VCDS FL S3, what kind of adjustments can be made?

Craig Cull

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Evening all, first of all ive had a scream getting to know you all and i hope things ive said havent been taking in too much of a bad spirit, i just like abit of banter and sometimes it can be taken in the wrong way... with that said ive also learned a few new phrases/references which i will make sure i use when im out with the enthusiasts that i like to see every now and again, i promise i wont take full credit for any of it...

Anyway ill cut to the chase..

Ive seen quite a few different comments from the VCDS guru's and id basically like to get a place where we can all go to see whats what and ask a few questions related to the PFL and FL S3/A3. Its probably been done but thered nothing worse than having to go through 500 pages to see whats what.

Ive spotted Magnetic ride adjustments in vcds, exhaust note change in vcds and what id like to know is what else can be done?

I use vcds daily so im wanting to test these things and post my results, but also i own a garage in Leeds called Project Customs Limited so id like to be able to help others loacally where needed.

So lets talk, what can be done and wheres the best place to start??
Im familiar with the B7 A4/RS4 chassis so the 8v is new to me but im not a novice, just basically playing a different game.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: samo26
What is the cheapest way of getting vcds?

Not keen on dropping £200+ on something I won't use that often and have seen the cables on amazon and the bay. What version of software works with the fl s3? Seen version 16.8.3 advertised.

Excellent, thanks for the quick reference

Reactions: Rob2k68
What is the cheapest way of getting vcds?

Not keen on dropping £200+ on something I won't use that often and have seen the cables on amazon and the bay. What version of software works with the fl s3? Seen version 16.8.3 advertised.
Cheapest way would be to message someone from the VCDS user map for assistance. v16.x will be needed for FL cars but will not be able to full code everything just yet.

Any VCDS being advertised for less than £230ish new and less than £170ish used is going to be fake. Versions 12.12.x and 15.7.1 from eBay etc are 100% fake.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Evening all, first of all ive had a scream getting to know you all and i hope things ive said havent been taking in too much of a bad spirit, i just like abit of banter and sometimes it can be taken in the wrong way... with that said ive also learned a few new phrases/references which i will make sure i use when im out with the enthusiasts that i like to see every now and again, i promise i wont take full credit for any of it...

Ive seen quite a few different comments from the VCDS guru's and id basically like to get a place where we can all go to see whats what and ask a few questions related to the PFL and FL S3/A3. Its probably been done but thered nothing worse than having to go through 500 pages to see whats what.

Ive spotted Magnetic ride adjustments in vcds, exhaust note change in vcds and what id like to know is what else can be done?

I use vcds daily so im wanting to test these things and post my results, but also i own a garage in Leeds called Project Customs Limited so id like to be able to help others loacally where needed.

Im familiar with the B7 A4/RS4 chassis so the 8v is new to me but im not a novice, just basically playing a different game.

Evening Craig, you enjoying the car? You will fit right in here in this section, banter is good. Lovely bunch of funny, friendly helpful guys and me. Don't get much better than that. Speak soon :) x

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Craig Cull
Evening Craig, you enjoying the car? You will fit right in here in this section, banter is good. Lovely bunch of funny, friendly helpful guys and me. Don't get much better than that. Speak soon :) x
Aww thanks Sandra :friends:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Sandra

Am collecting my new FL car on the 8th Dec and will be posting up my "VCDS" findings in the following days. From the information and data I have managed to collect so far, and from the cars I have seen, there are some differences in the way in which FL cars are programmed. I say "programmed" as opposed to the normal "coded and adapted" as it would seem that some of the new modules / firmware are MLB platform related, which require configuration over DoIP. Some options and features also need their "permission to be programmed" activating (via firmware) before they can be coded and adapted... something which VCDS is unable to do.

There is already an existing VCDS thread within the A/S3 forum. We might need to re-title it PFL and start an official FL thread and include Vag Can Professional. Will know more after the 8th Dec :)

Reactions: Rob2k68, Sandra and Craig Cull
Iam thanks Sandra, really good car. As you know ive had my mitts into some heavily modified Audi's in the past and to get similar power levels to what im seeing in the S3, ive had to invest good money. Its going on the dyno on friday hopefully to see what its pushing with the dtuk box, but also im going to by pass it to stock to see how close to factory figures it is.
Yeah they seem like a good bunch, looking forward to navigating my way round the S3, although performance is my main aim, im willing to learn as much as possible in order to help others.

Reactions: DJAlix, Rob2k68 and Sandra
Am collecting my new FL car on the 8th Dec and will be posting up my "VCDS" findings in the following days. From the information and data I have managed to collect so far, and from the cars I have seen, there are some differences in the way in which FL cars are programmed. I say "programmed" as opposed to the normal "coded and adapted" as it would seem that some of the new modules / firmware are MLB platform related, which require configuration over DoIP. Some options and features also need their "permission to be programmed" activating (via firmware) before they can be coded and adapted... something which VCDS is unable to do.

There is already an existing VCDS thread within the A/S3 forum. We might need to re-title it PFL and start an official FL thread and include Vag Can Professional. Will know more after the 8th Dec :)
I noticed when i plugged in yesterday that my current vcds is only ok to reset minor faults (airbag lights after bumper removal etc)
Ive got the update and new cable on route so ill be playing around on friday after the dyno run. Ill keep an eye on what your doing with yours and please feel free to tag me in any progress you make. Ive used odis when i used to work for the dealers. Again something id like to invest in if needs be.

Reactions: DJAlix and Rob2k68
I noticed when i plugged in yesterday that my current vcds is only ok to reset minor faults (airbag lights after bumper removal etc)
Ive got the update and new cable on route so ill be playing around on friday after the dyno run. Ill keep an eye on what your doing with yours and please feel free to tag me in any progress you make. Ive used odis when i used to work for the dealers. Again something id like to invest in if needs be.

Sounds like a plan! Click on my profile and give me a follow, will do the same with you :)

You should be able to more than just clear DTCs etc with the current cable. VCDS is currently playing catchup with regards to long coding labelling etc. It took from version 12.12.x to 15.7.x for MQB to be 80% supported, but anyone with Hex-Can is going to be a little limited on the FL :( Ross-Tech has said that they will be releasing a new cable next year, which will sit between the Hex Can and Hex Net cables price and feature wise.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Craig Cull
Sounds like a plan! Click on my profile and give me a follow, will do the same with you :)

You should be able to more than just clear DTCs etc with the current cable. VCDS is currently playing catchup with regards to long coding labelling etc. It took from version 12.12.x to 15.7.x for MQB to be 80% supported, but anyone with Hex-Can is going to be a little limited on the FL :( Ross-Tech has said that they will be releasing a new cable next year, which will sit between the Hex Can and Hex Net cables price and feature wise.
That explains it mate, im on 12.12 lol! Almost got to wind the thing up!
Ill follow you now mate, lets stay in the loop

Reactions: Sandra and Rob2k68
Iam thanks Sandra, really good car. As you know ive had my mitts into some heavily modified Audi's in the past and to get similar power levels to what im seeing in the S3, ive had to invest good money. Its going on the dyno on friday hopefully to see what its pushing with the dtuk box, but also im going to by pass it to stock to see how close to factory figures it is.
Yeah they seem like a good bunch, looking forward to navigating my way round the S3, although performance is my main aim, im willing to learn as much as possible in order to help others.

Post your dyno results up, be good to see Craig. :) x

Reactions: Craig Cull and Daytonapig
Post your dyno results up, be good to see Craig. :) x
Im not sure im going to get time now tomorrow, but if things get quieter towards xmas i will defo be taking a trip over asap. I need to put my mind at ease. I also want to know if my mental dyno is as accurate as the actual dyno

Reactions: Sandra
Will save the detail for the existing VCDS thread, or indeed and new FL thread, but just had a M17 A3 8V 150TDI in for some mods. The following worked without issue:
  1. Alarm Beep on Lock
  2. Alarm Beep on Unlock
  3. Tone when Locking MMI Control Menu
  4. Automatic Rain Closing
  5. Motorway Lights
  6. Rain Lights
  7. Lap Timer Display in Virtual Cockpit
  8. Oil Temp Display in Virtual Cockpit
  9. Sports Display Mode in Virtual Cockpit (G Meter)
  10. Video in Motion
  11. MMI Menu Usage Restriction Removal (speed limits)
  12. Wiper Service Position MMI Menu
I tested Optical Parking Display, the car in question only had rear sensors, but could not get this working in the time I had to play around.

IMG 4885 squashed IMG 4886 squashed

Reactions: azibux1 and Craig Cull
Will save the detail for the existing VCDS thread, or indeed and new FL thread, but just had a M17 A3 8V 150TDI in for some mods. The following worked without issue:
  1. Alarm Beep on Lock
  2. Alarm Beep on Unlock
  3. Tone when Locking MMI Control Menu
  4. Automatic Rain Closing
  5. Motorway Lights
  6. Rain Lights
  7. Lap Timer Display in Virtual Cockpit
  8. Oil Temp Display in Virtual Cockpit
  9. Sports Display Mode in Virtual Cockpit (G Meter)
  10. Video in Motion
  11. MMI Menu Usage Restriction Removal (speed limits)
  12. Wiper Service Position MMI Menu
I tested Optical Parking Display, the car in question only had rear sensors, but could not get this working in the time I had to play around.

View attachment 111228 View attachment 111229
You absolute legend! G metre! Had this in the R8 V10 round croft circuit the other month! Didnt get chance to look at it due to entering corners at 130mph but it looked the ****!
We're gonna have some fun with this!

Last edited by a moderator: