Variable Headlight range control / auto high beam - slow and rubbish...

Itguy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Has anyone with variable headlight range control fitted on their A3/S3 found it to be really slow at moving the light pattern from dipped to high beam and high beam to dipped?

It's not slow to react (as in see that it needs to dip / put back up) but it's slow in the transition between dip to full, or full to dip.

If I have the lights dipped manually and then i pull the stalk towards me to flash full beam it happens really quickly, so the motors are obviously able to move the beam pattern quickly enough, but the programming of the range control / auto high beam transition is just useless.

Anyone else found this?

How do those of you without range control but with auto high beam find it?? Quick to transit?

I wondered if this is something that VCDS could adjust maybe if we know what module it is set it?

I have high beam assist, but not variable range control. The auto dipping works a dream, just like doing it yourself but quicker!
I guess the variable range equipment has a completely different method of dipping, as from dip to beam it is infinitely variable. Without that functionality it's either dipped or full beam?

Yeah, the headlight assembly is different as on the standard (non adaptive or range control) it is a shade that moves to direct the light whereas in the adaptive and range control unit there is a motor that can move the lens assembly through an up/down and left/right motion.

It just needs speeding up during it's transition phase. I wonder if there is a software update at audi for it because it really is a pain at the moment. If not i'd rather have it switched off so i just had high beam assist rather than range control at all!