vagcom

skinz

Reaction score
dont want 2 b checky but has any1 got a vagcom near leicester, im having a couple of prob's with the car that i want to get checked out, i want to get 1 but with me getting married in a couple of month i cant afford it at the min and i dont want to get a fleebay hong kong special
ive got a 96 1.8t

They can sometimes be a bit tricky to get working and can require a bit of computer know-how to setup, but then what do you expect for a tenner!

For what most people need them for, the ebay cables do the job just fine.

It's going to work, but may take a little setting up on your laptop but for £10 it's worth the effort.

Vcds is vagcom, but there are two versions lite & full, full will only work with genuine cables.

Bummer as I think I have downloaded the full version but the cables are about £250. How do I no if I have full or lite ?

I bought an ebay special 2 weeks aho, and couldnt get it working :(... Installed the drivers that came on cd, and program, and it woudlnt reconise the lead.... Got the error "No interface found" checked they were on the same com ports, tried 1,2,3,4, Tried different drivers found online, still no use.. Did this on win 7 laptop and an xp laptop.. But for a tenner i didnt loose any sleep over it lol.. I also know a good bit about computers.

I got both Vista and windows 7 working with ebay speical £10 lead no problem. You on skype? WOuld be easier to talk you through potential problems.

i've setup 3 different ebay leads without issue.

Its typically just a case of ensuring the lead is on a sensible com port number, selecting the matching com port in vagcom, hooking it upto the car and off you go

A common mistake people make is doing the interface test with the lead NOT connected to the car. the interface has two parts, one is a usb to serial converter powered by the laptops usb port, the other is a serial interface powered by the car.

Bought one of the ebay ones this week, plugged the lead into the laptop and it installed drivers great.
Next plugged into car then laptop, came up with the not found message.
Opened the Device manager of laptop and clicked on the lead and it was connected to port 14, opened and changed to 1 then re-ran the test and it found it and click save.
Thats the best way i can dumb it down sorry.......

Yep that more or less describes the methodology.

You'll find you need to use the same USB port every time, as if you plug it in elsewhere it will move to another port.

Last edited:
I've got a blue one which I don't need because I bought genuine one.
If you want I can send you at a cost of postage or you can pick it up for free in Rotherham.