VCDS Modifications

davidbir

Reaction score
Hi all,

Starting this thread as I have just updated my VCDS to v16 so now I can talk to my B9. Interested to see what modifications people have made and how!

The platform on the B9 appears to be shared with the Q7 M4 so VCDS codes may be transferable between models.

David

Which version are you using? HEX-USB?

According to Ross Tech themselves they state this version of cable isn't compatible with the 8W.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/hex-usb+can.php

Compatibility:

This interface works with all diagnostic-capable VW, Audi, Seat, and Skoda models from 1990 through 2015.
It does NOT currently support the following vehicles:

• 2016+ Audi Q7 (Rest-of-World) Chassis 4M (2017+ North American Region chassis F7)

• 2016+ Audi A4 B9 (Rest-of-World) chassis 8W (2017+ North American Region chassis F4).

Do you have the latest cable? I have the HEX-CAN USB cable but was under the impression it would not work with the B9 and you had to use the HEX-NET adaptor (though I've not tried just plugging it in).

It's v16.8, it is an HEX-USB+CAN. Ross-tech need to update their website as since beta versions of v16 they have started supporting the MLB 2 platform. If you have a version earlier than v16 it will not work.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/beta/current.php

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/revisions.php

You can also use ODBEleven which supports the platform.

Release 16.8 published 1 August. 2016

• Support for 2016 and early 2017 model cars
    • Greatly expanded the amount of DTC Freeze-Frame data dsiplayed
    • Improvements in Advanced Measuring Value Selection Window
    • Display of factory identifiers instead of arbitrary location numbers
    • Support for Six-Digit security access codes
    • HEX-NET Turbo and other speed optimizations
    • Optimized low-level timing routines and CPU core affinity
    • Major firmware enhancements for HEX+CAN and Micro-CAN interfaces
    • Improved UDS mapping speed and reliability when subchannels are present; progress indicators.
    • Fixes SRI reset in newer Crafter instruments.
    • New ASAM data and Label Files
    • Many other small fixes and improvements introduced in Beta versions 16.3-16.7.

Last edited:
Reactions: dts439
Well that sounds like great news. Will update mine and do a scan later.

Happy to help, I was pleased that Ross Tech have not pulled support yet, although they are heavily pushing the HEX-NET

As of April 15, 2016, we have learned that some 2016 and newer MQB based models may contain certain modules which are not accessible with the HEX-USB+CAN

If you are connecting with the HEX-USB+CAN you cannot access module 46 which is for the alarm chirps on locking, etc. Only option is the HEX-NET.

I have moved to using OBDEleven which supports everything I need.... and more, and a lot cheaper than the HEX-NET!

https://obdeleven.com/

Reactions: Gooders
Not sure exactly what you mean cuke2u, you can update VCDS software and cable firmware but the HEX-USB+CAN interface has a hardware limitation on the newer MQB cars talking to particular modules.

OBDEleven is a completely different wireless interface which works in conjunction with an Android tablet. Has most of the VCDS features people would want and the price is excellent.

Thanks for your reply, I meant can missing options be turned on from within the vcds like you can with other devices...

Not sure exactly what you mean cuke2u, you can update VCDS software and cable firmware but the HEX-USB+CAN interface has a hardware limitation on the newer MQB cars talking to particular modules.

OBDEleven is a completely different wireless interface which works in conjunction with an Android tablet. Has most of the VCDS features people would want and the price is excellent.

Can you access module 46 with OBDEleven? I don't fancy forking out for Hex-Net.

It's not clear from the website how it actually works. Is it more of a click and it makes the changes for you rather than the Ross tech stuff where you see what is being changed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You can do the normal long coding like VCDS.

Module 46 works, see below link.

You can use the apps which do coding for you, these are chargeable items. If you know the VCDS codes, I wouldn't bother with the Apps. Long coding is free with the Pro version.

http://obdeleven.proboards.com/thread/485/8-2-version-ready

At the price for the pro seems like a very good deal. Might have to get one of those on order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ive used obdeleven so far so good,
- unlocked video in motion,
- stronger steering wheel vibration for lane assist and a longer duration for hands off the wheel (lane assist)

Reactions: ScottishA4B9, cuke2u and Brasso
Hi Guys. Has anyone been able to activate high beam assist and traffic sign recognition. Was reading a couple of posts over at AudiWorld that has the codings for it. Just interested as I have just placed an order that has these options

Hey, Ive done a lot of reading about this on another forum but there's still a lot of ambiguity around a few points, hopefully some more seasoned users of these systems can help?

I have the Sport spec and its my understanding that I can make these changes without additional sensors etc:
  • Lane Assist(I just cant turn it off/on without coding as the button isnt there on the stalk)
  • Needle Sweep (purely visual) :)
  • Increase time required to open boot lid with remote key
  • Enable Laptimer shown in DIS
Other options that may be available to other spec levels:
  • Video in motion
  • Enable ACC default distance in MMI
Also, I believe "most" of the coding for the Q7 should work as its the same. Another forum has a few really useful threads on it (i can link if needed)

Whats the bottom line with Warranty when making such changes? Are these changes logged? Likely to have warranty voided if these are discovered at a service? Anyone have any experience here?

Cheers

Reactions: Snoop
I enabled needle sweep on my mine - don't have the labels in VCDS so it was a brave "try it and see" moment. Used the settings that someone had posted for a new Q5 on here and luckily it was the same. :)

Has anyone worked out if it's possible to enable Hill Hold Assist without the physical button being present?

There is a debate about the very same thing over on the A3 8V forum here http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/hold-assist-via-vcds.296879/page-2#post-2861939 with a VCDS expert, the issue appears to be one of safety as the change in coding is rather guesswork that involves the abs module. That is probably something you don't want to muck about with...

Cheers :) It looks like they're getting close so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone cracks it. I have a deposit down on a great spec A4 Avant at the moment, and whilst it has the ultra-rare dynamic steering option, it's missing the £75 Hill Hold Assist! Very annoying.

Possibly, if anyone can crack it then DJAlix is the man...

Reactions: Brasso and DJAlix
False alarm. The code is not right for the B9 unfortunately.

You are better off asking DJAlix this question.
bluebarchetta, at least they're getting somewhere...

Seen my name mentioned over here a few times so thought I would pop over and say hello...

Hello!

So far I have only worked on one MLB A4 and is was an interesting experience as I found that the platform demands multiple methods for configuration:
  1. Adaptation
  2. Coding
  3. Permissions
  4. Programming (Parameterisation)
*Permissions and Programming are terms I have assigned

People versed in VCDS will already be aware of 1 and 2 as these are the traditional methods of modification that we all know and love so I will, in part, skip explaining them but...

Permissions - One thing I noticed while plugged in to said A4 was that even though I had tried coding and adapting some of the more common features they would not work. Normally when this happens I unplug VCDS, put the cable back in my bag and whip out VAG CAN Professional as with VCP I can enter "engineering mode" and force changes through but again this did not work. Digging further via VCP I found that this new platform has a permissions "matrix" hidden within most of the control modules. I am not going to go in to this too much as VCDS (Hex-CAN) cannot access this "matrix" let alone edit it, no idea on Hex-NET as I have never seen it. ODB11? Maybe but I do not trust that application as I have seen first hand the damage that it can do via completing basic modifications.

Basically for some modifications you have to "allow them" before you can code or adapt them which limits the use of VCDS for the moment. Ross-Tech will be releasing a new cable next year which will sit between Hex-CAN and Hex-NET and hopefully they will introduce the ability to access this matrix and parameterisation...

An example for permissions - Acoustic Alarm Beep on Lock and Unlock:

*via VAG CAN Professional
  1. Control Module 46
  2. Access Permissions and Programming Matrix
  3. Search for Horn Acknowledgment and set to "active"
  4. Exit
  5. Adaptation Channel beep-time closing central locking = Single Beep (Double or No Beep also available)
  6. Adaptation Channel beep-time opening central locking = Double Beep (Single or No Beep also available)
  7. Exit
So you could complete steps 5 and 6 but without step 3 both 5 and 6 will not work.

Programming - or Parameterisation as I understand it is the editing of a control modules firmware. In short some modifications are now activated etc by editing the firmware of a control module directly. I have no examples of this as I did not want to destroy the car I was working on due to lack of experience with the new MLB platform... the parameters are presented in a nice matrix though. What I do know is that this is something which VCDS has never been able to do. I do know that ODB11 can do this, to an extent, as this is how Video In Motion is activated on MMI/MIB 4G v1 and 2 systems. The firmware of the 5F unit is downloaded, edited and then a delta is uploaded back to the 5F unit, changing the cut off speed from 3kph to 255kph.

Hope the above helps...

Now a request if I may... Is anyone here located in or around London? If willing it would be great to be able to hook up and have a testing / coding session in order to dig further in to whats possible :)

Reactions: Rob_F, Jcbmally and cuke2u
Anyone managed to get the Gear Selection shown in the Headup Display (HUD)?

I found coding to enable Lap Timer on the Q7/4M which added timer/gear/oil temp to the HUD but I don't want to have that all the time.

So OBD11 isn't recommended then?

i have received it few days ago. amazing piece of software/hardware for the small price. so far i did coding on lane assist, high beam assist and needle sweep. everything works without any problems.

@bpnike What are all the things you can code with obdeleven then?
I fancy needle sweep but don't think I could have lane assist as I don't have the driving aid packages.
Is it easy to use?
Where did you buy yours from?
Sorry for all the questions.

@bpnike What are all the things you can code with obdeleven then?
I fancy needle sweep but don't think I could have lane assist as I don't have the driving aid packages.
Is it easy to use?
Where did you buy yours from?
Sorry for all the questions.

If you have pre sense city you can also have lane assist.
There arent many things you can do but the ones available are quite cool
needle sweep
lap timer
cornering lights
lane assist
video in motion (there is an app inside obd11 that will do it for you for 100 credits) not sure what is the coding for it
high beam assist

i have done all of the above apart from VIM as i havent got tech pack.

bought it from https://obdeleven. com they have a promo now so its slightly cheaper and comes with 200 credits as well

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Thanks mate. I do have pre sense city and I've already got the light options anyway with my matrix lights. I've got the tech pack as well, but just wondering if it's worth it.

I take it the obdeleven pro is the one to go for rather than the standard one?

Thanks again.

Will get it ordered tomorrow.....providing that website is back up and running that is!
Just need to order a cheap android tablet to run it, as well.

Just ordered OBDEleven.

Can anyone recommend a decent android tablet so I can run it on?

I have no experience if them as I normally use Apple products.

I have borrowed motorolla g generation 1 and it works fine. No need for something expensive