VAG-com lead

djb83

redline responsibly
Reaction score
just bought a vag-com lead of fleabay and installed it into my laptop which uses windows vista when i do a scan of the engine if comes up half way through saying that i need to register to vag-com has anyone else had this problem with theres ? any replys most welcome so i can sort th problem with this cheers:thumbsup:

Do you have the full version with a registered lead?

If not then you have the freeware version (which i have myself) a lot of features dont work on it but you can still scan and clear faults. I'm pretty sure if its the freeware version you can buy a licence from rosstech which will open up the full version.

it works ok but i think it might be the freeware version so it looks like i'll need to invest money in rossteh lol:lmfao:

what version is it you bought?

shareware, so it wont let you access certain areas, can scan & clear faults but thats it, options are pay for license to unlock or buy the genuine system, if want genuine system PM me.

Release 409 posted 03 October 2004
  • This version is supported only for customers who are using obsolete "dumb" or third-party interfaces.

by the sounds of it m8 youve got the freeware version like me nhn who posted on this does the full version with sofrware im just puttting monies away for one :3sadwalk:

got a simular problem with one just getr cannot connect to controller all the time

That would be the cable then, its obviously a cheapo & most likely its been tried to update & fecked it, make a wise investment mate.

THe genuine cable was the first thing I bought for my car and although it cost around £300 it has probably saved me double that in garage visits and scan costs.

A bit cheaper with me £241 delivered via SD & it has saved me more than the car cost, truly has no BS, if I was to work out the hours spent with vagcom & the audi hourly rates it would be mind boggling, lol.

ive got an ebay cable, never let me down once - used for everything including logging maf readings, cruise control, faults etc...

and can be registered for 60 quid i think. Saving £240.

re your problem, go into the engine control module and look for faults there- the shareware version lets you do that.

unless its an older shareware version that you are using with a dumb/third party cable & you have bought license for then it wont be able to be registered, what version you running?

I think the full version would be best but £300 sounds abit steep!

I considered the liquid S3 with little screen, but it really is a little screen!!

Liquid is nowhere near as comprehensive as vagcom, nowhere near, in different league tbh, liquid is very good for some things & to watch your boost levels etc & it is IMHO an aesthetic option tbh for people who like toys, it is a good little product for monitoring aswell, but to do tests, check for faults, recode etc, forget it, vagcom FTW

I guess vagcom is the daddy for faults etc. Liquid certainly a nice toy with some added diagnostics.

So how much for vagcom ready to go? £300?

was just talking about vagcom again with a few mates what kit would we need to cover the s3 and mk4 golf and the mk 5 golf ?? we might all chip in :)

Hex-Can-USB mate will cover them all no worries, PM if interested.