VCDS Modifications

I tried activating lane assist with OBDeleven yesterday. Ended up with two errors, one for 'Adaptive Light fault' and the other for 'Side Assist Fault'. So I undid the changes and am looking into it further. If anyone has any success with enabling this on UK cars with Matrix Lights i'd be interested to know what you did as I think the coding changes upset the camera for the lights.. (I followed the coding here: http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...ctive-lane-assist-all-cars-pre-sense-2907906/)

Hope it's not effected your matrix lights operation mate?

I was looking at activating this as well and I also have the matrix lights.

Reactions: mjcourtney
I tried activating lane assist with OBDeleven yesterday. Ended up with two errors, one for 'Adaptive Light fault' and the other for 'Side Assist Fault'. So I undid the changes and am looking into it further. If anyone has any success with enabling this on UK cars with Matrix Lights i'd be interested to know what you did as I think the coding changes upset the camera for the lights.. (I followed the coding here: http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...ctive-lane-assist-all-cars-pre-sense-2907906/)

i had the same error with side assist so i have skipped module 17 lane change assistant coding option. this option requires sensors on the side of the car and at the rear i think. it enables blind spot monitoring.

not sure about the other error. have you done all the coding to the end and restarted the MMI? some of the errors are showing up during the coding but dissapear once everything is finished.

also please remember that the lane assist shows up in MMI after approx 30min of switching the car off or after the MMI reset. it doesnt show up straight away after coding

Yeah I will try again and skip the module 17 coding. The adpative light fault stayed even after completing the coding and resetting the MMI. It seemed to pop up as soon as HC was activated in the first step so i'm not sure if it's related to that setting (whatever that is?!)

All back to normal now and working correctly, as I just reversed all the coding back to stock.

I was also a novice until last week when I managed to code the needle sweep and lap timer. Relatively easy - but i'd make sure you have the pro version of OBD eleven as it keeps a record of your changes. So far i've only tried those, and attempted the lane assist - but it seems ok so far. Certainly no problems undoing the lane change mods, just be careful to follow the process in reverse to undo the changes.

Not many codes around for the B9 seemingly. It shares a lot of the platform with the new Q7 so i've found a few codes on there. Sadly not all of them read across (Disable start-stop for example).

Have a look for a starter:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/176518-Q7-(4M)-Coding

So for a complete coding novice like me, how hard is it?

Also where do you get the codes from?

Just take care.

I have read some horror stories about OBDEleven but then again I've read some about people making changes with Ross tech stuff as well.

I bought myself a cheap note book when I started doing vcds stuff and kept a careful note of the changes so I could undo them if anything went wrong.

I've got on ok with changing stuff on my old S3 without any problem. Some times stuff just didn't work in which case I changed it back to the factory settings and all was ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Thanks for the helpful into guys.

@mjcourtney Did you get the lane assist working in the end?
Ok so just tried again. Managed to get it coded and this time the adaptive light fault cleared when completed. Not sure what I did wrong last time.

Not sure if it's worked yet as haven't had a chance to drive it, but I'll let you know!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: bpnike
I've not seen any indication that it's activated yet on mine. Nothing appeared in the MMI or the VC in the menus, but i'll go back and check at lunch time to see if it's reset and working.

Success!! Tested it out and it works :)
1bfe90259c2b35a7e0932cb38c1b4dfe.jpg

f72e17ff812e28e4a12c7bc4707ee697.jpg

Reactions: rasA4, ScottishA4B9 and bpnike
Hmm. Only thing I don't have there is the vision pack.. of which all I don't have is the matrix lights. Is the sensor for lane assist only part of those lights?

Hmm. Only thing I don't have there is the vision pack.. of which all I don't have is the matrix lights. Is the sensor for lane assist only part of those lights?

Lane assist is using audi pre sense city camera behind the rear view mirror. Same camera for the high beam assist as well

Kudos, you're a brave man MJ

Reactions: mjcourtney
Seen my name mentioned over here a few times so thought I would pop over and say hello...

Hello!

So far I have only worked on one MLB A4 and is was an interesting experience as I found that the platform demands multiple methods for configuration:
  1. Adaptation
  2. Coding
  3. Permissions
  4. Programming (Parameterisation)
*Permissions and Programming are terms I have assigned

People versed in VCDS will already be aware of 1 and 2 as these are the traditional methods of modification that we all know and love so I will, in part, skip explaining them but...

Permissions - One thing I noticed while plugged in to said A4 was that even though I had tried coding and adapting some of the more common features they would not work. Normally when this happens I unplug VCDS, put the cable back in my bag and whip out VAG CAN Professional as with VCP I can enter "engineering mode" and force changes through but again this did not work. Digging further via VCP I found that this new platform has a permissions "matrix" hidden within most of the control modules. I am not going to go in to this too much as VCDS (Hex-CAN) cannot access this "matrix" let alone edit it, no idea on Hex-NET as I have never seen it. ODB11? Maybe but I do not trust that application as I have seen first hand the damage that it can do via completing basic modifications.

Basically for some modifications you have to "allow them" before you can code or adapt them which limits the use of VCDS for the moment. Ross-Tech will be releasing a new cable next year which will sit between Hex-CAN and Hex-NET and hopefully they will introduce the ability to access this matrix and parameterisation...

An example for permissions - Acoustic Alarm Beep on Lock and Unlock:

*via VAG CAN Professional
  1. Control Module 46
  2. Access Permissions and Programming Matrix
  3. Search for Horn Acknowledgment and set to "active"
  4. Exit
  5. Adaptation Channel beep-time closing central locking = Single Beep (Double or No Beep also available)
  6. Adaptation Channel beep-time opening central locking = Double Beep (Single or No Beep also available)
  7. Exit
So you could complete steps 5 and 6 but without step 3 both 5 and 6 will not work.

Programming - or Parameterisation as I understand it is the editing of a control modules firmware. In short some modifications are now activated etc by editing the firmware of a control module directly. I have no examples of this as I did not want to destroy the car I was working on due to lack of experience with the new MLB platform... the parameters are presented in a nice matrix though. What I do know is that this is something which VCDS has never been able to do. I do know that ODB11 can do this, to an extent, as this is how Video In Motion is activated on MMI/MIB 4G v1 and 2 systems. The firmware of the 5F unit is downloaded, edited and then a delta is uploaded back to the 5F unit, changing the cut off speed from 3kph to 255kph.

Hope the above helps...

Now a request if I may... Is anyone here located in or around London? If willing it would be great to be able to hook up and have a testing / coding session in order to dig further in to whats possible :)

@djalex, with this in mind what is the best tool to buy to do coding on the A4.

@djalex, with this in mind what is the best tool to buy to do coding on the A4.

At this moment in time VAG CAN Professional is the only tool which fully supports the MLB platform.

Reactions: Brasso
They seem to be.

I'm only after locking beep though.

I have no interest with vim, and lap time is enables as standard. I need to check on the auto activation of the front parking sensors as if that not already on I'll want that too. Not sure there's much else I'd do and I'm not sure it's worth the money to buy VCP for two mods.

They seem to be.

I'm only after locking beep though.

I have no interest with vim, and lap time is enables as standard. I need to check on the auto activation of the front parking sensors as if that not already on I'll want that too. Not sure there's much else I'd do and I'm not sure it's worth the money to buy VCP for two mods.

Not in or around London by chance are you?

I'm in near Northampton but could come down to London. Spent best part of the last 13 years working there.

@mjcourtney Do you have the obdeleven codes for the lane assist, needle sweep and lap timer? Thanks

How are you finding the lane assist?
I followed these instructions for Lane Assist:

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...ctive-lane-assist-all-cars-pre-sense-2907906/

But skip the Lane Change Assistant line in Module 17 if you don't have Side Assist fitted or else it'll throw the error that came up on mine too.

For lap timer and needle sweep look here:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/176518-Q7-(4M)-Coding

Getting on fine with Lane Assist, doesn't really interfere in day to day driving, and the odd time it does try and adjust the steering it's very minor and easily ignored / overcome. I will say it's not that great at identifying lane markings on anything other than dual carriageway / motorways, but then I guess that's what it was intended for anyway.

Reactions: rasA4 and ScottishA4B9
i had the same error with side assist so i have skipped module 17 lane change assistant coding option. this option requires sensors on the side of the car and at the rear i think. it enables blind spot monitoring.

not sure about the other error. have you done all the coding to the end and restarted the MMI? some of the errors are showing up during the coding but dissapear once everything is finished.

also please remember that the lane assist shows up in MMI after approx 30min of switching the car off or after the MMI reset. it doesnt show up straight away after coding

You have to skip this coding "Lane Change Assistant >Active" in Dashboard, leave it. It's what enables side assist and it gives the error you describe if you don't have the sensors for it. In fact, it doesn't have much to do with the active lane assist.

Last edited:
I have changed a bit today to my A4 MY17 with OBD Eleven:

1) High Beam Assist (works if you have the front camera at the rearview mirror):

CENTRAL ELECTRICS
high_beam_functions> head_light_assistant
FRONT SENSORS DRIVER ASSISTANCE SYSTEM
afs_coding_light_assist> high_beam_assist
Controle-eenheid 09 (CV elektra)
mmi_fla_glw_mxb> active​

2) Map display in dashboard with SD-based navigation

I have the basic MMI with SD-navigation and a color DIS. I was disappointed when i noticed the map couldn't be shown there like with the A6, probably to push us buying the VC. By this coding you can switch between showing the map or the original navigation instructions by controlling the DIS with a multifunctional steering wheel. If you leave it on the map next time you start the car it will show the map again.

You need to have the color DIS offcourse and also the multifunctional steering wheel

INFORMATION CONTROL UNIT 1
Dashboard_Display_Configuration
navigation_map_transmission_mode -> MOST_Streaming
navigation_map_compression_mode -> H264
navigation_map_Resolution -> resolution_1

Attachments

• img.jpg
    img.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 1,761
Reactions: Jamiekxx, GavinE, SLINEA4AVANT and 2 others
Ive used obdeleven so far so good,
- unlocked video in motion,
- stronger steering wheel vibration for lane assist and a longer duration for hands off the wheel (lane assist)

Okay .....so unlocked video in motion

Does it invalidate your insurance if anything happens to the car ......I want it but I'm worried about risking a £50k+ car against it.

Secondly .....will I get pulled over from police ????.......that new b9 screen sits a little high . Will it be viewed easily from other cars whilst I drive ??...especially in the dark !!

Secondly .....will I get pulled over from police ????.......that new b9 screen sits a little high . Will it be viewed easily from other cars whilst I drive ??...especially in the dark !!

If you're driving with a video playing, I rather hope you do get pulled over by the police! :rage:

Reactions: tickedon

Does it invalidate your insurance if anything happens to the car ......I want it but I'm worried about risking a £50k+ car against it.

Only "driver aids" are allowed to be visible to driver / person in charge of a vehicle, everything else must be out of your line of sight. I deal with a lot of Video In Motion Activation requests to allow the use of 3rd party satnav devices via the onboard display, which is legal.

@mjcourtney Hi mate. I still can't find the right coding for the lane assist.
The links you keep posting up just have driver assist and steering assist! Is it these?
I just don't have the time to go through 10's of pages on an American forum.

Thanks mate.

The first post in the first thread I linked has the lane assist activation procedure in it. Essentially you need to enable options in the steering wheel controller, camera, central electrics and dashboard to activate it. Let me know if it's still not clear and I'll see if I can post up a reduced version with just the steps I followed.

Found another useful tweak, let the MMI use your phone's tethering dataconnection through wifi/bluetooth:

F5 VEHICLE CONFIGURATION
ADAPTATION
Vehicle configuration
wifi_client_hmi -> activated (was “not activated”)

Currently this is disabled and you can only use it the other way (where the car tethers it's data through wifi). This is very useful to me as i have a more than sufficient monthly 10GB data plan for my phone, now i don't need an audi dataplan or a seperate simcard anymore.

All online stuff still needs a licence from Audi though.

Reactions: rasA4 and Keef