Various "Races" and competions using company cars

OutLore

VOIP Dude
Reaction score
My line manager has just got his new Saab 9-3.... boy that thing is quick! 1.9TiD (I like that, personalised for me) 150 brake, this this shifts like a cat in some hot stuff.

However.... he was making a big deal of his "13 speaker sound system" so we had a little sound off..... Audi 1, Saab, 0.

Then, the real race.... electric window racing. From the 3rd floor, using remote fobs only, quickest to fully open and then fully closed....

Audi 2, Saab, 0.

Not looking forward to the 1/4 mile test - he's going to whoop my ***....

Had to laugh though cos he stalled it a couple of times, "I'm not used to it yet" - Funny, I said - I never stalled mine at all... he still didn't work out why /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I came close to buying the Saab Tid150.

In fact,it was on the day that I was due to place the order that I noticed Audi had started the S-line on the sportback,so I plumped for that.

I had a Tid for an extended roadtest and it was a great car,although I would doubt it's as quick as the A3 as it's a much bigger car.

The refinement levels are much higher than the A3 though.

I just think it feels quicker... could be cos it's a manual though.

In what way do you think refinement is better in the Saab? I think the interior seems a little dreary and plasticy to be honest... and that steering wheel is disgusting, it looks like it should be fitted to a 70's Volvo.

All in all it's a nice car though... looks really nice from the outside.

[quoteThis will be my last Audi as,frankly,it's just not worth the money we paid for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

bowfer, I dont mean this to come across as being arsey, but the few things that you dislike about the car are:

1. Either switchable ( off ) in case of Auto lock and seat belt warning.
2. DSG - Many, many people like it including me. Was this a large error on your part not even test driving before buying !

Personally, I dont see these as faults or reason to slag Audi.

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I dont see these as faults or reason to slag Audi.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just my opinion.

Someone noticed my car in the carpark the other day and commented it looked nice.
They asked what it cost.
When I told them it cost over £23k,they laughed and I had to agree with them that it's daft money for a car of this size and type.

The biggest thing that bugs me is,you're right,the DSG (which I despise,but it was that or nothing with the S-line pack) but there are many many other things that really disappoint me and make me take interest in any threads about the competition,especially those I nearly bought.

bowfer, really sorry you dont like it mate.

The point about a freind / colleague noticing it though !.....Take it he didn't notice the other cars in the car park. He / she had taste, but maybe not fortunate enough to afford one ?.

Yours is a nice looking car, and i'm sure if a manual version had been available you'd be happy. So perhaps you were forced in to DSG rather than choosing it because you really wanted / enjoyed it's benefits.

We are all different, and it would be a boring world if we weren't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Agreed Japper and perhaps I am being a wee bit unkind as my car is bumming me out just now.

A manual,a manual,my kingdom for a manual.

Back to the thread though...

What colour Saab did the guy go for ?

I was going for,without checking the name,the 'steel grey' I think it was called.

A definite hint of lilac to it in sunlight and very smart.

Yep - Steel Grey... thats the only decent colour they do... and they have some really nasty colours in the line up "Cappucino Black" is one - it's the most disgusting brown I have ever seen... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Did he go for the light interior or the dark one ?

Which model is it ?

I was going to go for the Vector sport,with some extras.

I have an A3 3.2 Q S-Line, and my business partner (both are company cars) has a top of the range convertable (9-3 Aero I think)... he is SO envious of my interior (and the SatNav too - his is nothing in comparison) and the power. His was more espensive than mine... both with the same options.

(From Memory) Its a Vector Sport, pretty much all the options, cream leather interior, Steel Grey....

Sat Nav looks good - but I don't have it in my car so I have nothing to compare it to.

I see your point about comparisons, but then think about this: Had I ordered the same options, my car would have been approx 1k more, yet mine is not in the same class - IE the A3 is a small hatch where the 9-3 is a medium saloon (A4 size) IIRC the A4 was about 4k more with the same options.

Still prefer mine though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

The Saab out handles an A4 as well,although it would struggle against an A3.

As you say though,it's a bigger car all round.

Pass on my congrats,he's bought a nice motor and thumbs up to him for choosing to be a wee bit 'different'.

Oh handling wise my car is well over the top of the Saab, and he has the sport chassis, but then the car is physically much bigger and is a saloon so will suffer there too.

Another colleague has ordered a Vector Sport as well, but the 120 brake version in plain black, so he wont be the only one in the car park...

As I said previously it is a lovely car....

Yeah,Saab are definitely trying to get away from the 'stuffy' image they've had for years.

The styling is quite bold and aggressive and certainly better than the 'bland-mobile' styling of the new A4,which I struck off my list as soon as I saw one.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah,Saab are definitely trying to get away from the 'stuffy' image they've had for years.

The styling is quite bold and aggressive and certainly better than the 'bland-mobile' styling of the new A4,which I struck off my list as soon as I saw one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, both Saab and Volvo's styling have come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years. I don't feel the Audi's are bland and indeed their interior / exterior styling to be one of their strongest points. A bit like BMW's of old, being subtle in their styling meaning that they age well and not look outdated in two years. This to me is the art of exterior styling, unlike recent BM's that look cr*p now no mind 2 years down the line.

[ QUOTE ]
[
Yep, both Saab and Volvo's styling have come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of years. I don't feel the Audi's are bland and indeed their interior / exterior styling to be one of their strongest points. A bit like BMW's of old, being subtle in their styling meaning that they age well and not look outdated in two years. This to me is the art of exterior styling, unlike recent BM's that look cr*p now no mind 2 years down the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd normally agree with you Japper and actually liked the styling of my A4,but the new A4 is just a dog's dinner,IMO.
It just doesn't look 'right'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Couldn't agree more - I was looking for an A4, and was a little /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif that the lease company only had the new ones on the list (even though there were special deals being done on the older model). I went to a local dealer, thinking that I might just "fall" for it once I got inside.... problem was, they had a Sportback right next to it.... the rest, as they say, is history.

Outlore,I've had two Saabs and can confirm that your colleagues crap stereo will be improved no end by a change of head unit.

Even though the Saab headunit is much bigger than a normal one,Saab do a kit which changes the spare space underneath into a cubby hole.

I seem to remember that Saab's stuff (certainly their multichangers) are Pioneer and that's what I chose as my replacement.

(Could be Clarion actually,the old memory isn't em....thingy )

Outlore,

Have you raced gear changes? Think you may win that one too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bowfer, appreciate you don't like your DSG but didn't you realise it wasn't a manual?!?

[ QUOTE ]

Bowfer, appreciate you don't like your DSG but didn't you realise it wasn't a manual?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

easy tiger!

Unfortunately I totally agree with Bowfer's verdict on the A3. Strange thing is, everyone thinks I've got a really cool "thinking mans BMW" type of car, but I know its just a tarted up Golf with front wheel drive, awful handling and poor refinement.

I am still fairly happy - you get used to the faults after a while - but I doubt very much I'll have another unless

a) Audi make some major improvements to future models or
b) My boss lets me have Quattro and a whole load of mods.

Why does everyone diss the a3 as being an expensive golf? I really dislike the new golf and unless they change the interior and sort the styling I wont be buying one. This is coming from a hardened VW fan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've had 5 golfs, a scirocco, a corrado amongst others. The Audi is in a league of it's own in my opinion, it' not perfect granted, but a lot better than the VW.

In S-line form it handles pretty well if you know how to drive them. Down one of my favourite stretches of B roards the difference in speed between my A3 and my r32 (which was tuned and lowered on coilovers) isn't that great and would be a lot closer if the A3 had better breaks (soon to be rectified!)

J.

wasn't being nasty, just stating the fact that DSG is an auto gearbox, if you expect/want manual performance, including the painful left leg in traffic, then buy a manual!

Have to say, over the bimmer 320 i've just given up, if ever there was an over rated car its bmw's, I did 8000 miles in 4 months and really cannot see what the fuss is about

Rather have a golf in fancy clothes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Why does everyone diss the a3 as being an expensive golf? I really dislike the new golf and unless they change the interior and sort the styling I wont be buying one. This is coming from a hardened VW fan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've had 5 golfs, a scirocco, a corrado amongst others. The Audi is in a league of it's own in my opinion, it' not perfect granted, but a lot better than the VW.

In S-line form it handles pretty well if you know how to drive them. Down one of my favourite stretches of B roards the difference in speed between my A3 and my r32 (which was tuned and lowered on coilovers) isn't that great and would be a lot closer if the A3 had better breaks (soon to be rectified!)

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got to agree, I left Audi to go to VW thinking I would get the same quality at a lower price....wrong, the Golf rattled like a babies pram, my A3 dosen't rattle at all. And the mk5 golf is not that much cheaper than the A3 spec for spec. Add in higher depreciation on the golf and the Audi makes a fair claim for itself. It isn't perfect, but then what is ?.

Oh, and try 'adjusting' the tyre pressures, you'll be amazed at how much better the A3 handles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and try 'adjusting' the tyre pressures, you'll be amazed at how much better the A3 handles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

To what?

Yeah my dad has a company 4motion golf and is almost 2 yrs old and over bumps the front is creaking like hell. I guess its one of the bushes, he handed it into VW the car came back the same!! I think company car drivers get a different level of service to private car owners!!

But anyway i take great delight in telling him that my A4 which is 5yrs old this year has no creaks!! Its so funny winding him up. I think he will get a new R32 or R36 whatever it will be next so i will let him off with getting a VW next time.

Cheers.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well on mine they're now set at 31/32psi front and 34/35 rear. Handling is far more nuetral with lot less understeer and Lift off oversteer is easily provoked on slow / medium speed corners / roundabouts. High speed sweepers, the car is planted and tyre noise has dropped slightly.

You'll have to experiment with your 18's, but work on a 3psi diff front to rear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
but I know its just a tarted up Golf with front wheel drive, awful handling and poor refinement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello? What colour is the sky on your planet?

I sat in a Golf GTTDI for the last 160k miles so i'm quite well qualified to comment. The Golf was an ultra reliable mode of transport and that's about as polite as I can be. It handled like a jelly on springs and rattled more than a 60yr old whore.

My S-Line is only 2wd but it still amzes me with the level of traction. Sure there's cabin noise, but that's the price you pay for stiff suspension and 225 tyres.

I can't think of any other 3dr hatch that is any more refined or handles better? Can you?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep saying it until I'm blue in the face.

I didn't have a choice

I wanted a diesel sportback and I wanted the S-line.

You don't get a manual diesel sportback S-line.

I was forced into DSG,I didn't actively order it.

I thought I could live with it though,but I can't.

I can see why some love it,but I hate it.

Simple as that really.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't think of any other 3dr hatch that is any more refined or handles better? Can you?

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair though,I can't think of any that cost so much either.

Just saying,the traits you speak of come at a price,that's all.

It's an expensive wee car and no mistake.

[ QUOTE ]
or handles better? Can you?

[/ QUOTE ]

i agreed with you up to that point...

A clio 182
Golf GTI Mk V
Cooper S
Civic R
and even dare i say BMW 1
could all put our A3's to shame in terms of handling

the a3 is amazing in many respects, but handling IMO is not one of them.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Handling and ride comfort also need to be taken into consideration tho' LeMan, personally I wouldn;t want to drive to many miles to work and back in a clio, Mini Cooper S or a civic Type R. The rest I can't comment on.

I had a cooper S for 6 months and did 16K miles in it and hated most of them. I've borrowed guys at work company cars of the 182 and the Civic Type R and wilst they are brilliant fun for a lunchtime blast to the pub again I wouldn;t want to spend a great deal of time communiting in ether of them.

Personally I think the S-line A3 is comfy enough on my commute and chuckable enough on the twisities to be a decent compromise, ok it's not perfect but pretty good in my eyes.

Eeef, I personally like the Golfs but all of mine have been modified, bigger wheels, breaks, exhaust, engines tuned and most importantly the suspension was changed on every single on fo them so they would handle. More worrying to me though is how you know how much a 60 year old whore rattles...

[ QUOTE ]
Handling and ride comfort also need to be taken into consideration tho' LeMan, personally I wouldn;t want to drive to many miles to work and back in a clio, Mini Cooper S or a civic Type R

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Which is why the A3 is the perfect compromise. But to be fair, my comments were just about the handling (track or road), nothing else. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
or handles better? Can you?

[/ QUOTE ]

i agreed with you up to that point...

A clio 182
Golf GTI Mk V
Cooper S
Civic R
and even dare i say BMW 1
could all put our A3's to shame in terms of handling

the a3 is amazing in many respects, but handling IMO is not one of them.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Clio...? It's french. Wouldn't lower myself to sit in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif
I would have put the Golf down as comparable, but not better.
Haven't driven the mini
Civic R would be fater if the roads were glass smooth. Unfortunately, it suffers the same problem as the RS Focus. Too damn stiff. On the majority of our lovely lumpy roads the Audi would hold tight for longer.
BMW.....not the one i drove. Just coz you can hang the **** out doesn't make it a better handling car...although it can be quite fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Speaking of races,I just returned from town and managed to hold my own against a BMW330D /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif who was trying to sneak down the inside of traffic using a 24 hour bus lane.

It was me he came up against when he reached the lights though and there was no way on earth I was letting him in....I'd rather bash the ****** car then let his sort in.
My car is a company car,so bring it on ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif,it's you that's in the wrong.

Identical acceleration up to about 50mph,at which point he backed off and the ****** idiot behind me let him in (why do people do that..).

I noted it was a 330D when he turned left at the next set of lights (after getting the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif sign from me of course).

[ QUOTE ]

Hello? What colour is the sky on your planet?

I sat in a Golf GTTDI for the last 160k miles so i'm quite well qualified to comment. The Golf was an ultra reliable mode of transport and that's about as polite as I can be. It handled like a jelly on springs and rattled more than a 60yr old whore.

My S-Line is only 2wd but it still amzes me with the level of traction. Sure there's cabin noise, but that's the price you pay for stiff suspension and 225 tyres.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point Eef and well made. I too had a Golf Mk4 for a year so I know where you're coming from.

I just can't help thinking that Audi spent all their budget on styling and ****** all on engineering. Maybe I need to take a chill pill and focus on the good points (of which there are plenty) rather than the bad points. Bear in mind that I am talking about a 2.0TDi SE with the most incredibly wallowy handling imaginable, not an S-line with tighter springs, lowered ride height and fatter wheels.

On a positive note the track season has begun so maybe I just need a few laps of Cadwell to cheer me up.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep saying it until I'm blue in the face.

I didn't have a choice

I wanted a diesel sportback and I wanted the S-line.

You don't get a manual diesel sportback S-line.

I was forced into DSG,I didn't actively order it.

I thought I could live with it though,but I can't.

I can see why some love it,but I hate it.

Simple as that really.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bowfer, have read your comments on this so don't worry about turning yourself blue, i was aware, merely stating that fortunately i didn't HAVE to order my car at all, I could choose another model or manufacturer

but surely, if you didn't order DSG and one arrived (Don't mention the fact that Sline wasn't available without DSG at the time of ordering, i've read that too) you can return it?