Vagcom log ignition timing

Andy123

Reaction score
I was logging group 003 today among 020 and 031. Group 003 is showing the timing ATDC instead of BTDC and the timing seems to be pretty retarded to say the least. I haven't logged much with vagcom but isn't it usually logged as BTDC? I will upload the log later when I have a minute but I am just going through it at the moment and looking at the readings. Cheers Andy

Last edited:
Block 003 should show ignition angle (actual)... maybe the label files wrong... you have a funky tune in your ECU IIRC?

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Label Files

Maybe its just labelled it wrongly... either way its timing angle so can be taken as read its BTDC...

<tuffty/>

I have a Unitronics 630cc tune. I know it is showing the ignition angle but most I have seen are registered as BTDC so I am wondering why this has recorded it ATDC. I am trying to figure out why the car seems sluggish prior to boost, round the 1-3.5k mark and I was expecting slightly more aggressive timing to compensate for the big turbo. I've attached the logs below. They are taken on and off whilst driving at lower revs. If I take the figures to be BTDC and the negative figures to be ATDC, it still looks ropey with very little advanced timing. That's why I wanted to check whether the figures are actually BTDC even though it is labelled as ATDC. Here is the log.

log1-1.jpg

log2.jpg

log3.jpg

Last edited:
Ok... these logs aren't the best tbh... there is no real 'run' as such... your timing is gonna be looking all over the place tbh..

To get some meaningful logs to see whats happening you need to treat the run as a run on the dyno... this will give you an idea of whats going on under load to see if the engine is performing as it should...

Warm up the engine to 90deg... find a quiet long straight piece of 'private' road to do a run or two... start in third gear from 2000rpm and with your foot planted to the floor accelerate to or as close to the redline as you can legally/safely do so... do a couple of runs like this if you can and post up the result... freeze the rows with the block headings by clicking on a cell below them (A8 in your first example) and using the 'freeze panes' functionality in excel then scroll to where you started each run screenshotting as you go...

This will give a better idea of whats going on...

Testing for anything else and you will need a dyno tbh...

<tuffty/>

Yeah I know what you are saying about not being the best of logs but Unitronics asked me to have a look at the timing between 1-3k and if I do a power run in 3rd at 2k then I'm not really going to have much data prior to hitting boost. I'll do another log tomorrow in 3rd gear and then have a look at the figures then. I think I will be getting it on a dyno soon but in the meantime I will wait and see what Unitronics says and then go from there. Cheers for the input mate.