VCDS User Manual

mike foster

Fossie
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Been reading the on-line user manual to try and understand the system and what it does.

Have just about got the hang of things and used the interactive on-line manual but have one (possibly stupid) question :-

The user manual makes very many references to refer to 'Factory Repair Manual' for further information. Where can you get these manuals or refer to them ? I have Elsawin but I don't think they are referring to that repair manual.

Any help much appreciated and sorry if the question is a bit silly !

Cheers

Elsawin is the factory repair manual, Bentley is just an alternative but secondary to Elsawin tbh.

Also erwin is juts a complete ripoff full stop, its VAG's way of complying with an EU directive iirc where auto makers have to make technical information available for your car so independents/yourself can see how to repair etc

Sorry NHN my misunderstanding about RT references to Repair Manual. Because the RT manual keeps saying 'refer to factory repair manual' I thought that somewhere the standard factory settings would be shown so that you could alter any settings on your car back to default. The online RT manual says "
The Security Access Function must be used on some (but not all) KWP-2000 Control
Modules before you can Recode or change Adaptation values. On others, it "enables"
certain features like cruise control. Valid Login codes can be found in the Factory Repair​
Manual for your car.

My copy of Elsawin I'm sure doesn't have any login codes ! Maybe it should ?

No you shouldnt, the security access codes are held by audi.

Vagcom does prompt you sometimes with a code they have managed to obtain, so you wont find them in elsawin.

Oh I see !

So where are the standard default settings published for any given vehicle allowing a comparison to be made between the info your car is providing and what the factory says it should be ?

So can you tell me the point of spending bundles on VCDS if your car chucks out a load of data but you don't know whether or not that data is what it should be - if you know what I mean !

Being a retired old fart and just having purchased a 2005 A3 I am interested in being able to maintain the vehicle performance levels to as near as Audi intended for that particular vehicle. In the old days you knew what plug gaps. breaker gaps and timing levels to adjust etc. and whilst I know that todays' cars are fiendishly complicated I was thinking that adjustments could be made (via computer) to maintain design levels if you knew what those levels were.

Are you saying that although you can play about with adjustments using VCDS you have no way of telling if that adjustment is anything near what the design figure should be ?

Bearing in mind the car has done 65k miles there is no way that the efficiency or performance levels will be as they were when new and I thought some of the available areas of adjustment ( I don't know which ! ) may be able to be adjusted back to what was considered as "normal". If not, I don't understand why VCDS allows individuals to make adjustments when they may be totally wrong and in some cases even dangerous.

Sorry to waffle on but there must be something I'm missing ( apart from a load of brain cells of course )!!!!!

Cheers anyway

Is yours a genuine interface, who did you buy it from out of curiosity?

Also if you call £240-£260 bundles when your car cost 100 x then think maybe you need to recap fella, considering VAG 5052 unit is about 10-12k last time I looked then think you got a bargain, if its indeed genuine.

I haven't got one yet - that was the whole point of the question in the first place - to see whether it was worth it for me !

And you still haven't answered the question regarding adjustments and what to make - if any. Sorry - you don't have to answer it of course.

Seems as though you may be a bit touchy about something considering your last post had nothing to do with answering the question I asked and was more concerned with querying what I call 'bundles of money'.

Why would I want one if I can't do what I want with it ? And if I do something wrong I might knacker the car.!

Only you can gauge if its worthwhile to you, all we can do is advise what it can or cant do then you make up your own mind from that.

No actually, your 1st question was about the factory repair manuals, I answered correctly iirc.

I fail to see where I maybe touchy about anything here, think its maybe an assumption on your part & remember I do this in my own freetime, I dont get paid by RT to advise everyone that asks a query, please bare this in mind when asking with, from what I read, a slight attitude whether you're an old retired fart or not :p

VCDS allows the coding of certain features, new modules, diagnostic checks & tests which may include measuring systems that also show you in certain areas a range of what it could be, within tolerance or not, so yes you can see to a point what is allowed/safe for a given setting.

The equivalent system which does the same things at Audi is £12k, VCDS £244, so you should see worth in this given Audi charge £100 just to clear an airbag light should it arise.

Thanks NHN your second last para gives me the answer.

I agree entirely with your first para. - that is exactly what I was trying to do when playing about with the on-line demonstrator and reading the downloaded user manual. hence the original question. Don't know whether you've ever tried the interactive manual but it gives the impression that a lot can be done - but not without the repair manuals - which in turn gives me the impression that these manuals have some specific data for reference !

I am aware of the ludicrous charges Audi make for what appear to be easy adjustments and would be most reluctant to take my car to any of them for a 'little' job ! I am also aware that you give advice freely and it is much appreciated by everyone, including me.

I am fortunate not to have had any fault lights appear, as yet, but when I do ( which I'm sure I will ) then I might consider a purchase but until then I think I'll stick with just driving it !!

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers