Vehicle Tax!

Ringway

Reaction score
Hi,
This might sound abit silly, but I need an answer and hopefully might get it on here since I have searched on .GOV webpage and not really found an answer to my question. My vehicle Tax has literally just expired and I dont have my V5C nor my V11 reminder with me as im up north of the country and not at home in dorset. im in a very severe situation having been stuck in a hosp looking after a family member and I dont know what to do? The only document I have in the car is the MOT certifacte. I'd need to drive the car soon and its not looking like im going to be leaving to go home due to the persons severe health at hospital. And I dont want to order a new V5c as mine is just at home but nobody to post it to me up north nor can I drive the car 5hrs down the motorway which could get me a fine, I just dont know what to do?

I would ring the DVLA and discuss it with them. I done it before, realised my tax was expiring when I was on the way to the airport to go on holiday. It would have been out by the time I returned and would be making the journey home from the airport. They taxed it over the phone for me without any documents.

Good luck with that! I have been in the same situation as that before and the DVLA are most unhelpful and not flexible in the slightest. They would rather you drive without tax than actually help you.

Can anyone at home access it and get a photo of the renewal, that should have a code on it which will let you do it all online in a matter of minutes.

Alternatively call the DVLA and say you havent had any notification come through, you are away and you need to tax the car, asap.

Not sure if you can do it in the post office now as well without the docs, as its all checked online now....that maybe worth a try.

Reactions: Snibo
You can do it at the local post office, my mate has the same situation on a car he'd bought, had no paperwork, went to the post office and they sorted it and taxed it there.

Thanks guys, I rang DVLA and explained my situation they sorted it out for me in a few minutes.