VCDS laptop/Tablet Recomendations

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
I'm thinking of getting a VCDS dedicated laptop/tablet but the choice is massive.

I like the Lenovo X201 and the Asus Transformer T100 but always open to other options.

I'm wondering what everyone else is using or would recommend for the task of VCDSing.

Have a look at the Argos shop on Fleabay.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Argos?category=175672&categoryName=Laptops & Netbooks

I have bought a few from them over the years for friends and family. Including several refurbished ones which have pretty much always seem to be like new.
I use an Asus netbook similar to this and it works fine.It came with windows 7 on but I made it dual boot with XP so I can run some of my older OBD, diagnostic stuff on it as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asus-X101...-RAM-/161466597286?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH

If you want a Lenovo

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-S2...ptop-/151458961272?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH

Karl.

Expansion jackets can be found on eBay for a fair price aswell as the tablets themselves, I've had both for ages & advantage of the extra battery is a godsend at times.

What about an original surface pro, I'm using a surface pro 3 and it works great with both VCDS & VCP. The only thing I wish it had was a second built in USB port!

I use the original surface pro with vcds, works really well and is nice and compact

Thanks for the info all.
I never thought about the surface pro.
I'll take a look at them

Doing a bit more looking last night and I keep coming back to the Lenovo X200 Tablet.

A lot of the tablet hybrids tend to have relatively small storage and once you put on windows and car software most of it has gone.

I currently got a 17" Dell laptop which is way to big for my needs.
I'm thinking of replacing that with this VCDS laptop, so it would need to do more than just VCDS, ETKA and Elsa.
A more laptop based item would be better with the chance of upgrading the hard drive and memory.

I'll take another look at the tablet hybrids.
The X200 Tablet looks like my favourite at the moment.
Plus it does the funky screen movement, which is cool.

If you going down the etka route then your best staying with 32bit OS, there are ways to get it working under 64bit but it's all a bit of a hack!

32 bit OS then gives you a 4Gig limit on RAM depending on what spec of laptop you end up with that probably won't be an issue.
I recently upgraded my desktop PC and bought one with WIN 7 PRO installed which is a 64bit system. I installed ETKA using the XP virtual machine and it runs fine. Elsa Win runs fine under W7.
I really don't like windows 8.
There are some programs I use that won't run on anything newer than XP which is why I made the netbook I use dual boot.

Karl.

Lots of US customers are liking the WinBook TW700 7" tablet with full Win 8.1 and a full USB 3.0. Here these have been had for as low as $79 USD - so like £40ish? You'll have search your Island for similar deals but we like them! Fits in the glove box nicely.

Got Audi - never leave home without VCDS!

yeah mine lives in the car now. the case that came with VCDS holds everything and juuuust about fits in the door pocket

no winbooks on uk ebay by the looks of it. around £65 delivered from the states, and no doubt an invoice from customs too!