Vehicle light malfunction a3

Peter Oloughlin

Reaction score
Hi i have been having a problem everytime without fail the car displays vehicle light malfunction all bulbs are working and was led from factory. When it was scanned there was no error at all with the lights. Its starting to frustrate me now has anyone had a problem like this or any suggestions as I'm stumped. Thanks

Does it clear immediately or only after ignition cycles?

Might be an idea to supply a little more information. What year of A3 do you have and what combination of headlights / rear lights do you have?

Reactions: Peter Oloughlin
Thanks for your reply it stays on the whole time until i turn the car off so basically permanent lol

Hi alex sorry its a 2013 a3 8v with upgraded from factory rear LED and xenon lights on the front. The guy that scanned it was confused he works for Seat he was recommending me to change my numberplate bulbs but as i can see they have the audi badge on them so i presume they are factory.

So you have a pre-facelift A3 with LED rear lights and Xenon Headlights.

- You have checked all exterior lights and all function with no errors?
- You say you had a SEAT tech scan the vehicle, do you have a copy of the scan you can post up?
- When you turn on your dipped beams do the xenons level test, ie do they dip down and then raise up?

Willing to bet you need a basic settings on your auto levelling system.

I will have to go back to him i didn't think to get a copy of the scan as it was showing 0 errors. I did mention to him i have only seen my headlights move up and down a few times since owning the car. When turned on they rarely ever adjust when i owned a focus with xenon lights everytime i turned them on they adjusted.
I did mention to him about the auto leveler sensor but he said that would throw a code if it was broken.

Post a video up of the fault coming up.

Check all connections for corrosion on the lights as maybe it's momentarily not getting a good contact on startup, but then it does & clears the error.

Reactions: Peter Oloughlin
My 2014 A3 2.0 did this when i bought it, I thought it was a light that was about to go but a month later the warning went off and never came back, also my lights are still working.
I had no errors either.
I did not find out what the issue was, but have not seen the problem since march

Reactions: Jbrady417 and Peter Oloughlin
Did you ever fix this as mine has the same lights and the same fault which is annoying... again no errors showing on s basic scan.. no sign of any lights out and also never seen the headlights adjust

Hi sorry for the late reply. No it still says light malfunction, i thought i never seen my lights adjust but they do you can try it by turning the lights on before the ignition thats how i seen mine move up and down. I keep meaning to check every bulb but have been busy work

Yes me too. I phoned Audi and they wanted £90 an hour for fault finding... #licencetoprintmoney..

Hi, i have Audi S3 8v 2014 with same problem. It says Vehicle light malfunction but all lights are working i checked all lights, i reconnected all connectors,i disconected the battery for 20-30 minutes and diagnostic says nothing. Did anyone found what is the problem?

Not yet but I haven’t looked into it yet. I want to check all the earths etc.. but with a young family I haven’t found the time yet. It seems to be a common ish problem. Whoever works it out first must post the answer!!

Did your lights go out like CanadaA3’s??
I now have the same problem… with no problems!!