VAG Admit Cheating Diesel Emmissions...

Well at least I benefited from cheap road tax before the 1.4 engine was rumbled and before we all go up to £140 anyway

Quote from Auto car link above-

Reports suggest that cars powered by the 1.4-litre four-cylinder petrol engine with Cylinder On Demand technology are affected. Further reports suggest that VW BlueMotion diesel models with three and four-cylinder diesel engines are also affected.

All that will happen is that they will publish the revised co2 and mpg figures, there is nothing to suggest it'll affect the road tax...

Same here in Ireland..... left column is the CO2 Band and the after the = is the annual road tax

0 - 1 grams of CO2 = 120 Euro
1 - 80 = 170 Euro
2 - 80 = 170 Euro
81 - 100 = 180 Euro
101 - 110 = 190 Euro
111 - 120 = 200 Euro
121 - 130 = 270 Euro
131 - 140 = 280 Euro
141 - 155 = 390 Euro
156 - 170 = 570 Euro
171 - 190 = 750 Euro
191 - 225 = 1200 Euro
226 - 999 = 2350 Euro

I don't think there will be any impact on road tax in the UK. If I understand this years Budget correctly almost all cars will be £140 a year from next year. I think the uk government has already made it clear the road tax will not be impacted for cars affected by the NOx situation so I would think this would be the same here.

What will be interesting is seeing any change in mpg figures

Who really cares about published mog figures anyway, I am more than happy with my car's ability to hit an average of 65mpg if I wish it too. All that'll happen is that vw will probably have repay co2 tax credit to governments.

I don't think there will be any impact on road tax in the UK. If I understand this years Budget correctly almost all cars will be £140 a year from next year.

Only for new cars (registered from April 2017 I think).

And yes, of course tax wouldn't be affected by the NOx scandal, tax isn't based on that! There is the potential for impact here though.

Just heard the news headlines - VW Sales dropped for the first time in many years.

Wonder if we'll have to pay the Dealers when we come to part-ex - or whether only VW / Audi Garages will accept our vehicles.

Just announced on the news. (U.S.)
90,000 VW vehicles are being recalled
due to a possible mechanical brake failure that can knock out the power assisted brakes. 2015-2016.

Reactions: Blackwhite
Sales of vauxhalls have also dropped by 15% as well so I think it general across the UK...

It affects cars sold here in Ireland as we have VAT on the car then an additional (illegal so most people say) VRT (vehicle registration tax) which the % is based on the CO2.
So the VRT on a 2015 S3 is 27% of the Open Selling price which is €47,766 so the VRT is €12,729 The higher the CO2 the higher the Tax ;(

Sorry but where are you getting it from that your car has the wrong co2 emission figures, nothing has been published yet and certainly nothing about the S3...

I was just giving an example of the Tax here in Ireland.... Our Road Tax and the final price of a car is based on emissions.

So for example if My S3 (I know it isn't at present) had a revised CO2 emission of 171+ then the Road Tax would go up from 570 euro to 750 per year and the VRT up from 27% of the 47k to 33%

This would have a huge impact on car values and new car sales

Ok I wasn't starting any rumours I was just trying to explain how the CO2 affects car tax here in Ireland.....
Would you like me to do the whole example as if I had a Diesel Car instead?

I had read that this latest one affected CO2 - is that not yet confirmed? I would imagine that it could affect tax if it is a CO2 issue, but difficult to say really - maybe the government will make VW pay the difference in everyone's tax instead? :p

Last edited:
Its about the published co2 and mpg data being wrongly certified, VW revealed: "Under the ongoing review of all processes and workflows in connection with diesel engines it was established that the CO2 levels and thus the fuel consumption figures for some models were set too low during the CO2 certification process. The majority of the vehicles concerned have diesel engines." We do not yet know how this will impact anything. Besides, incorrect co2 or mpg figures pales in comparison to that of a vauxhall that might catch fire or a toyota that doesn't stop. Even if the road tax was increased it would probably still be less than any of its competitors..

Possibly, though quite a lot of cars are in those tax bands these days - hence the changes coming (though not for existing cars). There are issues that are more important (airbags, fire etc), but that's not to say that emissions aren't important. I'm well aware there is a horde of climate change deniers on this forum, or lots of those too selfish to care perhaps, but until you come up with the peer reviewed scientific paper proving otherwise, I'll believe the experts thanks :)

VW engineers admitted rigging CO2 emissions - Bild

Several Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) engineers have admitted manipulating carbon dioxide emissions data because goals set by former Chief Executive Martin Winterkorn were difficult to achieve, Bild am Sonntag reported.

The paper said VW engineers tampered with tyre pressure and mixed diesel with their motor oil to make them use less fuel, a deception that began in 2013 and carried on until the spring of this year.

More:
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/11/08/uk-volkswagen-emissions-idUKKCN0SX0CP20151108
http://www.bild.de/bild-plus/geld/w...314534,var=a,view=conversionToLogin.bild.html

Similar to the kind of cheating that all the manufacturers use to get better mpg...

Nothing new there really, just general manipulation of tests. The official mpg figures have always been nonsense.

Just spotted on the Audi website some tweaks to the co2 limits for various engines such as the 2.0tdi 184ps. When I bought mine 2 years ago it was listed as 110g/km (£20/year). Now it's crept up to 112g/km (£30/year). Not much I grant you, but if you were in the £30 category and then get bumped to the £110 that would be noticeable!

Just spotted on the Audi website some tweaks to the co2 limits for various engines such as the 2.0tdi 184ps. When I bought mine 2 years ago it was listed as 110g/km (£20/year). Now it's crept up to 112g/km (£30/year). Not much I grant you, but if you were in the £30 category and then get bumped to the £110 that would be noticeable!
All manufacturers have had to make more accurate CO2 limits that take account of wheel size now.

Before, you could stick the smallest wheels available and then rate your whole range accordingly. Now, if you get S-line you've got to get at least 18" wheels and the CO2 is increased correspondingly.

Don't think it's just Audi who've had to change that though - spotted variable CO2 bands for BMWs the other day now as well, and cheekily they quote a range from say 100-107 g/km but you can only get 100 on 16" wheels which are 'unavailable' ;)

According to that list, both the manual and DSG Golf R models are affected..
That's what I thought.

I wonder why the Golf R is on the list and not the S3?
I thought the emissions and CO2 were similar?......but I may be wrong.

That's what I thought.

I wonder why the Golf R is on the list and not the S3?
I thought the emissions and CO2 were similar?......but I may be wrong.
Just checked some online tables and the DSG versions from both manufacturers are listed as 159 g/km which is what I have on my V5 document. Cant find the manual details for the Golf R.

It appears the Golf R manual comes in at 165 g/km and the S3 manual comes in at 162 g/km. DSG figures appear the same for both manufacturers.

Seems like my engine is uneffected? Not that I am really that bothered as I am thinking about a TT in the summer...

Well we can all sleep better tonight knowing that.

Reactions: deltapapa
Possibly sightly different configurations between the engines from Audi and VW concerning the manual as their emissions figures do differ, whereas the emissions figures on the DSG boxes are the same for both manufacturers.

Just checked my 3 Door S3 DSG and it is NOT repeat
Vehicle Not Impacted by the EA189 Campaign