VAGCOM on new RS4 - BY, 2007 - how do I use it?

mikearmstrong

Reaction score
I have seen that I can buy an interface lead for about £12 but then there is the software sitiuation: which software do I need for the new RS4 and do I need to pay for it?

I would have thought that a 2007 RS4 will require a CANBUS interface which I doubt a £12 cable is.

Paul

the cheap leads use opto isolators and only support the old vag com software which will not code some modules. If all this doesnt make any sense to you then I suggest you save your 12 pounds and wait an see what you want to do.
To get a real vag com cable, you will need to spend about 200 pounds then all of the programing software works.

early cars use what is called K&L lines - low speed single device talks at once.
canbus is multiplexed and high speed.

they use different pins in the socket, different signal protocols and different encoding.

I dont think can is supported on the free version of the software.

Look on ross techs site for details or ask the dealer (or google)

but if you can afford a new rs4 why quibble about spending a couple of hundred on what is a very good and very reasonably priced product.

and no the ebay leads are not going to be can

ALL B7's need a lead that supports K-line, L-line AND CAN bus since some controllers (e.g. on an RS4 the 2 engine ECU's at addresses 01 and 11) only have a CAN connection.

Spend the $$$ and get a genuine lead such as a HEX-USB+CAN or a HEX-COM+CAN (which is what I use on my B7 RS4).

Or find someone who has it already that lives in your area.