Vagcom code pull, any experts out there!?

pilla

Reaction score
Managed to get the old vagcom firing on the laptop, I have pulled these codes with the ignition on and map sensor and throttle body unplugged, the EPC light was initially on before i stripped it down to replace rocker gaskets and clean some components.

Any experts out there, or am i best doing a clear and a fresh scan when its all back together, only road test i can give it is 1st and 2nd gear pull up the road as its sorned and has no mot right now. Any help or advice appreciated. Thanks guys.

9d4a09c5b9429be79cb298dfd2706d3f.png

Your best bet would be to clear and check the codes again. Some of those could be old and fixed so you might waste time checking for a phantom fault.

Reactions: pilla
bottom three you can write off to having the throttle body and MAP sensor unplugged.

Powersupply one appears whenever the battery has been off.

The "Accellerator Position sensor" code is talking about the sensor inside the car connected to the accellerator pedal.

The other two are EGT sensor codes and are live, so your EGT's are probably dead.

What was wrong with the car?

The EGT codes would have it in limp mode, and the Accell posisiton sensor might make it unresponsive to the throttle pedal...

Thanks guys, great help. The car had been laid up for months, I have replaced the rocker gaskets, removed all intercooler piping, alternator, aircon condenser, cleaned, inspected, belts seem ok on it, the dump valve vacuum hose was snapped, replaced that, EPC light was on and it was in limp mode, I havent actually driven it yet, Been cleaning all the brakes and hubs etc. I fired it up earlier and it ran nice, I havent actually cleared the codes yet, I will do that tomorrow and see what it throws up after a boot up the road. I only paid a grand for it :)

The throttle pedal works fine Aragorn, maybe it is an old code that will clear once wiped. As for the EGT codes. Your right, i think that might be the main problem. I will update tomorrow. Thanks guys.

I'll get up early tomorrow and get into it. Dying to see what codes it throws up now. Any idea what price im looking at in parts? Can fit them all myself. Thanks mate.

Edit: Be cheaper to resolder the boards first i suppose, after a bit of reading, see if i can get one working, then piggy back off that. :)

Last edited:
Dont bodge it up, just buy the boards from S4Sid and replace them.

Yes your right, I want it fixed proper because i really like this car, (I drove it today)!

Anyway, cleared the codes Aragorn, after a boot round the block, (fast and no EPC light) it came back with the codes pictured below, however it did have a high idle from the off 1800-2krpm and after the run i gave it, the idle was rising and dropping off 2k-1k-2k-1k continuously, After a cool down, I cleared the codes again, ran it and it ran same as the beginning, high idle but no dropping off, did a rescan and same codes came up. Its fast with a nice crunch between 1st & 2nd, brakes are kak aswell haha! :)

773ef9794e71cb59892ba95f3eef8543.png

Last edited:
Wont be fast with broken EGT sensors, almost certainly in limp mode.

The high idle is probably just throttle adaption. It'll probably sort itself out if you put the ignition on and just wait for 30 seconds or so.

This is it Aragorn, see if you can hear the idle, I did the throttle adaption and heard it click 30 seconds in, made no change.

Fix the EGT's and give it a proper drive and see what happens. Will probably sort itself out once the ECU has dialed itself in. If it doesnt, its probably an air leak/split hose etc.

Did a TB alignment with vagcom. Thats sorted the erratic idle out. Idles smooth at 880 or so rpm now. Starting to shape up. If this is 5psi of boost then im in for a treat when i get these EGT's sorted out.

Thanks.

Dont bodge it up, just buy the boards from S4Sid and replace them.
I opened up the boards, they are standard items, and bits of one chip fell out when i was cleaning the slime out. I went on sid motorsport but its saying they are out of stock or arent being supplied anymore.

i think folk often just message him for them. Never needed them myself, have a seach on AudiSRS for his contact details.

Can anybody spot the missing chip on the board? Also one of the terminals looks a little, well, brown. :)

20160315_184137_zpsnjc321m6.jpg

20160315_184457_zpslkfdbjpb.jpg

Yes. One of the little chips fell off when i was doing the toothbrush method. Must of been brittle at the joints. I let the car idle upto temp (10 mins or so) with the EGT's disconnected. My god! It must of burnt a gallon of petrol. No word of a lie.

I have to move it from where i park it to enable me to work on it. Turn it round etc. Get it up and down the ramps.

So, after 2 weeks of waiting, i ring royal mail up to find out why my egt boards arent being delivered, they say that my item will not be delivered to me and is being held at HWDC in Langley because either A: Its a prohibited item or B: The address is incorrect on the packaging. And that the sender must get in touch to fix this issue. So much for patiently waiting. Ive emailed Sid back and lets hope he can be of some help. Getting a bit cheesed off now.

+1 on sid's egt boards. Arrived today and have fixed the issue. Codes cleared and havent returned. Cheers for the help. No codes now :)