VeeDubDan - Phantom Black S3

VeeDubDan

Reaction score
After beginning the search back in April I've finally got a new car!

For nearly 3 years I've had a MK5 Golf GTI, lowered with 19" CHs, but it was getting old and I fancied a change! My No1 criteria was my CHs would fit striaght on, so intially thought about a MK5 R32 (had one before and loved it), but after viewing a couple and scanning the web for a good while decided I was unlikeky to find a mint one quickly that was any newer than my GTI. Considered a MK6 GTI, but they aren't cheap and for the same money a much better specced S3 can be had. And a Golf R is just over priced next to the S3! So eventually set my mind on a facelift 8P S3 in Phantom Black. Wanted a car around a year old with Bose and black headliner, wasn't fussed about the buckets as they don't suit my needs. Nor a "Black Edition" as not keen on the piano black interior inserts, or the limo tint privacy glass that come as standard on the rear windows (mind you I would have taken one!).

Over the course of the summer I made offers on 3 cars, but never managed to close a deal, then at the beginning of October this 4th one appeared at Carlisle Audi. First registered to Audi UK in March, but very rarely only 890 miles on the clock!!! Being a MY11 car it has the smaller mirrors and darkened rear lights which is a bonus. Plus a RNS-E, bluetooth and the optional auto lights/wipers (was keen on this as liked it on my GTI). Got them to put in cruise control for a small fee too.

Long story short the price was £5.5k off what it would have been new and a fair bit cheaper than the competition, I also got offered a reasonable part ex on the Golf. So took the plunge and made a 4 hour road trip on Saturday to collect. Being virtually new there is barely a mark on it other than a couple of bits of light marring caused by over enthusiastic polishing...but easy enough to fix once I get some advice.

Got some springs coming and have a set of wheels on the way too for winters, so now offically broke but happy! I also have a black optics grill in the loft, but quite liking the chrome as want to retain a black and silver theme, so may just fit the centre and keep the chrome rim (otherwise might be too featureless). Also probably going to change the mirror covers to black as although they are also growing on me I know how much the cost to replace if nicked!

No photos of my own yet, but below are the advert pics!

S3Front.jpg

S3Rear.jpg

S3Inside.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelza, RicoS3, Paullie and 1 other person
Glad you finally got a car that you were happy with. Happy driving.

Thanks Sandra. It was a long wait, but in the end I'm glad I didn't get any of the first three and they all would have been a compromise on what I really wanted. Plus being a bit newer than I planned it means I'm set for another 3 years!!

Thanks Sandra. It was a long wait, but in the end I'm glad I didn't get any of the first three and they all would have been a compromise on what I really wanted. Plus being a bit newer than I planned it means I'm set for another 3 years!!
That is so true.

Beautiful car, Dan. Glad you got there in the end, matey. Can't wait to see some of your own pics with your new wheels, etc. Enjoy! :wub: x

Lovely! enjoy it fella. Good things come to those who wait, you've got yourself a cracking car!

beauty is that! never knew you could get small aluminium door mirrors! nice touch.

Nice one, enjoy it. On Monday night I'll be joining your club mate!

Congratz on the new car:thumbsup: It looks lovely :happy:
Looking forward to seeing it once the springs are on and chs:wub:
Hope your enjoying it

Hi Dan. Thought I'd see you on here too soon enough. Car looks great and if it ends up looking as good as your mk5, then it'll be fly. Grill idea will be a nice touch, and ensure we don't mix it up with rye's!

Look forward to meeting up for a proper nosey at it. Need to see the difference in the rear lights.

Welcome to the dark side :) I moved from a mk5 to an Audi you won't regret it

damm sexy. i dont think theres much diff on the front end to the sline ( just subtly better )

Thanks guys. CHs won't see light of day until next spring, but I have some other sexy BBS rimmage for winter!!

Rico, will call in past over the weekend if you're car is there. MY11 rears would really suit your car.

Since picking up the S3 in October I’ve been up to a few things! First up was to fit a set of H&R springs and to mod the grill. The springs have removed most of the daylight from the arches and the ride is still good. For the grill the standard S3 grill was split taking the chrome surround and adding it to a black optics grill, creating a hybrid of the two. I think it turned out well, removing a lot of the bling but keeping the silver and black theme and ensuring the front end didn’t become featureless.

Three coats of Colonite 476 then went on to help see it through the winter. The other part of winter mode was some “winter wheels”. A brand new set of BBS VZ for £600 can’t be wrong so the winter tyres were swapped over. They’re 8 inch wide rather than the standard 7.5 and with an ET of 44 fill the arches out nicely. The wheels have been given two coats of Wolfs Chemicals Nano Rim Sealant and three of Poorboys Rim Sealant so this should mean they stay fresh!

Now just waiting on some black locking bolts to arrive and its job done until the spring when I’ll attempt to correct the paint and fit my CHs!!

s3front1.jpg

s3front2.jpg

s3front3.jpg

s3rear1.jpg

s3wheel1.jpg

s3wheel2.jpg

s3wheel3.jpg

s3wheel4.jpg

s3side1.jpg

s3side2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelza
I do have a set of grey OEM covers but I shall be using the same gloss black Fabia VRS bolt covers as in these pictures along with McGard Black Edition locking bolts.

i was thinking of getting some of these bbs vz's for my s3 but i was going to get the grey ones for my orange one and im glad i could actually see a image of them on a s3 to make my mind up and youv got the springs i was going for. i am defo going to have to purchase some in the new year because they look spot on :salute: very nice car m8 looking good.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! Really happy with how the car looks and handles just now.

Been busy over the last few weekends getting the S3 sorted out for summer.

First up I dug out my 19” CHs which have been unused for a year and gave them the full treatment; cleaned and sealed with three coats of Poorboys Wheel Sealant. Before fitting the wheels the brake hubs were fairly crusty, so they have been rubbed down and given four coats of Hammerite so should look good for a while.

The body work was next and has been fully DA machine polished. I’d never attempted anything like this before so was nervous before I started. Most of the marks came out with a finishing pad and polish with the deeper marks mostly shifting with a light cut pad and polish combo. Although there are still a few imperfections here and there I wasn’t brave enough to go more aggressive and to be honest I’m pretty well chuffed with the results. A coat of Swissvax Cleaner Fluid to act as a glaze followed by three coats of Swissvax Best of Show wax was then applied. Overall I’m delighted with results!

Also made a few minor cosmetic mods; Richbrook tax disc holder, Diamond Vision fogs, interior bulbs swapped for LEDs (give off a pure white light compared to the standard yellow light bulbs). And also swapped the number plate lights for bulbs that are coated blue so glow white. Might have also accidently bought another set of genuine 19” CHs for backups which were too cheap to ignore!!!

Now I need to spend some time with the GF as her patience is wearing thin before I can tackle the interior!

S3-19-F1.jpg

S3-19-R1.jpg

S3-19-S1.jpg

S3-19-W2.jpg

S3-19-W1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: N8 and Paullie
You hard work with the DA and Swissvax has really paid off, Dan! Your S3 looks amazing, ..but 2 sets of 19" CH's? That's just greedy, lol :laugh: :wub: xx