VC Data Usage

rcb27

Reaction score
I'm curious how much data the virtual cockpit and other tech in the car uses? I understand that the car will use the embedded SIMfor this, but if I install my own (to use the Wifi hotspot) then all the data will go via the added SIM.

I'm not 100% sure I'll end up adding my own SIM. The wifi hotspot is very much a nice to have rather than a must have.

But for £10/mo SIM I could be tempted - my partner is always running out of data and I'd like to be able to use the laptop/ipad in car (not while driving of course) without having to hotspot off my phone.

The VC uses no wireless data .. it’s hard coded (data stored in embedded flash memory). As it’s a cluster instrument, it has a higher design integrity requirement (safety level) than the MMI which could can fail and you can still drive. If you have zero data, all the essential functions in the VC continue.

Thanks, Nham68 - I guess I meant the whole MMI system but confused things by saying VC. Probably because you can see the Google Earth maps on the VC - is that imagery cached or downloaded on the fly?

I'm trying to get a feel for how much data is being transferred over the eSIM connection (typically)...

I have a similar question really regarding data use. Even when I'm not using an application that uses data, the little arrows above LTE/4G/3G appear which normally mean that data is being transmitted or received. You'd be pretty annoyed if the thing was chewing through data and all you're doing is listening to the radio. I guess the only thing to do would be spend £10 on a PAYG SIM with a few GB and see how long it lasts.

There's a data usage page somewhere in the MMI.

It can use the embedded sims, somewhere in this forum it has been posted hiw much data is used and it's not a lot...

My bugbear with the whole in-car wifi is that you either use the embedded SIM for Google Earth, Audi Connect, etc. and buy a data package for the WiFi, or you get your own SIM, which is then used for everything.

Why can't it do both, i.e. embedded for the car functions, and own SIM for Wifi?!

When you run out of data in the VC, google earth looses the detail in the maps but the routes etc still work.