took it back home after a run out and plugged vag com into it.

lol this was the first time i had NOT got any faults showing at all

Vag-Com :arco: Result.

Took car out for another run and a little play this time and it run smooth and very quick to pull me up the speedo.

I started off with a dog kenel stinking, volvo running dog of a A4, but i had a little faith, sweat running engine with 82k on the clock but with no history, I took the big gamble.
You soon find unless the engine is terminated, then there will be a way of repairing or repalcing what is broken to get it just right.

The car is just like im driving a new car and sat in my new seats are just the icing on the cake lol.

I have some H+R drop sport springs going it on it next weekend and will prob do the top rubbers why im at it.

With some of the outside bits done lights ect, im looking at buying some angle eyes of something newer but would like black then i can just go black and green all through apart from the wheels.

I will get some propper pic of the inside ect when the springs are done.

Future plans, hybrid turbo all ready sorted{nice one Lee}, front mount poss, new front bumper rs/s4 or something but unsure how im going to go about front end yet but will be going front mount in time.

Front brake tt/s3 upgrade , finish stainless exhaust, tint rear window.

Im looking into rolling road at moment, been reading up on JBS as they are prob closest to me unless i go mobile tune and id rather rolling road if i can after the hybrid turbo is done.

Anway i will end for now before i bore you to sleep lol

I will update this when springs are done with propper pics and will be glad of any coments whats so ever and remember i wont get offended at all because its my car and i love it now lol :arco:
A4frontpic.jpg

BIG THANKS
TO ALL WHO HELPED ME GET TO HERE "RESPECT GUYS"

Ps:all this will be put in my garage section on here with any future repairs or upgrades.

Last edited:
Good stuff :)

I like the exhaust wrap! Have you thaught about a cat for MOT time? Mark used a universal sport cat fitted underneath on the purple car, which worked well.

Its good to see people getting stuck in, and it looks like you've got yourself a decent motor out of it!

Good stuff :)

I like the exhaust wrap! Have you thaught about a cat for MOT time? Mark used a universal sport cat fitted underneath on the purple car, which worked well.

Its good to see people getting stuck in, and it looks like you've got yourself a decent motor out of it!

Thanks Mate
The exhaust cat for MOT time is something that i can get round at the time, thats cool and not an issue .

When i think of the money i could have paid garages/dealers to do the work ive done it makes me fell rather faint lol.

Not all the jobs are quick fixes but after me doing them on my front, on the road, at age 40 im sure other people could save some hard earned coin.

All the jobs are on this site some were, with some very very goog help on the way :anbet::respekt::anbet:

Yep, great to see you getting stuck in :cool:, and thank the lord you ditched those rear lights.

You're correct on me not liking the wheels though :)

Excellent write-up bud.

Glad it's all back up and running again.

Thinking about getting silicone hoses for mine as the next upgrade.

Top work mate :icon_thumright:

Glad to see you've sorted all of the running issues out.. hopefully you can get on with enjoying your car now.

I'll get the turbo to you ASAP then it's FMIC and map and you'll be seeing some nice performance figures :eyebrows:

Looking forward to seeing the new lower stance too.

Excellent write-up bud.

Glad it's all back up and running again.

Thinking about getting silicone hoses for mine as the next upgrade.

They was well worth the few emails i sent them and it was a gamble but all the time i was kicking off there was never any mention of Samco at all and i was gobsmacked lol Ive had Samco hoses before and these are Samco hoses, the quaility and the fit says it all.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A4-1-8T-...s_SM?hash=item2a0084006f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

both sets are on there site and i dont know them whats so ever and was a pain in the **** getting them but they came up trumps in the end :applaus:
Its worth a email to them, if nothing else " :yahoo:" could be you lol

Yep, great to see you getting stuck in :cool:, and thank the lord you ditched those rear lights.

You're correct on me not liking the wheels though :)

lol first thing gone mate they look quite cool at night because the chrome ones are behind the tint spray, they shine into them with the sun light on them or just black lol
I did the side repeater on the wing at same time
aw well i like my wheels lol :rockwoot::undwech:

Thanks guys its certainly getting there slowly and apart from the big parts, most of the parts are out there quite cheep and often Audi parts.
:respekt:

Last edited:
Ha!

They're the ones I was thinking about getting.

Will go get them now then! (but in black)

Cheers!

Edit - I've just bought them, but have requested a combined postage for them. Did you pay for them separately, or all together?

Last edited:
I suspect they've made a fluff of your order and sent you the complete set rather than just the TIP.

SCORE though!

Quite a few of the S4 chaps are using the hoses from autobahn88 which seemed pretty similar. Probably the same stuff.

I've ordered both the TIP and Intercooler pipes... the complete set... though it says they're away till the 9th. So they can't answer my combined postage question. Poop.

Ha!

They're the ones I was thinking about getting.

Will go get them now then! (but in black)

Cheers!

Edit - I've just bought them, but have requested a combined postage for them. Did you pay for them separately, or all together?

£93 all in with postage of £20 per set,£26ish for the hoses.
but you pay over £100 for the intake hose from samco and other sites selling them.

I hope it works out well and you get black Samco hoses but be ready for rather the dodgy looking hoses on the advert lol or the Samco set and a few emails lol

Good luck Mate

I've ordered both the TIP and Intercooler pipes... the complete set... though it says they're away till the 9th. So they can't answer my combined postage question. Poop.
I asked Geeman and it was a big NO lol

I had good month of over time in and made the bid thats all and there was never a mention of Samco and if your like me and dont expect Samco then you may well be very f**kin surprised as i was lol:rock:

Last edited:
I suspect they've made a fluff of your order and sent you the complete set rather than just the TIP.

SCORE though!

Quite a few of the S4 chaps are using the hoses from autobahn88 which seemed pretty similar. Probably the same stuff.

i ordered them both Kev, i just didnt expect Samco at all mate, they look and are cheep hose kits on ebay even with delivery, but it was a good score and its not just the looks because you cant see most of them lol

it was a good time with the running issues i was having to go for the hoses to seal everything up tight and it just so happened the turbo went the week before they confirmed delivery,

the day before i took the turbo off the hoses landed, I love it when a plan comes together just a pity the turbo had to die somewere in that plan lol

I've actually had these earmarked in my eBay watch list for ages. They've been there for two months now and I've not got around to buying them. I had contacted them previously and they said that they'd do a combined postage allowance if I went ahead with both sets... but never got round to it as I was a bit dubious of the quality. But now you've got them and I've seen they're actually top notch, I've taken the plunge and ordered them.

Will wait a couple of days to see if they respond. If not, then I'll just send the payment off...

:icon_thumright:

What e-mails did you have to send... and why? :think:

LOL I cant repeat them on here but things like:

WERE THE F**CK ARE MY HOSES ITS BEEN 2WK SINCE I PLACED MY ORDER AND IT TOOK YOU A WEEK TO ASK ME "WHAT COLOUR I WANTED" ARE YOU RETARDED OR JUST TAKING THE **** THERE?

it went something like that{perhaps not exact words but you get the message} for the first 2-3 weeks and they sent loads of appoligising emails and i will give them one thing, the service is ****, but the appoligies get 10-10 all day lol they can appoligise alot lol

Like I say it worked out in the end and i hope you get the same service lol but the same result :anbet:

I've actually had these earmarked in my eBay watch list for ages. They've been there for two months now and I've not got around to buying them. I had contacted them previously and they said that they'd do a combined postage allowance if I went ahead with both sets... but never got round to it as I was a bit dubious of the quality. But now you've got them and I've seen they're actually top notch, I've taken the plunge and ordered them.

Will wait a couple of days to see if they respond. If not, then I'll just send the payment off...

:icon_thumright:
lol Geeman, i had them in my ebay for months too, they just look cheep ***** hoses lol
just shows, you never know till you try it and even better if you get the postage down on top,

Good luck

They was well worth the few emails i sent them and it was a gamble but all the time i was kicking off there was never any mention of Samco at all and i was gobsmacked lol Ive had Samco hoses before and these are Samco hoses, the quaility and the fit says it all.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A4-1-8T-...s_SM?hash=item2a0084006f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

don't want to pi$$ on your chips but with the item location being china I'd be very suprised if they were real Samco Hoses...

Well done on getting the car sorted though :icon_thumright: looks really tidy

don't want to pi$$ on your chips but with the item location being china I'd be very suprised if they were real Samco Hoses...

Well done on getting the car sorted though :icon_thumright: looks really tidy

id be very surprise if Samco dont export lol and there still sool as

big thanks and im made up with it now

I got this in the post yesterday:

06102009049.jpg

Not bad for £9.99 and £4 delivery, Good old ebay :applaus:

Will be going on with new turbo at end of month.

Could anyone tell me if doing the water pump on my 1997 18t avant AEB is a big job and how do i go about it, does the front end have to come off ?

Water pump can be done without removing the front if you are careful, it's fiddly but perfectly do able. Don't forget to change the stat when you are there, just as well

Water pump can be done without removing the front if you are careful, it's fiddly but perfectly do able. Don't forget to change the stat when you are there, just as well
thanks Mark

ive been looking for a diy write up on here but theres a lot of topics with water pump lol

i will try and read up and may have a go, he who dares :scared2:

Take the front end off. It only takes 10 minutes (I've done it a million times now).

It'll make life a whole lot easier with it removed, trust me. It's not as daunting a job as you think it is... honest.

Giles that is true it is only ten mins to remove, but i chose to answer his question :sorry:

Mine on the Purple car was velco'd on i think,lol The hardest bit is aligning it back up to make the bumper fit right and the headlights line back up with the bonnet/wings

Mark, oh I know you were spot on with your advice and you don't HAVE to take it off, but having been on the blunt end of working in the engine bay more times than I would have liked to, much like yourself (or anyone else that has owned a 1.8T for longer than 3 months!), I think that it would be easier for him to remove the front end to attempt the water pump...

But, saying that, it IS possible to do it. I had to replace all the bolts on it after putting a new one in (long story) and I attempted it without removing the front... but got so frustrated I resorted to whipping it all off anyway before I did something I would have regretted!

You're right about the headlights though... they're the fiddly bits to get aligned again.

Giles that is true it is only ten mins to remove, but i chose to answer his question :sorry:

Mine on the Purple car was velco'd on i think,lol The hardest bit is aligning it back up to make the bumper fit right and the headlights line back up with the bonnet/wings

Take the front end off. It only takes 10 minutes (I've done it a million times now).

It'll make life a whole lot easier with it removed, trust me. It's not as daunting a job as you think it is... honest.

Thanks again lads and i will prob try it without taking the bumper off and see how i get on, If i get stuck then the bumper would have to come off.

There is no issues with the old pump, its more preventive repairs if nothing else but after thinking about it i may go for the oil pump first and start to get a few prices on that, due to the tappets clicking at times.
I have flushed it twice in last few months and after a few weeks the tappets start to click again.
I have had the oil presure light flash on once since i have had the car but just a few seconds, there is defo issues there because the tappets are telling me it may be struggling at low revs to get the oil up there.

Im just trying to eliminate as much as i can before i push the BHP up with the Hybrid and remap.

big thanks again and i will keep you all updated.

Our pressure guage shows as low as 8psi at idle, and ive never seen the standard audi pressure warning come on...

Our tappets start to rattle if your sat in traffic and the pressure is below 1bar for any length of time. I've noticed that if the sump is anything other than completely full, the pressure drops off quite alarmingly at idle, and even when full it will drop if left idling in traffic for too long.

Our pressure guage shows as low as 8psi at idle, and ive never seen the standard audi pressure warning come on...

Our tappets start to rattle if your sat in traffic and the pressure is below 1bar for any length of time. I've noticed that if the sump is anything other than completely full, the pressure drops off quite alarmingly at idle, and even when full it will drop if left idling in traffic for too long.

thanks Kev,
would it be a option to replace the oil presure switch and put a gauge on there instead?
There are 2 senders on the side of the oil filter/pump unit, one is for the oil temp and one for the presure warning, do you know which is which out of the 2 and if i put a gauge on ti would that bring the warning up on the dash display due to it not having the presure sender?

You have two options, one is to use a VAG switch from a golf/audi coupe which combines both the switch and sender in one, or you simply buy a T-piece and fit the guage sender and switch into the filter housing together.

Both ways work, i went with the latter becuase my guage (£20 off ebay) came with a sender and i couldnt find any of the proper vag ones used and they're £50ish new. Ebay might turn up a set of guages from an old audi coupe and the corresponding sensors, using the t piece is a bit tricky becuase theres not a lot of room back there and you need the T to tighten up in just the right spot so you can get the two sensors in without hitting anything.

You have two options, one is to use a VAG switch from a golf/audi coupe which combines both the switch and sender in one, or you simply buy a T-piece and fit the guage sender and switch into the filter housing together.

Both ways work, i went with the latter becuase my guage (£20 off ebay) came with a sender and i couldnt find any of the proper vag ones used and they're £50ish new. Ebay might turn up a set of guages from an old audi coupe and the corresponding sensors, using the t piece is a bit tricky becuase theres not a lot of room back there and you need the T to tighten up in just the right spot so you can get the two sensors in without hitting anything.

thanks Kev

I will have to sort the fuel pump issue first, but will certainly be looking at a guage next on the shopping list, the tappets are not rattling there bits off but do go louder from time to time, i just thought oil pump issues straight away after reading some of the threads on here.

but im a bit more relaxed on the tappets issue and will keep an eye on them.

Sorry to keep hijacking the thread, but thought you'd be interested to know that NutsMotorsport have e-mailed ME twice already today with regards to the colour I want! So far, I have to say I'm quite impressed with them! lol

I've asked for black, but said that if blue (stamped with the Samco logo) will be delivered quicker, then I'd take them instead.

Watch this space (or rather a new space/thread so I'm not stealing your real estate!)

Sorry to keep hijacking the thread, but thought you'd be interested to know that NutsMotorsport have e-mailed ME twice already today with regards to the colour I want! So far, I have to say I'm quite impressed with them! lol

I've asked for black, but said that if blue (stamped with the Samco logo) will be delivered quicker, then I'd take them instead.

Watch this space (or rather a new space/thread so I'm not stealing your real estate!)

hey its cool Geeman keep the updates coming mate, they did say that they will try and sort there service out but i just took that as b/**** lol

buts its looking good for a good result if your start is anything to go by :rockwoot: