VAG DPF Android app

jakm15

Reaction score
I’m getting an android phone later today and hoping to use the VAG DPF app to check the health of my DPF and moniter a regeneration if it needs one, the fans been running after driving short distances recently so I suspect it does.

Quite a bit of info on how it works here

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/423341-vag-dpf-app/

Has anyone had a play with this app?

Reactions: rich dj and IRONy_MAN
Yeah its actually quite good if you have an engine that the app supports.

I thought I'd give it a try for the 3.0 TDI but its not supported, and having emailed them there are no plans to add it.

Just had a try the other day with my CAGA engine, came up around 500 miles since the last successful regen, 15g of soot and 0.1 of ash and the dpf was 66% full.

Went on the motorway at a pretty decent speed for about 10 mins and the exhaust temp was around 350 then the ecu must have gone into regeneration mode and it shot up to around 780c and the soot then dropped quite quickly to 4.5g and 25% full.

The cars on 82K on a 10 plate so the dpf looks pretty healthy looking at that.

Thanks for pointing this out - have just installed it :highly amused:

Excellent find appreciated

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

No problem, I’ve been using my carista Bluetooth OBD connector so if anyone has one I can confirm it works with this app.

Just used in my 2012 a4 soot is 6.25 great free app.

Thats what mine says on free app. Have bought full app but yet to try it. It has alot more features.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180501-215250.png
    Screenshot_20180501-215250.png
    661.3 KB · Views: 667
Full paid app shows dpf ok at 79k

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180502-145509.png
    Screenshot_20180502-145509.png
    478.9 KB · Views: 1,121
Going to take mine for a 1hr run tomorrow, showing 16g of soot and 532km since last clean. Hopefully that will burn it clear.

Well 1hr blast and it's now like this? Does that mean it's 80% full?
4c231cb442be3463bbc3d002c7d2487b.jpg
fc9a8446bd08a79b461b1d120be2276c.jpg

Well 1hr blast and it's now like this? Does that mean it's 80% full?
4c231cb442be3463bbc3d002c7d2487b.jpg
fc9a8446bd08a79b461b1d120be2276c.jpg

It’s not regenerated on that drive you went on, you know when it’s doing it becuase the exhaust temp goes up to about 600c and the soot starts dropping quick, then the time and distance will reset when it’s done.

It is due a regen looking at that but it just depends when the ecu decides it needs one.

I’ve read that you need a decent amount of diesel in the tank or it won’t regen, not sure how much truth is in this.

It looks like you need to turn auto refresh on as well, go in settings and look for something like auto refresh or similar and turn that on then the values will refresh as your driving, i wedged my phone in front of the steering wheel.

Mine started a regen when it was around 16g and I accelerated hard to a pretty decent pace 100mph plus (on a private road) for about 15 mile.

Reactions: feva
It’s not regenerated on that drive you went on, you know when it’s doing it becuase the exhaust temp goes up to about 600c and the soot starts dropping quick, then the time and distance will reset when it’s done.

It is due a regen looking at that but it just depends when the ecu decides it needs one.

I’ve read that you need a decent amount of diesel in the tank or it won’t regen, not sure how much truth is in this.

It looks like you need to turn auto refresh on as well, go in settings and look for something like auto refresh or similar and turn that on then the values will refresh as your driving, i wedged my phone in front of the steering wheel.

Mine started a regen when it was around 16g and I accelerated hard to a pretty decent pace 100mph plus (on a private road) for about 15 mile.
Cheers jakm15 appreciate the feedback. I'll change it to auto refresh. Had a fuel tank of fuel. Shall we say it was a spirited drive

Just going to keep an eye on it.

I went along to pick my daughter up was around 72% when i got back heard fans going so checked was down to 29% was 2 miles there 2miles back but i was sitting in car park waiting with engine running waiting for my daugther for 10mins before returning home.

It still says on app it has not done a regen in 190miles :wtf:

They dont regen on a spirited drive I dont think. Just a steady drive at 50-60mph in 4-5th gear should do it.

Am just going to let it get on with it seems to work well. . .

I went along to pick my daughter up was around 72% when i got back heard fans going so checked was down to 29% was 2 miles there 2miles back but i was sitting in car park waiting with engine running waiting for my daugther for 10mins before returning home.

It still says on app it has not done a regen in 190miles :wtf:

I think the regen miles resets after it’s done a full successful regeneration not a partial. Mine did the same the other day when the Mrs came home from work, it’s only about a 3 mile 30mph drive and it nearly did a full regen then.

I think your right, it seems to look after itself even when you do short drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Marky007
They dont regen on a spirited drive I dont think. Just a steady drive at 50-60mph in 4-5th gear should do it.
I've got a drive to Bradford (1hr 20mins) tomorrow so I'll get to a steady speed and check once there. Cheers Chris.

Ive been monitoring this app quite a bit, from my findings the amount of.fuel you have doesnt make a difference, also really high speeds dont help. Ive tried belting it to get it to trigger at only 50% full with no joy. I think it does it when its ready, for me its been anytime after say 70%.

Last time I checked it was at 82%, I tried putting my foot down to get the temp up but it didnt trigger. I then stuck to 55 cruise control on and it suddenly decided it was time, temp.shot right up and the process started, another mile or two and all done

Reactions: Marky007
I've got a drive to Bradford (1hr 20mins) tomorrow so I'll get to a steady speed and check once there. Cheers Chris.

You can get live feed from it every few secs just press the two round cirles looks like a voicemail button :thumbs up: see what its doing on drive there . . . :racer:
I place my phone over mmi screen set app to landscape :whistle2:

Ive been monitoring this app quite a bit, from my findings the amount of.fuel you have doesnt make a difference, also really high speeds dont help. Ive tried belting it to get it to trigger at only 50% full with no joy. I think it does it when its ready, for me its been anytime after say 70%.

Last time I checked it was at 82%, I tried putting my foot down to get the temp up but it didnt trigger. I then stuck to 55 cruise control on and it suddenly decided it was time, temp.shot right up and the process started, another mile or two and all done
Maybe to high speed wont let it get upto temp . . .

Hi,

I don't have this app, but I've noticed with VCDS that the threshold for an active regeneration is noted as 'charge limit for field regeneration'. For me, this value is currently 22.77 Grams. The limit depends on the oil ash residue, as mine recently lowered slightly when the oil value changed to 0.11 Litres.

Regards,

Matt.

From what ive read you can try as hard as you like to raise the temps to regen levels but you won't get far. The ecu decides when its time and injects more fuel to raise egt's enough to burn it off which is why you can sit at say 50mph whilst it does its thing.

Under normal conditions no way would you hit 500 degrees + doing 50mph

I did a scan and it was on 62%. Took it on a run down the motorway and on the second reading it was 10%.

After it reached 100% it started a clean cycle.
b16d7e39c942eb1f564a12f238322fff.jpg

I wonder why it stops at 6grams, mine did the same

IMG 20180513 140123
Had mine do full regen today went to 100% then kicked in . .

When I got the app I checked my dads passat for him and it was at 110%! Quick trip down the motorway and it was all clear

Mine was at around 70%, as soon as I clicked the cruise control on it started regeneration. Not sure if this was a coincidence or not.

I'm not really familiar with the VAG DPF app, but it sounds pretty cool. It's always good to keep an eye on the health of your DPF and monitor a regeneration if it needs one.

I've got vcds but what obd connector would people recommend for this app? My car is a 2012 a4 2.0 tdi cglc

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I'm not really familiar with the VAG DPF app, but it sounds pretty cool. It's always good to keep an eye on the health of your DPF and monitor a regeneration if it needs one.
Better safe than sorry, right? Anyway, I wanted to share something with you that I recently came across. You can check it out here https://smartengines.com/. It's this super cool app called Automatic and eco-friendly document scanning, and I think it could come in handy for you if you're ever in need of scanning any documents. The app is available for both iOS and Android, and it's super easy to use.