VCDS - resetting service reminder after service

mystic.bertie

Reaction score
I have just changed all the filters and oil on my A4 2.0 TDI. What the right procedure to reset my service reminder?

Firstly what should i do to make sure im on the fixed servicing?

Secondly what is the correct procedure to reset my oil change and main service intervals?

Thirdly what should my mmi display show after this is done?

I done a service on my a4 today, although it wasn't due ( I didn't know the history) and I haven't had it long, but I did it on the mmi

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: mystic.bertie
I done a service on my a4 today, although it wasn't due ( I didn't know the history) and I haven't had it long, but I did it on the mmi

Hi mate thats only the oil change not the service inspection interval. you need vcds for that part.

Thanks for your suggestion mate but i need to find a solution using vcds as i dont want to spend more money right now.

VCDS if you have a fully up to date version, must have the option to reset the inspection flag, back in the old VAG-COM days, you could just get into the right area, select all relevant channels and reset everything, now that has been simplified by a dedicated option. Sad to say, I used to keep a rolling log of all the service area channel values, for some unknown reason, VCDS now having the dedicated option to reset service indicator, I think still offers to save them all though I think, from memory.
I've found that VCDS can, on some VW Group platforms, be a bit awkward/stubborn when it comes to resetting service indicators, I'm lucky that I also have been an early adopter of Carista, so can use it to do things like service reset without needing to pay out extra cash, so far Carista has never failed to correctly reset service indicators at the first attempt - though for all the "deeper" stuff, if you are so inclined, VCDS is the scan tool of choice. Carista is handy and small enough to have with you to use when "out and about".

I'm like @rum4mo , I got a lifetime Carista deal early on with no more to pay. Currently you can get a 1-month subscription for £9.99.Their branded OBD2 adapter is pretty pricey at £24.99 although it does include a 1-month subscription ; the one I use can be bought for just over a fiver. Click here.

VCDS if you have a fully up to date version, must have the option to reset the inspection flag, back in the old VAG-COM days, you could just get into the right area, select all relevant channels and reset everything, now that has been simplified by a dedicated option. Sad to say, I used to keep a rolling log of all the service area channel values, for some unknown reason, VCDS now having the dedicated option to reset service indicator, I think still offers to save them all though I think, from memory.
I've found that VCDS can, on some VW Group platforms, be a bit awkward/stubborn when it comes to resetting service indicators, I'm lucky that I also have been an early adopter of Carista, so can use it to do things like service reset without needing to pay out extra cash, so far Carista has never failed to correctly reset service indicators at the first attempt - though for all the "deeper" stuff, if you are so inclined, VCDS is the scan tool of choice. Carista is handy and small enough to have with you to use when "out and about".

Hi mate yes the software has the SRI option, i select the fixed interval servicing for Uk, i do the service reset for my TDI car in the UK, its reset the oil service correctly but not the inspection interval correctly, thats why im thinking i need to maybe do all the relevant channels individually.

does this seem like what i need to do?

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/service-light-reset-the-solution.150225/

I'm like @rum4mo , I got a lifetime Carista deal early on with no more to pay. Currently you can get a 1-month subscription for £9.99.Their branded OBD2 adapter is pretty pricey at £24.99 although it does include a 1-month subscription ; the one I use can be bought for just over a fiver. Click here.

Thanks mate im on a really tight budget at the moment so i cant afford to spend money on things that are not essential right now. I appreciate the recommendation.

Ah, I see that I posted to that linked thread, yes manually going through the individual channels resetting thing set flags to "0" from "1", mileage and days as well, back to their "starting value" will work. A bit annoying though as this was not always the case and Audi I'd think, is the marque that VCDS covers most in USA out of all the VW Group marques.

Edit:- I gave myself a good going over after I reset the service flag on my wife's 2015 Polo using VCDS, I have the 10-VIN version, and I trashed a single VIN by reg'ng that car on VCDS and resetting its service flags - when I could have very easily used Carista!!! I must pay more attention, prior to this, I knew that I would "use" a VIN if I had used VCDS for that purpose, very annoying, I must improve!!

Thats what a mate of mine sent me. I'm going to try it tomorrow

Ah, I see that I posted to that linked thread, yes manually going through the individual channels resetting thing set flags to "0" from "1", mileage and days as well, back to their "starting value" will work. A bit annoying though as this was not always the case and Audi I'd think, is the marque that VCDS covers most in USA out of all the VW Group marques.

Edit:- I gave myself a good going over after I reset the service flag on my wife's 2015 Polo using VCDS, I have the 10-VIN version, and I trashed a single VIN by reg'ng that car on VCDS and resetting its service flags - when I could have very easily used Carista!!! I must pay more attention, prior to this, I knew that I would "use" a VIN if I had used VCDS for that purpose, very annoying, I must improve!!

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear about the wasted Vin thats the downside to using this kind of software there is no room for errors. Once i have more time ill try that technique and see how i get on doing all the channels manually. Its not that difficult as long as it work in the end.

Out of interest what should my Inspection Service read after a reset? 20k miles and 730 day?

Thats what a mate of mine sent me. I'm going to try it tomorrow

Thanks very much for the link did you get a chance to try that out yourself. Im not sure if that's one of the videos i started watching and gave up because everything was going wrong for the guy and the i got the impression the guy was not knowledgeable enough to trust :)

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear about the wasted Vin thats the downside to using this kind of software there is no room for errors. Once i have more time ill try that technique and see how i get on doing all the channels manually. Its not that difficult as long as it work in the end.

Out of interest what should my Inspection Service read after a reset? 20k miles and 730 day?

Thanks very much for the link did you get a chance to try that out yourself. Im not sure if that's one of the videos i started watching and gave up because everything was going wrong for the guy and the i got the impression the guy was not knowledgeable enough to trust :)
I haven't as of yet. I will let you know when I do though. And I know what you mean but take a look at his other videos, they're quite useful. He sounds like borat :)

I've forgotten what resetting the inspection flag normally gives, at a guess both 20K miles and 2 years for fixed servicing, my Audi dealer tried to really annoy me when I bought my S4 slightly used, they expected me to roll up mid February for a service and April for an Inspection - muppets!

When I reset mine I think I get 9400 miles for oil and 11900 for inspection. Wanted to set my own intervals but no chance could I get that to work. My mum's A3 uses a different system and that allows you to configure it as you like.

I haven't as of yet. I will let you know when I do though. And I know what you mean but take a look at his other videos, they're quite useful. He sounds like borat :)

Im glad to have faith in him then. Maybe its the Borat-esq voice that makes him sound unqualified ;)

I've forgotten what resetting the inspection flag normally gives, at a guess both 20K miles and 2 years for fixed servicing, my Audi dealer tried to really annoy me when I bought my S4 slightly used, they expected me to roll up mid February for a service and April for an Inspection - muppets!

That is very fly of them mate. I got my oil service to 9400 and 365 days, the inspection service was double that, it sounds about right but im unsure if im defo on the fixed servicing or not.

When I reset mine I think I get 9400 miles for oil and 11900 for inspection. Wanted to set my own intervals but no chance could I get that to work. My mum's A3 uses a different system and that allows you to configure it as you like.

thanks for your reply, wen i was experimenting i got both those intervals but i assumed that the inspection should have been double the oil service interval, im unsure if im on the fixed interval or not.