Very cold reading on Dash

BenJee_S3

Reaction score
Regarding the water temp gauge on the dash, just a query.. just bought another S3 8L. My old S3 warmed up very quickly, and the needle would soon stop at 90 degrees and stay there. My new one barely gets above 30-60. Even in the space of half an hour or so will never get to 90.

Is it just a case of different engines running at different temps or pehaps it needs a coolant change?

Any advise appreciated.

scan for fault codes... could be the CTS.... check engine temp in VCDS (engine module, block 001) and see what thats showing...

Pretty common for CTS and stat to go faulty on 1.8t's

<tuffty/>

And a new dip stick tube, cos you will more than likely break it on removal.

Worth while to buy a new stat housing too. The plastic seems to warp or twist. When you put it back it's common to leak. First time I done it I had to double gasket to get a seal (was the weekend and couldn't get a housing).

The dipstick tube is a must too, the plastic goes very brittle.

I had the same issues. Thermostat was £5 from Euro car parts, and the plastic housing was about £3 so bought that for the sake of it.
Bit of a git to fit, removing the wiring on the back of the alternator gives better access to the lower housing bolt. Make sure you disconnect your battery mind...