VCDS cable HEX-USB-CAN S4 B9?

zippster

Reaction score
Hey all

just about to join the S4 club (car currently on its way to the dealer)and was wondering if my VCDS cable is now useless on my new 2017 S4 Avant?

I bought it last year and its the HEX-USB+CAN version but after reading this entire forum it would appear that its useless on the new b9 platform??

can anyone confirm as if so ill see if I can sell it to a fellow S3 8v owner on the other forum..

thanks in advance

Andy ..
IMG 0877

Last edited:
I've got a 2.0TFSi on order and wondering the same!

Pete

Reactions: zippster
With the latest VCDS software you can code some but not all modules. There is a comment about this on the VCDS site somewhere.

Reactions: DJAlix and zippster
With the latest VCDS software you can code some but not all modules. There is a comment about this on the VCDS site somewhere.

thanks for the info, I've not managed to find the comment on the site yet but I assumed this might be the case.

As stated above VCDS will work with no issues with some modules in the new MLBevo platform cars. For diagnostics, anything coding and adaptation related it will not be an issue but many options / retrofits that previously were completed via coding are now completed via parameterisation and TEXT Coding, which VCDS cannot do.

Has the cable been registered? If so then the new owner, in order to receive support from Ross-Tech, will need to pay a transfer / new registration free, around $80 I think. The cable will work without this though.

Reactions: T-800
thanks for the info, I've not managed to find the comment on the site yet but I assumed this might be the case.

On this page https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchuc/ it says:

As of April 15, 2016, we have learned that some 2016 and newer MQB based models may contain certain modules which are not accessible with the HEX-USB+CAN.

and http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/old-interfaces/huc.php where its says:

Compatibility:

This interface works with all diagnostic-capable VW, Audi, Seat, and Skoda models from 1990 through 2015.
It does NOT fully support the following vehicles:

• 2016+ Audi Q7 (Rest-of-World) Chassis 4M (2017+ North American Region chassis F7)
  • 2016+ Audi A4 B9 (Rest-of-World) chassis 8W (2017+ North American Region chassis F4).

Reactions: zippster
Thanks guys I think I'm going to sell it and buy obdeleven ..

Thanks for the info.

Reactions: DarGri and Sandra