VC retrofit and advice appreciated

adamg78

Reaction score
Hi forum

I have purchased this $380 including 2 week shipping

www.aliexpress.com/item/33007906183.html?src=google&src=google&albch=shopp ing&acnt=708-803-3821&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&al bagn=888888&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false &albcp=11492545420&albag=112296941236&trgt=5392630 10115&crea=en33007906183&netw=u&device=c&albpg=539 263010115&albpd=en33007906183&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlY va1o_c8gIVi4JLBR01rwMcEAQYAiABEgL4Z_D_BwE&gclsrc=a w.ds&aff_fcid=5d017ad38aa7439cba46147d729a1626-1630442521221-00351-UneMJZVf&aff_fsk=UneMJZVf&aff_platform=aaf&sk=UneM JZVf&aff_trace_key=5d017ad38aa7439cba46147d729a162 6-1630442521221-00351-UneMJZVf&terminal_id=7260343f59584337907a766cbb418 87f

I have these 2 part numbers for the VC and am not sure which to choose

Virtual Cockpit Display -LCD Instrument Cluster: 8V0-920-790-A or 8v0-920-790-c prices at wreckers are from $650-$900 depending on who you call, Anyone know which to choose or are both ok ?

Am aware of the following, Help with these notes below would be amazing.. the only thing that scares me is the gateway

1 cutting the dash
2 mmi needs to be updated or only half the screen will show on the VC
3 If I get one from a A3 I will need to code the logo to S3 which maybe be possible, Also Kms will not be able to be changed unless the VC is under 100kms But true kms will be stored else where
4 If I don't upgrade my steering wheel with one with a view button I wont be able to change the layout of the dials
5 If I upgrade the steering wheel there is a possibility that the view button wont work and a new gateway would be needed
6 can I at home plug in the new dash and test that it turns on ? I know the car wont start with this dash as needed to have keys coded
7 If I plug the VC in and it works and then plug my old dash in to drive to Audi for coding do you see any errors which might upset the car from starting after a quick test of the VC to confirm its working ?
8 the gateway is hit and miss with the view button working straight away with the facelift steering wheel. If I need to update the gateway would you have any idea on the type of gateway or a part number at all ?

All advice regarding this so very appreciated and I have exhausted all my internet skills to resources this information and am not aware of anyone in Australia doing this as yet. I have a Audi dealer who is close who is willing to code the VC to the car for $190

My Audi is a MY2015 S3, Have been reading post and due to my limited knowledge haven't been able to contribute but where possible I will and am learning more every day

thank you.

You know you can't just retrofit these units.. You need to get them new and unlocked by Audi or something, not really sure how it works out but you can't retrofit a used one, I'm pretty sure about that though. But I know for sure that these are a pain to retrofit. You cant just plug it in, the immo will stop starting of the car. You'll need to drive to Audi and then swap the unit and let it code by them as your car won't drive with a detached unit or unknown unit that hasn't been coded.

Hey

thanks for the input, the only reason I wouldn't go for a 2nd hand one over a new one is the odometer reading as it will not be the true kms of the car but this is also stored in the ecu and the mmi, from what I have been told. Yes I'm aware that it just cant be plugged in and will work that's why I covered this in my post above asking for advice on if I can plug in and check it works ( turns somewhat on ) before having it coded by Audi. what I wasn't sure of was If I plug in the VC to confirm it lights up somewhat/ limited functions / remove and put old dash back in that the car will still start. I knows its a big gamble but with the wreakers in Aus these VC's are cheap enough I fell It would be a gamble I could take

appreciate your help with this, have seen it done but no one here in Australia offers is as a retrofit from what I have seen but luckily I have a Audi dealer who is willing to give it a go

Before you buy every single part needed you should just buy the virtual cockpit as they need to be approved by Audi. It is said to be hit and miss with no guarantee. I would try to get the cockpit cheap or have the ability to return it incase gets declined. Or else will have a paper weight or would have to resell it back.

Even if you have an old gateway that part is cheap on eBay so wouldn’t worry too much about that. Also the mileage can be adapted by only going up. So you would need to get a cockpit with lower mileage than your car.

Finally without the steering wheel you will have limited control so yes need one with the view button.

Reactions: adamg78
Hey, thank you for the help

With the gateway do you know a part number at all?

Yeah the VC is coming from a wrecker I’ve delt with in the past and they only buy good damaged cars so as far as I’m aware Audi shouldn’t have any issue programming it to the car as it’s not stolen and if it was I would be able to return it as this is not something I would want any part of.

Do you know if I can plug it up in the car and just check that it works (I know it will have limited functions and car won’t start ect) I just want to know it’s working so can have it coded by Audi. If I plug it up and then plug back my old dash to drive to Audi do you see any issues with car been connected to the other dash / vc for 5-10 minutes

Thank you really appreciate your assistance

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, thank you for the help

With the gateway do you know a part number at all?

Yeah the VC is coming from a wrecker I’ve delt with in the past and they only buy good damaged cars so as far as I’m aware Audi shouldn’t have any issue programming it to the car as it’s not stolen and if it was I would be able to return it as this is not something I would want any part of.

Do you know if I can plug it up in the car and just check that it works (I know it will have limited functions and car won’t start ect) I just want to know it’s working so can have it coded by Audi. If I plug it up and then plug back my old dash to drive to Audi do you see any issues with car been connected to the other dash / vc for 5-10 minutes

Thank you really appreciate your assistance

Adam

Well, unfortunately this is not possible anymore from Feb / 2021

Audi have a new procedure which comes up in Odis which is paperwork/ email and needs to manually be approved before the next step in Odis can happen. Know of 3 ppl who have tried and get knocked back

If anyone has anything to add or knows of anyone anywhere that can get around this send me a message

Adam

AS far as it stands now, as far as i know.

s3 and rs3 only have the center dial, and unless you buy an rs3 or an s3 vc the only way to get the center dial is to buy a new VC.
I know a4 and up is possible to add the center dial on used cluster in Russia...a3 it doesnt specify...
I have a 2013 diesel with rs3 dials..

For the retrofit you need view steeringwheel (with airbag). No need for new gateway. Just flash current gateway with AM software if it doesnt work.

VC IMMO and CP: You need a official licenced odis. As these retrofits will be checked with a form mailed to VAG. Prepare for 2 days to get confirmation.After this the VC is ready for CP and immo,

For VC retrofit cut, get a white marker, put in the vc bezel as far as possible, draw cutout.. Cutout with osscilating saw.

MMI: For a prefacelift, the only real way to make it work is to buy a hacked unit (or hack it yourself.)
MMI needs to be updated as these prefacelift only have 1 video output....
8v1035035 (dab) or 8v1035036 (no dab). Be carefull not to buy the 8v0035035 as these are prefacelift.
Also the 81a035035 ad 81a035036.
There are also 8v1035038 and 8v1035039 ive seen for sale.
After coding there will be an CP error in MMI but it works perfect.
Audi connect: Forget it. Not going to work.. IF the salvage car has a live audi connect licence, you can try to get this car registered on you audi account. Thus only to extend the licence.. Once vag scraps the car bcz its totalled.. audi connect is gone...
Google earth/ satelite maps.: Google earth is gone...Want simular satelite maps? Upgrade mmi to latest version and rehack... You also must have a live audi connect from donor car.
As soon as you remove CP the MMI wont look at the donor car vin and audi connect is gone.

USB:

2 types work for carplay and AA:
1 is the dual usb in center console
2 is 1 in center console, 1 under climate control.
Golf parts dont work....
Android auto and carplay is part of the mmi hack, as is unlimited maps, bluetooth..
Maps you can use the golf 7,5 discovery pro.

As for the vc a/b/c designations. Youll find it hard to find the diffences as a user... c is newest.

Do you have a towbar? My VC didnt like the towbar... Needed to upgrade to facelift module, and wireing is not the same...

Have acc? Prepare to upgrade to 3g acc sensor as the vc doesnt like the round sensor. It works, but no moving objects.

Have side assist? Dont code the side assist in VC As it doesnt like the prefacelift sideassist.
It works perfectly, And you can code it in MMI. But trows error in VC.

To have most options in VC working you need the rainbowbox (aliexpress) The more expensive ones also have working g-meter.

Prepare to code the car several days.... These upgrades are hard. Best to have someone with odis.

Hey

Wow, thank you for the very in-depth reply

1. I have a way forward atm but haven’t added to the post until I get to the next step

2. I have a VAS5054a and a person who is amazing who has a official ODIS account

3. I have the MIB2 from the donor car that the VC came from on hold so I know it’s compatible and yes the hack is only way forward for me

4 no side assist, toe bar, acc (unfortunately, but in this case makes it easier for me)

5 I have been told of a application approved by Audi for a retrofit of vc in a 8v after feb so am still moving forward with it.

6. Yep centre dial I’m aware of but the one thing I would like to change one day is the logo from a a3 to s3 in the vc ( I’m hoping one day )

7. Kms can be rolled forward but not back, this is done with a test bench wiring harness from China which I will get when and if I get it installed with cp removed.

8. Gateway(maybe) and steering wheel/airbag are the last steps for me if I get it installed but I know are needed

Appreciate your time

Adam

My steerringwheel wasnt working due to GW. Upgradeing GW to AM solved it..(need vcp)
Get Vin from donor car and try to register the car on my audi as your 2nd car.
Again do not remove CP on MMI.. It will ruin the change of a working audi connect on prefacelift.
Hack mmi.
S3 and RS3 logo's are not an issue.

No idea if the boost meter works on the s3pfl with vc.. On mine it doesnt work.

PM me if you need more info..

ACC is an easy upgrade if you are ok with the round sensor and the drawbacks..Did install a set for 250euros.. (hobby)
Facelift stalks are plug n play!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mark

Thank you

I’m posting here because I can’t figure out how to pm you with this forum (lol)

Can you explain the possibility of changing the logo on startup for the VC from A3 to S3 as I was told this isn’t possible over 100kms as they get locked ?

If you can figure out how to PM shoot me a message and will reply

For anyone else who’s stumbled onto this thread when I get to the next steps will post an outcome as after Feb this year I havnt seen a post exactly covering authorised Audi and 2nd hand VC getting the ok.

In fact I know of 2 units that were knocked back by Audi but I’m sure these were 2nd hand ODIS accounts - I’m sure also this is the main reason why Audi have this new procedure as to stop these Chinese players from making money and the harm they could cause through deceptive conduct with immo protection/ steeling cars / key program

Cheers

Yeah Cairns mate.. hot as hell atm not even summer

Would you be able to share the information on been able to change the logo on the VC, I have vcds / obdeleven

Cheers

Adam

Cluster: Gives rs3 startup logo, no center dials... (change byte by byte...)
04FF02022FB0003C0D94FF05C08C300000000000

MMI: rs3 startup. (change byte by byte)
01735301FF0A000011113101C08F02102F0028B501700000FE

Cluster: Gives rs3 startup logo, no center dials... (change byte by byte...)
04FF02022FB0003C0D94FF05C08C300000000000

MMI: rs3 startup. (change byte by byte)
01735301FF0A000011113101C08F02102F0028B501700000FE

Cheers Mark

I’ll give it a go, I’m just about to wash the S3 and the mk7 when I’m done will sit down again and put a list together of all the information you have kindly provided me.

The gateway update also was a surprise (AM) will note that also

Adam

If your car is newer then 2013, youll probably have a working GW for view SW..

For the USB: if you have the FACRA pinout you can see the A3 uses 2 usb connections on the facra.
Power and ground are coming directly from mmi. (not over facra)
VW uses 1 usb and the power and ground.

Cheers Mark

I’ll give it a go, I’m just about to wash the S3 and the mk7 when I’m done will sit down again and put a list together of all the information you have kindly provided me.

The gateway update also was a surprise (AM) will note that also

Adam

Hello Adam, just curious, could you retrofit the vc on your car? this is the only thread I could find after february 21 that refers to this topic. Sadly after I bought a used VC :/

Hey

Unfortunately no, but I could take further steps which I haven’t. Basically my local dealer wouldn’t code it / immo, cp because it’s not fitted correctly (not willing to cut dash until I know it’s coded to car )

Apparently it’s still possible 2/5 times but more successful if your car had the option to come with it from factory. Yes paperwork.

Remember genuine Vas not a 5054 clone.

Good luck

Hey

Unfortunately no, but I could take further steps which I haven’t. Basically my local dealer wouldn’t code it / immo, cp because it’s not fitted correctly (not willing to cut dash until I know it’s coded to car )

Apparently it’s still possible 2/5 times but more successful if your car had the option to come with it from factory. Yes paperwork.

Remember genuine Vas not a 5054 clone.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply, my car has the option from factory cause its a facelift (think its called technology package or something), but I bought it used with the analog cluster and since I found a very good deal on ebay for the VC I just bought it without the proper research.

Is it a new new? If so no problem can do cp/immo at home with a clone Vas and a AliExpress account

The problem is only for used clusters mate. Has traveled through all vag brands now.

New clusters don’t trigger paperwork step.

Is it a new new? If so no problem can do cp/immo at home with a clone Vas and a AliExpress account

The problem is only for used clusters mate. Has traveled through all vag brands now.

New clusters don’t trigger paperwork step.

Unfortunately no, it's used. My car is an etron 2017 and the donor car an etron 2018. they have other parts available like the display and the center console and maybe the mmi of the same car. Was wondering that if I buy those Icould make it work.

No, but yes, but would trigger cp/immo on gearbox then whole process would have to start again including vc. So no

Have gone through this myself as an idea.

Basically all cp/immo modules with gateway was an idea I had also.

No, but yes, but would trigger cp/immo on gearbox then whole process would have to start again including vc. So no

Have gone through this myself as an idea.

Basically all cp/immo modules with gateway was an idea I had also.

Thanks for the help Adam. Guess I'll use the vc as a paperweight now

Thanks for the help Adam. Guess I'll use the vc as a paperweight now. So in case that I still want the vc im going to need a new one and the steering wheel (mine don't have the view button), display mmi etc? sounds pretty expensive!

Thanks for the help Adam. Guess I'll use the vc as a paperweight now

Contact the other user above I’ll message them and let him chime in

If your willing to spend a few dollars on a gamble success is still possible 2/5 times. Fact is I just have other goals atm and vc is unfortunately not it due to family commitments and been in Australia away from all the great retrofitters in UK and NL

Contact the other user above I’ll message them and let him chime in

If your willing to spend a few dollars on a gamble success is still possible 2/5 times. Fact is I just have other goals atm and vc is unfortunately not it due to family commitments and been in Australia away from all the great retrofitters in UK and NL

Maybe Ill give it a try, Im still waiting the VC to arrive. Lets see. Thx Again mate