VAG Commander to extract PIN - cluster swap

piehole1983

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm wanting to changed my cluster to one with DIS and need to get the PIN from both old and new.

I've got VAG Commander K+ CAN and in its description it's supposed to be able to do so on the 8P until 2007. Also mentions VDO clusters.

Mine is 2005 and has a VDO cluster. Before I go in a wreck something, has anyone got any tips on how to get the pin?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!

I've read both of those already in anticipation of doing this. The first one was taken to a 3rd party who carried out all the work and it doesn't contain any instructions on how the pin was obtained. I'm actually thinking it was taken to a dealer for that.

The second link gives instruction on how to to the coding assuming you already have the pin or skc.

I need guidance on using VAG Commander itself to get the PIN codes from both clusters. More googling required!

That second link is exactly what I'm trying to do. I can read the mileage as per one of those steps but when I hit the read security code button they grey out and nothing happens. Almost at a loss now

I wasn't able to read PIN from my cluster 2005 A3 by OBD port with any tool. Must be only possible by direct immo chip read out.

Oh poo, not good.

I've just been reading that some cars require a diagnostic session to be open before it will do certain functions. Just waiting for the laptop to charge before I try again.

So I didn't have much luck with this at all. I don't want to mess anything up so I'll leave it at that. Has anyone got any other options I could use? I'd be happy to post both clusters to someone who could read both PINs and send them back to me. Anybody on here do that kind of thing?

Quick update:

I've bought the genuine Carprog kit and successfully read the PIN from my cluster via the OBD port. This kit really is fantastic and appears to be able to do this with all models of the A3 as well as many other Audi models and many other makes.

Genuine VCDS Hex 2 will be with me tomorrow and then I can start my many mods, cluster first I think.

@piehole1983 Sorry to revive an old thread but don’t suppose you have a link for the genuine Carprog kit? So many fakes out there, it’s a mine field!!