VAG Admit Cheating Diesel Emmissions...

Hilarious local advert on the Radio this morning about the "scandal" - in a mock German accent as well.

Anyway, Trade Centre Wales (like a used Car Supermarket type of thing) are stating that ALL German Vehicles will have £2k instantly wiped off their Sticker Price from today.

Hope this isn't the way it's going to head now ??

Well as I said earlier sold mine on Saturday to WBAC and no reduction at all ..... I don't think they would have missed a chance if they could to get it cheap.

Maybe some sellers are using it to offer a "sale" and shift stock....

At a guess it has a list of the VIN numbers that are affected and if you enter a number which is NOT a VW number, it's not on the list so it says it's not affected. I know mine is OK but I would have thought my wife's 1.6TDI in her 2011 A1 would be affected. Not a problem as it's on a PCP and he has already agreed a price with a VW dealer against the new Polo she has on order that is due in the next couple of weeks..

That A1 won't be affected, as it's only 2l engines that are affected I believe.

I can see it now with the new A4 coming, 4K off the old A4, was dirty but now clean...clear the courts for the new arrival.
Joking aside I wish I was buying new, would be well up for a new A4 Avant with 2K discount!

Hilarious local advert on the Radio this morning about the "scandal" - in a mock German accent as well.

Anyway, Trade Centre Wales (like a used Car Supermarket type of thing) are stating that ALL German Vehicles will have £2k instantly wiped off their Sticker Price from today.

Hope this isn't the way it's going to head now ??

scare mongering and free advertising. nothing more.

Audi UK have just added the ability to check you car using the VIN number to their website. Scroll down the opening page to the picture of the top of a TDI engine and click 'Find out more...'

I have just entered my own VIN and it tells me my 184 is OK, but my wife's 2011 A1 TDI 1.6 does have one of the engines affected. As I said in an earlier post she will be handing it back to a VW dealer in the next couple of weeks to be replaced by a VW Polo 1.2 TFSI.

So it is obviously as I thought and it's not just 2.0 engines.

Last edited:
Interesting. Reports so far had said it was just 2 litre engines.

Interesting. Reports so far had said it was just 2 litre engines.
Perhaps they were US reports because I don't think they sell the 1.6 in the States. I've certainly read some non-US reports which referred to the 1.6 and 2.0 EA189 engines.

Is your 150 affected?

there was always a question about EU5 EA288 engines, being halfway between the EA189 and newer EU6 EA288 that were fitted to early 8V A3s like mine...well, checking on the audi website says....
"The vehicle with the VIN number you have entered does not have an affected E189 EU5 diesel engine. You do not need to take any further action."
...so no 8V 2.0TDi are affected, no EA288 engines at all, despite the press saying all A3s were bad.

Not checked mine yet. Sounds like mine isn't affected from the post above but I'm out at the moment. I have my laptop so will check shortly.

Needing to install flash in order to check your car is absolutely appalling. Not only that, but the application is unusable on any high resolution screen, can't read any of the text and zooming doesn't work- had to use the magnifier in windows!

That said, looks like my car isn't affected so that's good.

Lets hope all 8Vs are OK and do not need any software or other changes.

I agree it's a bit silly to have to have flash installed to access the information.

I mean, who the hell designed this?!

Stupidaudi

In the clear!! Not that it matters not changing it anyway even if it was

My 14 plate 2.0lTDI is not affected. I was almost sure it would be.

Not sure why anyone is concerned now ? You do not have to have the update made.
If you wish to it has to be offered , but no consequences if you don't bother....
Ok might be of interest if you want it done , but nothing more....

Needing to install flash in order to check your car is absolutely appalling. Not only that, but the application is unusable on any high resolution screen, can't read any of the text and zooming doesn't work- had to use the magnifier in windows!

That said, looks like my car isn't affected so that's good.

not that it helps but zooming works in chrome...
....there was me thinking that the whole point of flash/html was so that it behaved the same way in all browsers under all operating systems...

still, better to have a cr4ppy flash interface and a car that doesn't need to be tinkered with than the other way round.

Zooming for me affects the borders and margins, so it moves the flash application down and to the right as you zoom in, but doesn't affect the size of the application itself

I think the guys at Audi UK must just get involved in translating the normal German Audi website as they are both the same in appearance. Perhaps this time they have had to do something themselves are are not quite sure what they are doing. They should have asked VW UK for some advice as the VW version seems to work a lot easier.

Not sure why anyone is concerned now ? You do not have to have the update made.
If you wish to it has to be offered , but no consequences if you don't bother....
Ok might be of interest if you want it done , but nothing more....

Not if authorities make it part of annual registration - already murmurings here in AU that might be the aim

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
Checked mine and I'm in the clear.. For the moment. Spotted some press things today suggesting that some manufacturers are having issues meeting euro 6 emissions so are trying to do a deal to relax the next series of legislation...

Makes me wonder if current euro 6 stuff does meet the standards or they simply haven't owned up to that yet...(cynical I know!)

I say we all have reason for concern, if the expected end value of the car is say £1k lower that's money you have directly lost.

It will be interesting to see if devaluation affects the whole brand or just the affected engines.

I wouldn't be surpised that the 'media' has poisoned all VW Group vehicles.
The General Public will look at a diesel Audi as something to avoid because of the reporting (an perhaps mis-reporting...) of this.

Just my tuppence, other opinions are available....

I have just checked mine - A3 2.0tdi 184 and its in the clear...
Although my girlfriends Audi A1 1.6 tdi is not...
It says not to worry and will be in contact within a few months...
Where would she stand with residuals and something surely will have to give to fix it ie bhp/mpg?

just checked my 2013 A3 1.6tdi on the Audi website and it say's it's NOT affected :yahoo:

I have just checked mine - A3 2.0tdi 184 and its in the clear...
Although my girlfriends Audi A1 1.6 tdi is not...
It says not to worry and will be in contact within a few months...
Where would she stand with residuals and something surely will have to give to fix it ie bhp/mpg?

i'd worry about it when we know what the fix is and what affect it has on the car and its residuals. you'll drive yourself crazy trying to second guess, your best bet is not to read any more scare-mongering articles based on zero facts (ie anything and everything in any forum (other than this one, obviously) or in the press) and wait till you hear from audi. no one knows, no one on this or any forum knows. if anyone says they know then they're lying.
i doubt VW know the full details of the fix yet. knowing how long these things take to test before they finally reach a customer its going to be months...unless they already had the fix ready to go but that's another conspiracy theory.
it sucks to be left in the dark about all this, Dad is in the same position with his Q3, but listening to anyone other than vw/audi till its all over is a bad idea.

VAG now say that they will have to divert all their ready money to paying for this.The Financial Times has said they think it will cost upwards of 100 billion euros but who knows.If its true that 1000s of deaths are caused by these emissions someone will have to fix all the vehicles concerned.I don't make a lot of use of my old 2.5tdi but I wouldn't go near another diesel until this is all over and they are cleared if indeed that's possible.No doubt they thought all they were being clever in pushing diesels but the advice was wrong and we now have to pay the price

they're still cleaner than an old diesel belching clouds of black smoke out the back, cleaner than on old petrol car that smells of unburnt fuel as it drives by, cleaner than a lot of vehicles on the road.....just not as clean as we were lead to believe. The EU6 engines are within spec for emissions, no doubt there will be a EU7 standard soon which will be cleaner, its just that the old EA189 EU5's were a blip on the graph of an improving trend.
We were lead to believe that CO2 and particulates were the bad pollutants, engine manufacturers have addressed that. Now that NOx has been shown to be a problem it will be the next thing to focus on, just part of normal product development...they develop the features that sell, its expensive to develop features that no one is bothered about. All that this has done is push NOx higher up the list of things to be addressed next.

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Nimbus265 and Scottyg
When you think about it diesel CARS are quite a small proportion of all the diesel powered vehicles on the roads. What is going to be done to make all the lorries, buses and coaches give out less NOx.

Reactions: Soulboy
Doesn't seem like normal development for VAG and maybe others to lie about emissions which others now say are killing 1000s.Was it normal developmen for Cunard to let the Titanic to sail without enough lifeboats that left 100s to die and my town Southampton full of orphaned destitute kids.Nowadays the boats have enough lifeboats but instead they spend all day in dock here and in many other ports too with their engines running pouring out smoke so we live in one of the most polluted cities in th UK.No one talks about it cos the ships bring in so much money but the kids still have to breathe their emissions

In the papers today there was an item about the pollutants from 'Car Tyres'. What about all the other tyres on the road. Are they all made using a totally different process or is it just another newspaper headline to knock cars.