VCDS help needed for B&O

goodbuzzman1

Reaction score
Hi.
So today I did my B&O retrofit on my 2015 s3 saloon.

Everything is installed however I fired up VCDS to code it in however I can’t figure out how to do it. When I go to open 47-Soundsystem, I’m getting ‘no response from controller’

Can someone advise me on what to do?

(I have genuine VCDS and I know I’ll also have to get the component protection removed)

If you cannot communicate with the B&O amp then it’s not installed correctly. Need to double check your copper and fibre connections, and 5F coding.
I have the amp connected to the mmi with the MOST bus.
what do you mean by Copper connections?

Copper = standard wires, but scratch that as all comms are over the MOST (optical).

If you have no communication with then AMP then:

1) its faulty
2) has a power / earth issue
3) has a MOST Issue
4) is not configured correct in the 5F

I’ll check it out this evening

I guess I’ll first check to see if the little fan is spinning as I don’t think the amp has any lights to indicate it’s on.

as for the 5f,
Bit 4 (active speakers installed) has a couple of different options
Bit 11 (internal sound system active) can be changed to external sound system active?
Bit 19 has an option to tick ‘MOST data bus installed’

should I do any of these?

Oh and I am I correct in saying that ‘47 soundsystem is where I need to get in to?

If you are taking on a retrofit like this then I would hazard a guess that you have a multi meter? Test that you have power and earth as a first check. After this check to see if the amp actually powers up, FAN or by leaving the unit on for a while to see if it gets warm. If all seems ok then you need to check your MOST connection and coding on 5F.

Communications to the AMP are sent through your 5F, in a basic sense its:

19 Gateway > (copper CAN Wire) > 5F MMI > MOST (Fibre Optic) > 47 AMP

If your MOST is reversed or has an open leg its not going to work. If your 5F is not configured correctly then it will not send communications to the MOST etc.

Reactions: 8YARWY
If you are taking on a retrofit like this then I would hazard a guess that you have a multi meter? Test that you have power and earth as a first check. After this check to see if the amp actually powers up, FAN or by leaving the unit on for a while to see if it gets warm. If all seems ok then you need to check your MOST connection and coding on 5F.

Communications to the AMP are sent through your 5F, in a basic sense its:

19 Gateway > (copper CAN Wire) > 5F MMI > MOST (Fibre Optic) > 47 AMP

If your MOST is reversed or has an open leg its not going to work. If your 5F is not configured correctly then it will not send communications to the MOST etc.
Thanks again for help Alex. I’ll have a look in the morning and troubleshoot it.

Ok so I have 12v up to the amp. I left the car running for a while to see if the Amp fan kicked in or if it heated up but it didn’t. To be honest, I don’t know if it would heat up while doing nothing anyway.

the MOST cable, I shone a torch down both cables.. all good. I noticed that no.1 amp side goes to no.2 MMI side ( in to out?) Is this correct?

green diagnostic cable is defo in the correct place in quadlock.

fuse is good, so

I’m guessing my 5F isn’t configured correctly as @DJAlix mentioned.

i don’t have communication to the amp.

Can someone advise me on what to do in VCDS , what needs to be activated or ticked for my car to see the amp?

Send > Recieve

fibre needs to make a loop in order to communicate.

have you completed any coding on your 5F for the retrofit as yet?
No I haven’t completed any coding. Not sure where to start to be honest.