Vag-COM question

Effect

Reaction score
just aquired myself a vag-com usb lead of ebay and downloaded the relevent software off ross-techs website.

so i navigate myself to the engine department and clear the two fault codes on there from ages ago.

Then i start having a play about and seeing what i can do.
a button named "readiness" catches my eye so i click on it and it has a list of loads of things to do with EGR and the O2 sensor, everything read ok except for the 3 relating to the O2 sensor.

Is this normal or does this mean that my O2 sensor needs replacing, neither of my 2 fault codes related to the O2 sensor btw.

Thanks
James

Which cable did you buy? having issues with mine from the bay?

Sorry to jack you

i'll second that....mine connects, does the test but comes up with nothing that is apparent and gives me no options to do anything what so ever..... sorry to jack:eek:)

I think the 02 sensors will only give readyness value of ok when the engine has been running. This is because they read their values based on exhaust gasses.

Not sure though, its worth a try.

the problem is that you have cleared the fault codes. By doing so, you also clear the readiness too.

The car now needs to be driven so it'll pass the checks again, and they should all pass again. It usually takes 200 miles(ish)

EDIT: Make sure the car has passed the readiness checks before you take it in for an MOT at a dealers too, sometimes they can be funny if the CAT check has failed..

well i have had a slight problem with the car spluttering and occasionally dying on cold starts on cold mornings and wondered if this could be related ?

James, as MADVW already said, when you clear fault codes, you reset the readiness monitors. So, you'll need to drive the car a while before they will all set.

If your O2 sensors are going, then your fuel trim may be the clue that you are having a problem with an O2 sensor. I suggest you take a look at the Ross-Tech Fuel Trim page to get a better idea how the O2 sensor could bother the fuel trim and lead to sputtering or even stalling of the engine.

Beyond that, to have further help, you should post the particulars of your car and if possible an auto-scan so we can see the modules in that car.

Now I have driven it a bit they have reset and everything shows as passed, except for the catalytic converter.

Should this cause me concern ?
No more fault codes have been logged since i cleared the ecu either.