VCDS Mobile

Hexnet is the product overall, it has promising prospects, but I'm still waiting for updates to this myself, I'll give RT a nudge for more info.

I would also like to know more about this. So if you could post up what ever info you can from RT that would be great. Thanks

We are expecting to have limited quantities available around the end of the 3rd Quarter... testing continues... development continues. Pricing has still not been announced. Upgrade pricing has not been announced.

What else may I tell you?

Afternoon or should I say morning for you Bruce.

Could you advise if this will be a direct competitor to the hex-can-usb version or will the hex version still be the daddy as such, I cant recall fully if RT advised me it will or wont have the same subset access/features as the hex cable version, I seem to recall something about not leaving some features to reliably report over wifi or did I miss a beat :)

The HEX-NET interface will be our top of the line interface. While the HEX-USB+CAN will continue to exist as the wired solution and at a lower price than the HEX-NET, both will have similar capabilities. The main distinction being that the HEX-NET will be the only device that will connect to platforms running other than Windows operating systems. As such, using the sister software package, VCDS_Mobile, the HEX-NET will connect to personal smart devices such as the iPhone, iPad, Android phones, tablets and so on.

The goal now is for HEX-NET to have all capabilities of the HEX series interfaces with added features for the mobile world. The Beta testing that is in progress is on the HEX-NET/VCDS_Mobile configuration. We are still working on the HEX-NET/VCDS configuration.

I was issued my HEX-NET earlier this week. I need to go play on miss Tiggy this weekend! At that point, maybe I can shed more light on what can be done on the mobile devices.

Thanks for the info. I am holding off buying vcds and i was looking forward to this being released but I'm a bit disappointed that its going to be more expensive than the current VCDS.

Just my feeling on it. There is probably a logical reason for the cost but just because it connects to multiple device OS's I don't think that should be the reason for the difference in cost especially if it just does the same job as the VCDS that's out just now.

Again just my feelings. Feel free to flame. :)

its gonna need more hardware so it will cost more to make, a wifi chip for starters

Reactions: bearthebruce and NHN
Thanks for the info. I am holding off buying vcds and i was looking forward to this being released but I'm a bit disappointed that its going to be more expensive than the current VCDS.

Just my feeling on it. There is probably a logical reason for the cost but just because it connects to multiple device OS's I don't think that should be the reason for the difference in cost especially if it just does the same job as the VCDS that's out just now.

Again just my feelings. Feel free to flame. :)

As per Ste stated, wifi chips, plus any licensing for any technologies that may be employed, the R&D alone is a fortune for these devices & when you consider it now has to be tested & working across all these platforms, its a huge task as its going to be open to any OS on the market probably through a browser, subject to confirmation, so it will cost more as maintaining this may have more costs involved, its a no brainer IMHO & again when compared to VAG's ODIS/VAS cost, well that's self explanatory to most, not even in the same ballpark let alone planet.

Said as a user, not seller, I'm really looking forward to this product, it will allow us to break away from constraints of cable & just me alone will make my life easier :)

Reactions: bearthebruce
I must admit the mobile version suits me better to due to the fact I have no laptop anymore(kids and juice) only tablets and a desktop. So with that said I would probably be more inclined to buy the mobile VCDS as I would hope it would still work out cheaper than having to buy a cheap laptop and the cable version of VCDS.

I was issued my HEX-NET earlier this week. I need to go play on miss Tiggy this weekend! At that point, maybe I can shed more light on what can be done on the mobile devices.

How did you get on with this. Can you shed any more light on how it operates and an approximate time of release.

Well, let's just say the engineers had a few new quirks to work out! Supposed to be ready for my next go now... I need to find some time to make that go... meanwhile, they continue to work with other users as testing continues.

They, the engineers, are still hopeful for an end of 3rd Quarter release of the product. I still do not have pricing or other information about said release.

So, stay tuned... Just know, we are not going to release until we are fully satisfied the performance is what we desire. We want to continue the high quality mark we set with our present systems.

Reactions: Sandra
Well don't keep us waiting to long. I don't want to buy a new laptop.

And thanks for taking the time to keep us informed.

Has anyone seen or tried the new iOBD2 software from a company called Xtooluk ltd. I think this has been developed in China. There is a small item and an advert in this months (August 2013) Audi Driver magazine. The software can be downloaded free from iTunes or Google PlayStore but for it to work you need the hardware interface to plug in to the OBD port. This is a small item and cost £95.00. Their website is Products | iOBD2 | Advanced Engine Data Reader for Smartphones | T-Shirts & Merchandise

I've also been holding off buying the HEX-USB+CAN for some 4months now and getting quite desperate as I've got two AUDI's at home that could do with some VAGCOM treatment... I'm 100% Apple user with only a desktop iMac, iPad's & iPhone's and last thing I want to do is to buy a crappy PC laptop (that might decide to die on my at it's will) just to lock the HEX-USB+CAN to it... It would also be great if Ross -Tech could make an app or allow 3rd party developers just to pull the 'standard' real-time data from the HEX-NET so peaople can also use it as an ordinary OBD2 reader for monitoring real-time parameters in a nice user friendly manner. This would be awesome for people like me with iPad mini dash install and definitely would make it even more attractive purchase!!!!!

Has anyone seen or tried the new iOBD2 software from a company called Xtooluk ltd. I think this has been developed in China. There is a small item and an advert in this months (August 2013) Audi Driver magazine. The software can be downloaded free from iTunes or Google PlayStore but for it to work you need the hardware interface to plug in to the OBD port. This is a small item and cost £95.00. Their website is Products | iOBD2 | Advanced Engine Data Reader for Smartphones | T-Shirts & Merchandise

I've been keeping an eye on this product for some time. These are just simple OBD2 readers that allow you real time monitoring of some elementary vehicle functions (eg. speed, fuel consumption, temps etc.) and scan and delete ECU codes. Still something I'd like to have for my iPad mini in-dash install, but they don't seem to support iOS devices for their new iOBD2 VAG product (which seems to be made specificaly for VAG cars) at the moment and sort of reluctant to spent money on their old iOBD2 Original (with iOS support) when I know that Ross-Tech is coming with HEX-NET this year....

I've received the following from the Ross-Tech directly earlier on this month:

Getting VCDS-Mobile and the HEX-NET wireless interface ready has taken substantially longer than we had anticipated (or would have liked). Simply put, we found issues that needed to be addressed before we were comfortable with making production quantities. We believe these issues have now been resolved and production has begun.

We are now confident that we will be able to begin shipping units to customers this coming January (roughly 3 months from now). Initial production will be somewhat limited but will be ramped so we expect to have plenty of product available by the beginning of the 2nd quarter.

We know everyone is curious about price. We are still working final costs but the price is expected to be in the low $400 range - and if possible, below $400 - but no promises yet.

Upgrades will not be offered at the start. We will not offer them as upgrades until sufficient quantities are in stock - and that may not be until sometime in the 2nd Quarter.

For those who may be attending AAPEX or SEMA in Las Vegas November 5-8, Ross-Tech will be in booth 450 at AAPEX in the Sands Expo Center where we will be demonstrating VCDS-Mobile and HEX-NET live on a Beetle Cabrio as well as on stations where we will permit the attendees to connect to our demo stands with their own smart devices. We're excited to make this introduction to the market at the AAPEX Show.

As the end of the year gets closer, we will try to send you another email regarding the upcoming release of this product.

We thank you for your patience and understanding.

Kind Regards,

Bruce

Reactions: shariain