Vagcom???

Foxmeister

Fired Up!
Reaction score
Still new to Audi's in general, but keep seeing a lot of reference to Vagcom, wot i want to know is wot type of unit is best to look at, and do you need a laptop to use it??? Only have desktop, not keen on laptops. Also, where supplies Vagcom units? Cheers.

a lot of folk on here seem to obsess over the genuine cables.

Personally, for the amount of use i make of it, the cheapo ebay leads do everything you need it to do.

You can buy a licence from rosstech to unlock all the features too, and the licence plus lead from ebay is a LOT cheaper than buying a genuine kit. (Licence is $100, which is probably less than £70 at the current exchange rate, ebay leads are about a tenner, compared with £250+ for a real lead)

Or you can buy a handheld scanner for around £30 and keep it in the car. Not so good for logging, but good for codes, especailly if you don't have a lappy. Lee Goodall has one it's quite good,not sure where he got it, but i am sure it's not mega expensive

Also would advise using XP OS, seems to be an issue with Vista, havent tried it with my Windows 7

Works fine on 7, which means it will work fine on Vista.

You just need to choose "Run as Administrator" or it crashes.

I had the cheap Ebay disc and lead before I bought my Rosstech one,......it crashed and froze and gave me no end of grief.

That said, I'm great with computers in the same way that Sarah Beeny would make a great hurdler.

a lot of folk on here seem to obsess over the genuine cables.

Personally, for the amount of use i make of it, the cheapo ebay leads do everything you need it to do.

You can buy a licence from rosstech to unlock all the features too, and the licence plus lead from ebay is a LOT cheaper than buying a genuine kit. (Licence is $100, which is probably less than £70 at the current exchange rate, ebay leads are about a tenner, compared with £250+ for a real lead)

The cheapo leads from eBay are generally fine so long as you don't need a CAN capable one (CAN is only available on genuine cables) and if you don't mind not having support from Ross-Tech for the cable and connection problems. I don't think I'd call it obsessive.

Well thats it, a B5 doesnt do CAN and the older version of the software that works with the ebay leads will do everything you can do on a B5.

The cables themselves are pretty foolproof tbh, and you've also got the benefit that if in the future you need to upgrade, they'll give you the $99 off a real lead from them, so your not losing out.

As a starter kit, and to do what most people on here want to do with them, i recon that £10 ebay lead and if you need it the $99 licence is the best option. If you need more later all you've lost is the tenner on the ebay lead.

I find though that many folk seem to jump in and say "buy genuine" when all the guy wants/needs is something to pull the fault codes, and if its the choice between buying a ebay vagcom lead for a tenner or a hand held fault code reader, its imo better to buy the vagcom lead as it gets the person familiar with the software and more likely to upgrade to either a licenced version with the ebay lead, or a genuine cable.

Sure, but presumably these counterfeit leads are also attemping to bypass the activation/licence type stuff, which is obvisouly a bit different to just running the software in shareware mode with a generic lead?

Presumably the cheap ebay vagcom interfaces just use a standard Serial to K-Line interface, rather than a clone of an actual vagcom lead like the CAN cars probably are?

Yes but trial software stops at v4.12 or thereabouts we are up to quite a lot higher revisions now. The CAN software needs to see an authorised lead.

4.09 is the highest that will run on a "dumb" lead, shareware or licensed. I'm pretty sure for a B5 you wont need any of the newer features though, while some of them like turbo mode for logging might be handy, its not essential.

that's right I was thinking of 3.12 and then 4.09

Even with a cheap lead and trial/licence software you are going to save yourself a few quid.

I bought genuine because it was convenient, reliable, supported, comprehensive, idiot-proof (ie me) and will do all my friends' newer VAGs etc.

I may not always have a B5, and can't be bummed to upgrade in US dollars or whatever.

I could have bought a CHEAP blow up doll with a full comprehensive set of three working orafices for 30 quid, but instead I invested in a reassuringly expensive latex Real Doll that doesn't have any sharp plastic seams to slice my helmet on for considerably MORE money. Actually that's a complete lie. Though I have CONSIDERED one. Hmmmmmm, I'll check some websites.

I could have bought a CHEAP blow up doll with a full comprehensive set of three working orafices for 30 quid, but instead I invested in a reassuringly expensive latex Real Doll that doesn't have any sharp plastic seams to slice my helmet on for considerably MORE money. Actually that's a complete lie. Though I have CONSIDERED one. Hmmmmmm, I'll check some websites.

Interesting, post up some of your findings on this if you can!!! lol:whistle2::haha: