Reaction score
Website
audi-sport.net
IMG_0876.jpg

Well...

Roll up...

Let the public decide :)

:laugh:

Vectras are better cars than the press would have us believe, but they are definitely not cool. If you're hell-bent on a family saloon for the same money, buy a Mondeo instead.

My mate spent £££'s on a 2.0 GSI turbocharging it with a Courtney Turbo conversion, and it eats V6's for breakfast.
Suprisingly, it could keep up with my S3 in a straight line, in the dry at least, which was his aim apparently... so I sneakily got mine remapped without him knowing, he then had no chance lol.(sad I know) :racer:

jojo said:
My mate spent £££'s on a 2.0 GSI turbocharging it with a Courtney Turbo conversion, and it eats V6's for breakfast.
Suprisingly, it could keep up with my S3 in a straight line, in the dry at least, which was his aim apparently... so I sneakily got mine remapped without him knowing, he then had no chance lol.(sad I know) :racer:

The chappy with the Merc? :)

Yeah, wasn't a 2.0 GSi,.....................because they never made one LOL ;)

I remember the magazine feature though,...................quite a talked about car.

And yes, that's MY old Vectra hatch at the top of the page LOL!!!

That beige is 'Ttanium' I'll have you know.

I certainly never bought it to be cool, but it was a mint car that was for sale round the corner with FSH.

I paid £3K for it with 70K miles on the clock. Two and a half years and 20K miles later, I sold it for £1900,.........................and my only expense was a rear suspension bush and a set of tyres.

It carried my drums to gigs, my missus to work, our family up to Lancashire and back several times (600 mile round trip), endless runs to the tip and DIY stores during house renovations, car shows etc etc etc,..............and it NEVER missed a beat, not once :sm4:

Cheap motoring I'd say.

Dan Gliballs said:
The chappy with the Merc? :)

Yeah, wasn't a 2.0 GSi,.....................because they never made one LOL ;)

I remember the magazine feature though,...................quite a talked about car.

Ha, you've heard of him too lol, it was an SRI then no?

That mercedes SLK AMG32 is a rapid machine!

jojo said:
*Ha, you've heard of him too lol, it was an SRI then no?

*That mercedes SLK AMG32 is a rapid machine!

*Yeah, I think it was initially.

*Proper poser's car LOL!!! Belongs in Chelsea ;)

Errrm, nobody IS............

**EDIT** Good God yes, somebody said it IS LOL!!!

DavidR said:
as well as being inept with a wrench...

That's a little harsh,.........Vauxhalls have been very good to me over the years (aesthetics on some aside).

benw123 said:
Vectras are better cars than the press would have us believe, but they are definitely not cool. If you're hell-bent on a family saloon for the same money, buy a Mondeo instead.

Absolutely not cool in any way - that incarnation Vectra was a shocking car. I had the pleasure of owning two V6 Mundaneos, including an ST24 - the ST24 was a great drive and a very versatile and pretty comfortable family car - until the gearbox went south and I bought something a bit more solid........

mickey_a6 said:
I had the pleasure of owning two V6 Mundaneos, including an ST24 - the ST24 was a great drive and a very versatile and pretty comfortable family car

Has the whole forum gone mad?

This guy's about as deluded as Dan...

Someone fetch the happy pills please :)

Is this a gentle wind-up that I'm rising to now, or personal insults from the admin?

I can take banter aswell as the next man BTW.

Should be taken as the light hearted wind up that I suspect you are rising to ever so slightly...

No offense intended... All good humour with the best wishes :)

Had Vectra's as company cars for years when I was a lowly mobile server engineer. They were crap although I'll say this for them, you can hit quite severe speed bumps at 35-40mph without damaging them. They also make fantastic cars for doing J-turns etc in as well.

The later 2.6V6 I had as my last was a pretty good engine, smooth and returning 30+mpg on a cruise, like all Vectra's though the rest of the car was utter pants.

It's a Vauxhall!

Replacing the CHAVALIER as the car of choice for...

Uninsured, drink drivers! (no current keeper at DVLA either)

Mandala said:
The later 2.6V6 I had as my last was a pretty good engine, smooth and returning 30+mpg on a cruise, like all Vectra's though the rest of the car was utter pants.

Bearing in mind this thread is about the Vectra V6, as opposed to just the Vectra, you have got it spot on. Excellent engine, dreadful car.

i had a 97 cdx, loads of toys and leather seats. they are very uncool but suprisingly easy to live with, fairly reliable and get them on the motorway and they will show up some cooler cars, the top speed was nothing to be shy about,147mph is the top. loads of midrange grunt too, but they are uncool!!!

Ohhh, sorry to bump this thread - but I thought I'd better come clean!

I used to own two V6 Vectras. The first was a '99 S reg 2.5 GSI in black - very fast, and handled very well (after ditching the shyte standard-fit Bridgestones). It was just too fragile though, wearing out steering rack, and all suspension bushes after 30k miles. Oh, the gearbox was crap though - the Saab F25 gearbox had useless gear ratios, with a massive gap between 3rd and 4th !!!

A "promise" of improvements to the suspension and other bits on the face-lifted Vectra tempted me into another one. My second was a 51 reg 2.6 GSI - didn't keep this one long enough to find out - got a full refund after 6 months. A little-end bearing failed within 6,000 miles (caused by a manufacturing defect), and the replacement engine failed after 500 miles, when they (Vauxhall UK) eventually admitted that a whole batch of V6 engines left the assembly plant with the bolts only one cylinder head tightend correctly! :scared2: :motz: It did have a better Getrag gearbox though!

Seriously UNCOOL!!!

There will NEVER anything cool about a Vectra!!

I usually get a 54 plate Vectra 3.2 GSi with full Irmscher bodykit & 19" alloys as my courtesy car when i take my Evo for services etc. It's ok, quite quick but still not cool ;) Altho quite a few of the lads at work loved it

Craig :cool:

Had a red mk1 Vectra saloon which if styled up as a supertouring. Lovely car, was a lot better to drive once i'd got some big fat Mille Miglia Actions & Eibach springs on it. Also had a Supersprint cat back exhaust which had no mid-section silencer, sounded great but then a few years ago i liked the car to make a big noise & be noticed. Nowadays i prefer the sound of my 3.0 Quattro Sport doing 4k+ rpm fighting for grip going round a roundabout faster than you should be!!!:racer:
Also knew a bloke with a GSI who took a 1mm drill bit to his nitrous injector nozel, took the car to Santa Pod & blew the top off the engine. He then decided to get a 3.2 V6 transplant from an Omega with various fiddles like Kent cams, remap, nitrous, induction kit & exhaust & the thing was as lumpy as Jordans chest on idle but foot down it was a tyre shredder! Tested at 260bhp without the nitrous from a front wheel drive family saloon, madness!!

Seriously uncool but a good hack for naff all cash. Friend of mine got himself a tidy 98 car for just £900. That's throw away car money

Oranoco said:
Seriously uncool but a good hack for naff all cash. Friend of mine got himself a tidy 98 car for just £900. That's throw away car money

Agree but it's still night time driving only!

I had 3 vectra's 1.GSI V6 ESTATE, w reg.very rare car full MSD conversion new from a vauxhall dealer,2.SRI 2.5 v6 wreg nice car with some mods.3.GSI v6 xreg hatchback. All 3 cars were great and never let me down even with massive engine mods on most of them.I sold my last GSI to by THE NEW SHAPE Volvo S40 in 2004.

i may be wrong but didnt clarckson loose his job on top gear due to slagging of the vectra? had two v6 vectras over the years and yea the engine was great but it is still a uncool car.