VCP Error

DyslexicDog

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to code Traffic Sign Recognition and needle sweep and I keep getting errors. This is on a 2019 A4 B9 (8W).

For the needle sweep I'm following:

[17 - Instruments]
[Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 1
Bit 0 – Gauge Test/Needle Sweep

But when I click "Start Coding" I get an ECU no response error.

What gives? Is this an access level I haven't got?

Thanks in advance.

Fixed one issue - the error for ECU response was the bonnet needed to be open.

Big thanks to this post: https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...-refused-to-send-a-seed!-Error-Unknown-(0x00)

WGw8c6e.jpg

Needle sweep is easy with the OBDeleven app, 10 credits, hit a button and done. No long coding needed with that one

Reactions: DyslexicDog
Actually yes you can, if you know what to do.
Yes, I'm completely wrong! I was thinking of VCDS - especially with the RossTech link. Indeed you can do it via legal VCP with the subscription.
I've emailed enough people now to try and find someone with this cable I should know!!

If you did not know about your vehicles diagnostic firewall then I would suggest holding off on any more serious “coding” using VCP. Take some time to read up on the application you have purchased else you might do some serious damage.

Thanks for the advice :) I was aware of the potential to screw something up with 1 wrong move when coding so I went slow and methodical.

Strange thing is, I can't find much info on this diagnostic firewall except in the link I mentioned - almost like you have to be in a club to know about it. If you look at any write-ups or photos, the bonnet is never up. The link I shared is from 2019 so it appears to be reasonably new, correct me if I'm wrong? I even spoke with the retailer and they didn't mention it, although they seemed pretty useless...

The write-ups are poor or non-existent for VCP, and the forum is locked down and I'm still awaiting access. I've documented any change I've made to the car and I have an auto-scan before I changed anything so it can be reverted back to stock if needed.

Anyway, I got:
  • Needle sweep
  • Lane assist
  • Chirp on unlocking/locking
  • Tailgate closing sound removal
  • Start/stop disabled
  • Map in MMI
  • TSR.
Nearly all could be done with VCDS or OdbEleven, however, the reason behind getting VCP was for TSR.

I'd already spent a few days reading up and saving links to educate myself but it's not the same as diving right in. Some differed slightly so it took some time to review.

After some failed attempts with getting no ECU response, seed failed and pre-programming conditions, leading to my earlier post and further research, I got the bonnet up, checked camera software version and with some reading on here about which file to use, I was successfully flashing with no errors and TSR popped up easily.

So far, all is working and I have no dashboard errors. Tomorrow I'm going to check for any errors flagged up and then I'm pretty much happy.

I can share my links and changes if people want (just ask) but you must do your own research and remember that the coding I share is a collection from the internet.

:)

Edit: This appears useful too, even if for VCDS: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...-up-your-vehicle-using-ross-tech-vcds.324907/

Last edited:
Yes, I'm completely wrong! I was thinking of VCDS - especially with the RossTech link. Indeed you can do it via legal VCP with the subscription.
I've emailed enough people now to try and find someone with this cable I should know!!

I purchased mine through the distributor list on the VCP System website. Revtronic via EnigmaTool if you were curious.

I'm based in the border of Cambs/Norfolk and close to Lincs if you're also curious.

Strange thing is, I can't find much info on this diagnostic firewall except in the link I mentioned - almost like you have to be in a club to know about it.

well that’s kinda the point of a (the) firewall, its there to stop people from:

1) doing things they shouldn’t.
2) doing things they don’t know how to do.
3) doing “dodgy” things / preventing unauthorised access.

as for a “club”, kinda. Professionals receive information like this as updates and technical release notes. We pay a lot of money for these And most don’t really share too much information as a result.

well that’s kinda the point of a (the) firewall, its there to stop people from:

1) doing things they shouldn’t.
2) doing things they don’t know how to do.
3) doing “dodgy” things / preventing unauthorised access.

as for a “club”, kinda. Professionals receive information like this as updates and technical release notes. We pay a lot of money for these And most don’t really share too much information as a result.

I meant club in a polite way, not in any other sense, in case anyone thinks I was being rude :D

I generally agree with items 1 through 3 - although I'm curious. However, my limit is well-documented features that have been proven to work. I wouldn't dare trial changes on my car, it's not worth it.

I was happier going for VCP (or VCDS) then a one-click coding device as I could at least see what was changing with them even if it could potentially do more harm if I randomly played around. I have the changes saved and could put the car back to standard if needed which is how I wanted to carry out this exercise.

I was looking for documentation on a full deep scan via VCP of all adaptation, long codes and measured values - do you have a direction or search term that may assist? I can only find info on VCDS.

I generally agree with DJAlix' comments about people breaking things. However, as an engineer, I promote people to have a go themselves in all things technical. As long as they're aware of the risks and have done some research beforehand I think it's worth it for the benefit to the community/society.

If people were too scared to "have a go" we wouldn't have a lot of nice things in this world :) Good job DyslexicDog!

Reactions: DyslexicDog
The link I shared is from 2019 so it appears to be reasonably new, correct me if I'm wrong?
Glad you got everything done. I've enabled most of them too except a few. I kind of like stop start, already don't have tailgate closing sound and have mentioned TSR.
The map in the MMI might display a random distance instead of road name, this seems to be a bug and possibly why they disabled it.

I purchased mine through the distributor list on the VCP System website. Revtronic via EnigmaTool if you were curious.
Thanks, I'm in the NW so a bit far unfortunately otherwise I'd dive on the offer!
I've contacted Revtronic to see how much they'd charge to do it. Had a couple of companies say they could do it and then go dead on me and some companies wanting to charge as much as, or more than VCP itself! I might have got VCP instead of ODB11 in hindsight.

I generally agree with DJAlix' comments about people breaking things. However, as an engineer, I promote people to have a go themselves in all things technical. As long as they're aware of the risks and have done some research beforehand I think it's worth it for the benefit to the community/society.

If people were too scared to "have a go" we wouldn't have a lot of nice things in this world :) Good job DyslexicDog!
Not saying “don’t have a go” as I am all for it, what I am saying is don’t run before you can walk. VCP is a serious tool and can do some big damage, and if someone did not know about / how to disable something as basic as the firewall then that person really needs to read up before trying to progress to flashing parameters etc.

In the coding world people normally start off with VCDS, the use of which sets you up for making the next step / jump to a more in-depth tool. Personally I would not own and use VCP without VCDS. Yes VCP will do 90% of what VCDS can but VCP lacks labels, translations and indeed a proper manual. The two applications compliment each other and you would do well to invest in VCDS also.

one thing to note, VCP is loaded with bugs and support is seriously lacking. Please think about and research the modifications you are looking to complete.

Reactions: DyslexicDog and Mr Olympik
Not saying “don’t have a go” as I am all for it, what I am saying is don’t run before you can walk. VCP is a serious tool and can do some big damage, and if someone did not know about / how to disable something as basic as the firewall then that person really needs to read up before trying to progress to flashing parameters etc.

In the coding world people normally start off with VCDS, the use of which sets you up for making the next step / jump to a more in-depth tool. Personally I would not own and use VCP without VCDS. Yes VCP will do 90% of what VCDS can but VCP lacks labels, translations and indeed a proper manual. The two applications compliment each other and you would do well to invest in VCDS also.

one thing to note, VCP is loaded with bugs and support is seriously lacking. Please think about and research the modifications you are looking to complete.

I've done some more reading and yes, you're right. You could do some damage! From what I gather you can rewrite modules, fiddle with flash files etc and that is serious bricking territory. Suffice to say, I draw the line at adaptations and bytes/bits now. I was probably pushing it a little with the TSR flash but I felt there were enough posts on the matter and consumer tools (Kutec) to suggest it was "low risk". Had it gone wrong, then I would have been cursing myself.

Interesting that you mention you'd not own VCP without VCDS. From what I've read, VCP can do 100% of what VCDS can do and more. What can't VCP do then?

Additionally, I'd like to own VCDS but I chose VCP based on the TSR requirement. Otherwise, I agree that VCDS look far more refined. When you mention bugs, I haven't come across any. Anything I should be wary of?

Edit: @DJAlix - I was also looking for documentation on a full deep scan via VCP of all adaptation, long codes and measured values - do you have a direction or search term that may assist? I can only find info on VCDS.

Last edited:
@DyslexicDog
If you bought VCP mainly for the TSR, wouldn't it have been cheaper & easier just to buy the Kufatec TSR dongle? And then use OBD11 or Carista for others mods.

Potentially, but I'm not a fan of black box tech like this. I wanted to be able to see what I was changing which I can do with VCP. I'm also not keen on the fact I'd have spent north of £150 on a tool that does just one job, at least VCP is multi use across many VAG cars.

I'm still tempted to get VCDS for the ease of use and support (VCP documentation is lacking), but then it really is an expensive short game. Although, in the long run it potentially saves me heaps of diagnostic costs at a garage...

Potentially, but I'm not a fan of black box tech like this. I wanted to be able to see what I was changing which I can do with VCP. I'm also not keen on the fact I'd have spent north of £150 on a tool that does just one job, at least VCP is multi use across many VAG cars.
I'm absolutely the same about getting the Kufatec box, honestly I'd get VCP over that box, even if it means I can also assist a few other people with it.

I'm still tempted to get VCDS for the ease of use and support (VCP documentation is lacking), but then it really is an expensive short game. Although, in the long run it potentially saves me heaps of diagnostic costs at a garage...
If you have an Android phone then OBD11 can do 99% of what VCDS can do, is cheaper and is really intuitive. Although if you're like me then unless you're planning on any other changes I think I've been through every single one and not sure my dongle will get used again until I need to sell the car and want to undo stuff.

I've done some more reading and yes, you're right. You could do some damage! From what I gather you can rewrite modules, fiddle with flash files etc and that is serious bricking territory. Suffice to say, I draw the line at adaptations and bytes/bits now. I was probably pushing it a little with the TSR flash but I felt there were enough posts on the matter and consumer tools (Kutec) to suggest it was "low risk". Had it gone wrong, then I would have been cursing myself.

Interesting that you mention you'd not own VCP without VCDS. From what I've read, VCP can do 100% of what VCDS can do and more. What can't VCP do then?

Additionally, I'd like to own VCDS but I chose VCP based on the TSR requirement. Otherwise, I agree that VCDS look far more refined. When you mention bugs, I haven't come across any. Anything I should be wary of?

Edit: @DJAlix - I was also looking for documentation on a full deep scan via VCP of all adaptation, long codes and measured values - do you have a direction or search term that may assist? I can only find info on VCDS.

VCP cannot backup your adaptations. For all other information I would suggest taking some time to read the documentation:

https://vcpsystem.com/vcpsystem/pdfs/vcp_manual.pdf

Thanks - I've read the manual and referred to it when I was flashing. I suspected the lack of menu option wasn't because I wasn't looking hard enough.

Reactions: Mr Olympik