VCDS

Bluetfsi

Reaction score
If this post infringes any rules then please delete it, I'm curious more than anything.

What's the difference between a version of vcds from Amazon for £35 to a version from Ross Tech for a vastly greater amount.

I understand the help from Ross Tech is invaluable and priceless but is there any actual difference in the software at user level? It states it can code etc.

Has anyone used one of these cheaper versions?

Its fake, no support, illegal, no warranty, no updates, no guarantees it wont damage a car, etc pick a number mate or buy genuine from me :)

Reactions: Ruhel
If this post infringes any rules then please delete it, I'm curious more than anything.

What's the difference between a version of vcds from Amazon for £35 to a version from Ross Tech for a vastly greater amount.

I understand the help from Ross Tech is invaluable and priceless but is there any actual difference in the software at user level? It states it can code etc.

Has anyone used one of these cheaper versions?
I've used a cheap copy before, did exactly the same as the genuine cable.

If you are going to be using a lot then I would say go genuine, less hassle and more security.

Its worth looking for a genuine cable but second hand. One on Ebay for £255.

The fake cables are not fake, just standard USB to OBDII interfaces. These are not illegal and are useful if you use other software that is free or comes with its own licence.

The illegally modified VCDS software often included with the cables is the problem here and is the thing that is illegal.

With a dodgy copy of VCDS you have no support or updates. These packages can often come with free included virus or Trojan software that can cause damage to installed apps on your PCat best, at worst steal your online banking details - always fun to argue with a bank that you did t order that blow up doll from Ukraine ;)

When in doubt, go genuine :)

Sent from a mobile device, please forgive typos :)

Reactions: Ruhel
VCDS is a free to use program so there's no need for modified copies, they even provide a copy to use with non genuine cables on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got mine from @NHN before the car was even delivered. If you can spare the money buy genuine. Regular updates and support are invaluable.

VCDS is a free to use program so there's no need for modified copies, they even provide a copy to use with non genuine cables on their website.

VCDS software and updates are available as a free download for people with genuine cables which contain a hardware license to unlock the software. The genuine software will not work, or is severely limited, with the generic OBDII interfaces, period.

You can buy a software licence, (serial number), that activates the VCDS for use with non Vag-Com cables, but you can't easily move the cable from PC to PC and the license still costs money. You also have the potential for a cheap Ebay jobbie to fail - I had two poop themselves before I bought the original one, 10 years ago and still going strong!

Do you have a link to this?

I bought a Chinese lead years ago and with the free shareware (or whatever its called) version of VagCom (as it was then called) activated auto-locking and a few other things on my A4.
Of course , being the free version it had very limited functionality and couldn't really do THAT much.
When I bought my A3 recently because it has the Canbus system my old copy cable wouldn't work and as I was planning to do a fair bit of work I decided to take the plunge and purchase the proper Ross Tech cable.
Best thing I've bought in years and wish I'd done it long ago tbh, have done a fair bit of coding already eg installed OEM Bluetooth and altered quite a few convenience settings.
I've noticed that even second-hand they fetch very strong money, although why anyone would pay £255 for one s/h off eBay when a new one delivered is in the region of £270 escapes me!

Reactions: Rog_B, Bluetfsi, Ruhel and 1 other person
The fake cables are not fake, just standard USB to OBDII interfaces. These are not illegal and are useful if you use other software that is free or comes with its own licence.

Sent from a mobile device, please forgive typos :)

If you're referring to the old 409 cables, yes that maybe true, however, the V12 & upwards are fake & illegal as they've basically used a copied chip inside the cable itself as genuine cables hold the license within, so if this is how I'm aware, then I'm afraid you're incorrect, I'm sure Bruce would confirm.

Reactions: leshkin
If you're referring to the old 409 cables, yes that maybe true, however, the V12 & upwards are fake & illegal as they've basically used a copied chip inside the cable itself as genuine cables hold the license within, so if this is how I'm aware, then I'm afraid you're incorrect, I'm sure Bruce would confirm.

Hm didn't know about the ELM clone side of it, thanks. I was just referring to the licensing for VCDS app itself :)