VCDS Problems - SOLVED

Tom5190

Reaction score
Annoying this one.....

I bought VCDS with my dad, I've not got round to using it apart from resetting service light. So I asked him if he could do the following:

Enable the single wipe after washers have been used

However, whilst in there we tried to activate both rear fog lights also. Neither of which has worked and now left me with a strange problem. We returned all of the settings back to as they were before w changed anything but I'm left with the following:

Rear fog light warning - always on - standard single rear fog works fine however.
Wiper switch seems to have switched itself round, pulling forward for front washers actually activates the rear washer :s

Any idea what's going on?

Did you take a scan of your car before you started changing things?

I scanned the car for fault codes and reset my service light then left my dad to do the rest

If you saved the scan, you can copy the original coding and paste it back - so the car will be back to how it was before the changes.

Rule No.1
Always scan the car, and save it, so you can revert back if anything doesn't go quite right :(

You obviously must have a sportback? I didnt know you had to enable the second fog light via VCDS. Silly question but have you checked there is a second bulb and that its working? No idea whats going on with your stalk.

I've got a 3-door matey, not an SB. Yea rear fog has a good bulb in it, swapped it with the working one with no effect. Confusing!

Right slightly good news I do have a word document here that is a saved scan from my car.

Is there anywere on the net with basic instructions of the software to save me pestering on here? Not sure how I copy the coding over.

The stalk has ****ed me over big time as I haven't blocked the rear water pipe yet that runs into the boot so I was trying to use the washers but at the time I didn't no what was going on so I soaked the boot! :(

But on 3 door there is only 1 foglight? 1 side is fog light and the other side is reversing light. So I am interested in how you are going to enable something that isnt there?

Thats exactly what I was gonna say.....1 fog light, 1 reversing light. Could be afew compatibility issues then if its accepted the coding as it will be looking for feedback from 2 sources now where it will only be getting one.

Looking at all the evidence I think your dad has done something serious as Ive never known wipers to change activation positions even through VCDS. LOL

Reactions: s3_trev
But on 3 door there is only 1 foglight? 1 side is fog light and the other side is reversing light. So I am interested in how you are going to enable something that isnt there?

Thats exactly what I was gonna say.....1 fog light, 1 reversing light. Could be afew compatibility issues then if its accepted the coding as it will be looking for feedback from 2 sources now where it will only be getting one.

Looking at all the evidence I think your dad has done something serious as Ive never known wipers to change activation positions even through VCDS. LOL

I've fixed it now, I was wondering what the score with the rear fog was as it accepted the coding, hmmm.

Anyway, I made some changes and reversed them again to cause the problems to see if it was the same. I deactivated the rear wiper which causes the wiper problem strangely enough, not sure why that would happen but it does.

The rear fog light has me massively confused. I made no changes to any of the light settings and when I changed the wiper it got rid of the fog warning, and I could'nt get the fog warning to come back on when I re-activated it it wouldn't accept the code. But it did the other day. strange!!

Anyhow its all fixed now. Cheers for the help everyone!

Oh that leaves me back at square one though, how do I activate that single wiper motion after a delay of using the washers? Is that called 'Tear wiping' ?

Teardrop wipe yes, and I remember activating it before so it definitely exists.

If you aske me I'll tell you .....

It's not in the same menu as the rear wiper ....

I enabled it at the time I did the other bits just wanted to check it was the right thing, had a go of it today. cheers :)

Brodster do you have a website with all the detailing stuff you stock?

Oh that leaves me back at square one though, how do I activate that single wiper motion after a delay of using the washers? Is that called 'Tear wiping' ?

What year is your car? Mine is a 2008 and I can enable tear drop function on the rear wiper but not the front.

Mines 2008, I've not got a rear wiper on mine but tear drop function is working on the front.

Does it just not accept the code?

From facelift models (mid 2008) - teardrop wiping on the front is no longer a feature.

Instead, on the final wipe, the front wipers slow down so as not to flick water all over the screen.

From facelift models (mid 2008) - teardrop wiping on the front is no longer a feature.

Instead, on the final wipe, the front wipers slow down so as not to flick water all over the screen.

I have a MY 09 and it has teardrop wiping on the front. Need to check the rear now as I don't think I have ever used the washer ;-)