VAGcom

chris1988brown

Reaction score
hi guys im thinkin of getting VAGcom and wondering how in depth you can actualy go with it, also what are the main advantages of having it and what are the key features ?

also what is etka ? ( think thats the right name) i understand its used for finding parts and gives you part numbers but is that part of vagcom or a seperate thing all together?

any help would be great

cheers chris

hi guys im thinkin of getting VAGcom and wondering how in depth you can actualy go with it, also what are the main advantages of having it and what are the key features ?

also what is etka ? ( think thats the right name) i understand its used for finding parts and gives you part numbers but is that part of vagcom or a seperate thing all together?

any help would be great

cheers chris

Nigel user NHN is your man. Just drop him a pm.

That depends how deep you want to go, it has various features, fault diagnostic, allows recoding of various modules for many features, helps to install new modules, that in this day & age require coding to enable said features, has imho very good logging tools to see what your modules, engine & gearbox etc are doing, along with measuring block data, does pretty much everything the dealer tool does & more tbh, whereas a dealer tool is £10k, vcds costs 2.5% of this at £250.

For many people its been invaluable as its saved visits to dealers at £100per hour, for small things like sensors etc, some have paid for themselves on the 1st use, its also allowed others to take logs of there cars & use as proof for faults & to make sure when they go in & come back out they dont have other issues, so its a useful tool to safeguard your pocket aswell :)

Mine personally is part of the family lol.

If you'd like 1 give me a shout.

ETKA is the parts catalogue which isnt part of vagcom & Elsa is the workshop bible also seperate.

Just beat you too it nigel, lol.

VAGcom or VCDS as it's known now allows you to scan the car for fault codes, reset them, and make a multitude of adjustments to the car. From altering service interval, coding new bits of equipment to adjusting function of the car. A genuine Rosstech cable is approx. £250, but everyone I know who has one says how worthwhile it is. Have a look at the Rosstech site for ideas.

ETKA is a digital version of the old microfiche's - knock off copies are about a fiver on ebay and worthwhile as they give part numbers and also a breakdown of parts.

Also of worth is Elsawin, again about a fiver and a digital workshop manual.

All three are worth having, but for a fiver each ETKA and Elsawin are essential.

awesome cheers for the replies guys, how about things like egr deletes can you turn warning light off perminantly or is this only done via remaps

i have recently got this Professional Fault Code Reader for Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, Skoda (1996-2009) and have proved very usefull already and it diagnosed a fault on my exhaust gas temp sensor correctly, new sensor fit and erased code, job sorted

You can do egr delete on diesels, if your talking about removing the second lambda, that needs to be mapped out.

You can do egr delete on diesels, if your talking about removing the second lambda, that needs to be mapped out.

thats what i mean mate, if i remove my egr on my 2.0 tdi which puts the management light on if i had vag-com would i be able to perminantly remove the light?

Why would you remove it? You can just delete it so it doesn't work? Atleast thats how I gather it works?

The light is mapped out, but some tuners will only do with one of there remaps, so a £100 could turn into £500, some are more approachable :)

The light is mapped out, but some tuners will only do with one of there remaps, so a £100 could turn into £500, some are more approachable :)

ah ok cool, my tuner should be able to sort it then when i got to get my map tweaked

i think i'll invest in vagcom after xmas as i can see myself using it quite alot, plus alot of friends and family have vag's so will come in hand, how much do you sell it for mate?