VAG recall half a million cars

They're going to pay dearly for this, and if it's found to be the same in Europe where Derv sales are 50% of all new car sales, the fine & customer compensation for higher road tax could be crippling! That said, I'm sure most other car makers are doing the same thing.

I don't own a diesel but be interesting if this crosses over to Audi, I do find it quite ironic though how the media go over the top how many people has it killed with, well I doubt any compared to the huge cars they drive around in general.
I am more interested though how it will effect Sales in the VAG Group? and with less demand are the good old discounts coming to come back?

Shares 18% down and it is looking like the chief exec is going to the hit for this,18 billion dollar fines for them in the US.

Tip of the iceberg: It's growing! now it's 11 million cars and shares down 20%. :busted cop:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34325005

Edit: When I grew up (60's-70's), Diesels were only usually fitted to trucks and were seen as dirty and noisey... Until Thatcher's Government decided that popularising diesel engines would be a novel way to increase tax income on a fuel that was under-utilised, cheap and readily available.

But no matter how much soot you collect in a can, that can will need emptying before it becomes full or it would clog up, and by programming a car to "burn off" the carbon on 20 minute runs ...(note: soot doesn't burn - if it did, chimneys wouldn't need sweeping)... you encourage owners to drive out of built-up areas with traffic lights\junctions and onto open roads, thereby transposing the soot to the countryside. This method was never a "cure" for the problem, and the only solution it is to collect it, then bin it.

That's why I think other manufacturers can also be accused of massaging carbon output data, they have to be doing the same thing as VAG.

Diesels remain as dirty as they were back when I was young - there's just a whole lot more of them around now.

Spawn of the devil, they are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hear-Vier, xpoweruk and voorhees
Indeed.
The phrase "Dirty Diesel" is still true

Reactions: Hear-Vier and Artimus
If it comes to that , remap afterwards and still keep the low ved .

Reactions: xpoweruk
Wonder what the performance will be like after they have recalled, remaped etc?

and the way things are panning out probably not the best time to buy a new car either, or it has to be a fantastic deal to warrant the changes you might have to pay later.

Good thing is for VAG cars most can be remapped by 3rd parties

Last edited:
Reactions: Artimus
And the names of the two American transport campaigners who exposed the scandal.

Peter Mock and John German
icon_shysterical.gif
icon_shysterical.gif

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...aigners-expose-world-biggest-car-company.html

Reactions: Hear-Vier and xpoweruk
Check this out, even the advertisers are getting in on the mockery...
Wp ss 20150923 0001

Er, a new GTD? thanks but no thanks!

12039331 10153250562323823 7403663988572912840 n

Reactions: Nilz, Artimus, CHEZ and 2 others
There is chatter in the press now that petrol engines have been misrepresented: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...port/11883357/vw-scandal-petrol-car-risk.html
Not entirely surprised if this is true, 180 g/km of CO2 for my S4 did strike me as pretty low. Question is if these are recalled too will we be given the choice of having it modified or keeping the performance but paying higher VED?
Always felt the CO2 emissions were low\cheap for the power output on mine too ...and the soot build up on the exhaust tips tells another story entirely.

But I suppose it depends on the fix! If it's a software remap... that's not a problem, as I chose the Bluefin, which can be removed and reinstalled by the user at will! but if it's an exhaust filter or some such hardware install - I'll need compensation.

The boss has just gone.I wonder if he has plans to retire to the USA or maybe they might make him

Seems What Car have included Audi 2.0 Engine in the mix, and has not ruled out Europe.
Heh Ho, was going to get a new Audi, but will wait till next quarter, see if they are a lot more desperate than now to sell new cars, they still selling way too many at present :(

Quite amusing:- when I was in the Tunbridge Wells Audi Dealer, and the sales person categorically denied that Audi cars did not run this software and would not be effected, I smiled at him, and said "I can guarantee that they are, and a load will be recalled" to be fair to him, he was only passing on the Statement issued that day from Audi HQ, Seriously though why do we accept these large corporate lying, cheating, Ripping us off get away with it?

mines gonna be recalled, i heard that tax will not be increased and they will not be paying compensation

My wifes Seat Leon is going to be recalled too, checked on the Seat site yesterday and it says it is, got a phone call today from them, but they couldnt discuss it as its in my Wifes name, so once that it all sorted I will see what they say tomorrow.

The misses had her letter today from Audi to say when a fix is created her's will be recalled, wonder what difference to performance / economy it will make. Can't see many people being happy with a drop in either.

We had a letter from Seat today too...same as above.

Recieved letter today about my 2009 A4 Avant being recalled. Only got the thing 3 months ago.
Really hope whatever they do doesn't have a noticeable affect on performance / economy as they were the key reasons we got the car!!

The only way they can fix it is to reduce the mixture volume which is obviously going to affect performance to a degree , how much is the big question as a lot of leaching solicitors are already offering vag owners deals to take on their case and sue vag if performance or economy is affected.
So its not the cost of of the fix its the cost of scumbag leaching lawyers that will cripple and possibly bankrupt vag!!!!!!
Its amazing how many vag owners are already queueing up to sue if their car looses even 1 HP, well I hope they realise the consequences of their greed, thing is if their cars had been 10 HP or more less they would still have bought it, this is no longer about putting the cars right its about how much greedy ppl can get back from vag.!

And exactly how will an mot test determine NoX content as that's what they failed on???