VAG Admit Cheating Diesel Emmissions...

Is the A3 1.6 ad bopth 2.0 tdi Euro 6 compliant, and if so since when?

MY15 cars, which my A3 is doesn't have adblue. So can't really answer the question but want to know the answer!

What do you think people deserve in compo?

Just interested to hear your opinion as I'm struggling to come up with any case for financial loss here...

As someone who has just taken delivery of a new 2.0TDI, when I ordered it I made sure it was euro 6 compliant - this was to ensure i didn't get caught up in the dirty diesel headlines from earlier this year, as the figures compare well to the petrol limits.

However if it turns out that it only passed these tests due to a defeat device then I feel I have bought something not as advertised. (Not even thinking that it's just plain illegal at the moment)

If without the device it stays within the euro 6 limits (seeing these are more accommodating than the US ones) then I haven't got a case for compensation, despite the negative news and the likely reduced resale value. But if my car has to have a recall to meet these standards that affects performance or economy figures, then damn right I feel I should be compensated, as I will end up with something that I didn't agree to when I signed the order form.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACWKGYTO, slayaz and Scottyg
I can't believe how litigation this country has become.

First thing people start shouting before the facts are even known 'I want compensation, I want compensation!'.

I blame the PPI debacle. Yes the banks were to blame, but someone had to sign the sodding forms and agree to it.
In my view it changed everything for the worse.

And this is the outcome.....
First thing everyone thinks is how much compensation can I get, before the facts are known.

Fair play where it's justifiable. But I just hate the hordes jumping at every opportunity for compensation.

Reactions: h5djr and Don76
........but in the case of the above post. I would class that as perfectly justifiable and rationale potential claim.
Its not a typical mass compensation chasers from people who don't even know about cars and emissions.

Reactions: ACWKGYTO and slayaz
MY15 cars, which my A3 is doesn't have adblue. So can't really answer the question but want to know the answer!

there are some dates in here.. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A3_8V
i'm pretty sure that my early 2013 2.0tdi is euro5, cant find anything that says 5 or 6 on it but the v5 has the NOx figures as 0.125; euro 5 is below 0.180 and euro6 is below 0.080 so 0.125 makes it a euro5.

This is all hearsay at the moment. However, if the facts do come out and cars are affected in a way that they weren't sold as it is 100% justifiable! No bandwagon, no gimmick selling, simply lying! I hope I don't get dragged into this with my A3 but the way reports are going I think I will be, and for the worse not the better.

It's all getting a bit too much

Reactions: Snibo
I think the whole A3 range went from EU5 to EU6 for MY2015, there were some early EU6 engines before that. Certainly they were all EU6 in the April 2014 brochure. My V5 NOx figure is 0.058.

Here's a vid explaining all about the "deception"

there are some dates in here.. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A3_8V
i'm pretty sure that my early 2013 2.0tdi is euro5, cant find anything that says 5 or 6 on it but the v5 has the NOx figures as 0.125; euro 5 is below 0.180 and euro6 is below 0.080 so 0.125 makes it a euro5.

Just incase anyone needs the info I checked my V5 (2.0TDI 150) it shows NOx figures of 0.060, so in theory it has a buffer of .020.

Not that helps much if we are talking about 10/20+ times worse actual results.

I'm just impatient to hear some concrete news, can't help but think what they might have to do should something need to be done to meet standards? One way would be to limit the travel on the throttle sensor to stop so much fuel being burned but if so how much bhp will we end up losing? 10,25, more?

I feel worse for the 184 owners as if mine ends up not making the grade then surely these will need to be detuned to the same level of the 150's and maybe even less for the quattro ones which are a bit heavier again.

But as someone mentioned earlier it's all hearsay at the moment, just have to be patient, take a deep breath and twiddle my thumbs while we wait to learn our fates... Fingers crossed it won't be a problem but if that's the case they should have come out and said this is not as bad as you think etc. as they are doing themselves a whole world of PR pain.

Petrol owners probably sitting quite nicely at the moment watching the kerfuffle!

VW have got a lot to answer for and it's nothing to do with this scandal, if they just used the 6 speed s tronic in the 1.4 COD I would have had one of those instead!!!

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
Tonight's Itv news 1.6/2.0l diesel cars in Britain will have to be re tested :rulez:

Looks like we'll find out tomorrow which models etc. have been affected:

Our central data collection regarding the affected 11 million cars is running on high speed / high pressure. We think that we will know by late this afternoon today that we will have a better view of the situation. Our goal is to give you precise information about the concerned brands and models and also markets tomorrow At the same time, we are keeping the national government and municipal authorities and offices and also subsidiaries informed about our next steps. Please understand that the complete and precise investigation is our utmost priority and we can therefore not give any more information at the present moment.

Volkswagen statement
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-34292335

I'm not holding out much hope that my nearly 1 year old 2.0TDI 184 isn't one of them to be honest.

Think i'll be seeking a part exchange for a petrol in the near future

Reactions: Scottyg
I feel for any TDI owner but I wonder about petrol too, the figures just seem too good to be true !

The S3 8v SB manual is Euro 6

Audi made a big deal about being ahead of the game

I wonder if my car really emits from the exhaust (taken from V5)

0.329 CO g/km
0.043 HC g/km
0.015 NOX g/km

Whats that in UK figures anyone ?

Looks like we'll find out tomorrow which models etc. have been affected:

Our central data collection regarding the affected 11 million cars is running on high speed / high pressure. We think that we will know by late this afternoon today that we will have a better view of the situation. Our goal is to give you precise information about the concerned brands and models and also markets tomorrow At the same time, we are keeping the national government and municipal authorities and offices and also subsidiaries informed about our next steps. Please understand that the complete and precise investigation is our utmost priority and we can therefore not give any more information at the present moment.

Volkswagen statement
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-34292335

I'm not holding out much hope that my nearly 1 year old 2.0TDI 184 isn't one of them to be honest.

Think i'll be seeking a part exchange for a petrol in the near future

I would say getting rid would be the worst thing to do, unless instead of compensation they offer a really good deal on a trade in to a 'clean' engine.

If you are like me and you actually love the car then hopefully we can all weather the storm.

We have to remember that even if they aren't as clean as they are supposed to be, there still miles cleaner than they were pre mid 2000's.

Just hope there is a solution that fits.

I would say getting rid would be the worst thing to do, unless instead of compensation they offer a really good deal on a trade in to a 'clean' engine.

If you are like me and you actually love the car then hopefully we can all weather the storm.

We have to remember that even if they aren't as clean as they are supposed to be, there still miles cleaner than they were pre mid 2000's.

It all depends on the fix as i'm pretty sure those affected will end up with less power or mpg.

I think the value of any car that's had the fix done will be hit quite significantly.

Maybe getting it part exchanged with Audi earlier is the best bet as the price of the car currently will not have been affected by all this.

What he said.
I would rather keep the car, emissions or not I managed an indicated 70.3mpg on 80 mile trip the other day.
As our cars don't use the addblue stuff one way they can make the NOx trap more efficient is to squirt a bit more fuel in and reduce the mpg a bit.... They're robbing Peter to pay Paul doing this as total co2 will go up at the expense of less NOx. Now if they chuck us a few £K and/or bung in some free services then I'm reasonably happy with that.
Need to wait for the media circus to calm down a bit and the conspiracy theories to stop so that we can get some facts. Till then the'experts' will cloud the truth.

Reactions: Pulp84
It all depends on the fix as i'm pretty sure those affected will end up with less power or mpg.

I think the value of any car that's had the fix done will be hit quite significantly.

Maybe getting it part exchanged with Audi earlier is the best bet as the price of the car currently will not have been affected by all this.

The good thing for a lot of us who are forced to buy using pcp means that we have a guaranteed price in x amount of years time. So if the residual value drops (significantly) below the GFV due to the scandal, then we just hand the car back and save ourselves a lot of depreciation.

Not a great situation as we would all like a bit of capital left over, but it does help minimise the possible pain.

Reactions: A3Kent
What he said.
I would rather keep the car, emissions or not I managed an indicated 70.3mpg on 80 mile trip the other day.
As our cars don't use the addblue stuff one way they can make the NOx trap more efficient is to squirt a bit more fuel in and reduce the mpg a bit.... They're robbing Peter to pay Paul doing this as total co2 will go up at the expense of less NOx. Now if they chuck us a few £K and/or bung in some free services then I'm reasonably happy with that.
Need to wait for the media circus to calm down a bit and the conspiracy theories to stop so that we can get some facts. Till then the'experts' will cloud the truth.

I don't disagree with either of you to be honest.

I guess we need to remain patient, see if our cars are affected, see what the fix is (and the consequences) and then weigh up the options.

I guess in 5 years or so when I go to sell the car, this will all be forgotten about anyway

Just playing devils advocate but if I were a dealer I wouldn't want to take one partex at the moment, not knowing if the value was about to drop or if I was going to end up with stock I couldn't shift.
My car has just ended up being the toxic debt of the automotive world ☺

The market does look bleak at the moment, I read one dealer (prestige diesels) are not buying any VAG diesels until the full details have emerged. So I expect most to do the same or offer silly money. Can't blame them I would be the same.

But I agree with A3Kent, in 5 years time it could be 'what scandal?'

Or these cars might be the last ever new-ish diesels and be highly desirable for fuel economy reasons if electric cars fail. Who knows what the future holds, I don't otherwise I would have bought my first house in 2002, but I was thinking the market was bound to crash at somepoint.. slaps forehead and thinks of the 80k that's not now in his bank account...

Just playing devils advocate but if I were a dealer I wouldn't want to take one partex at the moment, not knowing if the value was about to drop or if I was going to end up with stock I couldn't shift.
My car has just ended up being the toxic debt of the automotive world ☺

Volkswagen group will have to take your car as part ex otherwise they are admitting fault !!!!

What about a scenario when an accurate emission reading places a company car in a higher tax bracket, I'd say VW could be eligible to compensate the owner?

Reactions: Scottyg and ACWKGYTO
The market does look bleak at the moment, I read one dealer (prestige diesels) are not buying any VAG diesels until the full details have emerged. So I expect most to do the same or offer silly money. Can't blame them I would be the same.

But I agree with A3Kent, in 5 years time it could be 'what scandal?'

Or these cars might be the last ever new-ish diesels and be highly desirable for fuel economy reasons if electric cars fail. Who knows what the future holds, I don't otherwise I would have bought my first house in 2002, but I was thinking the market was bold to crash at somepoint.. slaps forehead and thinks of the 80k that's not now in his bank account...

Diesel should have been over towards the end of PD pumpe duse engines but VW and other manufacturers along with governments conned millions of us to carry on using them !

GREED

What about a scenario when an accurate emission reading places a company car in a higher tax bracket, I'd say VW could be eligible to compensate the owner?

Definitely....TDI has been sold as fleet for years, Benefit in kind, all this ********

We all knew this, its not really that much of a surprise

Do you have the 2.0tdi? Can't find actual figures for the 1.6tdi!
Yes mine's a 2.0TDI. The 1.6TDI was EU6 for MY2015, would need someone's V5 to confirm the actual value, unless its somewhere on the internet.

I'm thinking what the impact of this will be on hybrid and electric cars sales figures. I could see the OLEV £5k grant disappearing quick if people switch away from diesels due to hysteria.

Have a Golf GTE on order - £7k discount and a £5k OLEV grant got the car down to £25k. Can't see these incentives lasting long at all now! Was going to order a diesel Passat and now glad I didn't!

Diesel isn't dead yet but I think this might be the beginning of the end.....

Last edited:
Reactions: ACWKGYTO
Diesel should have been over towards the end of PD pumpe duse engines but VW and other manufacturers along with governments conned millions of us to carry on using them !

GREED

Depends on how bad we have been mislead, we know some vehicles are euro 6 (or do we? now that BMW's share price is falling...)

I for one never thought I would live to see the day when diesels didn't have tailpipes pointing down. We know DPF filters work well, as when I put my foot down I'm not making any pedestrians look like they've spent a day working as a miner due to the cloud of soot coming out.

It's all fine margins thereafter, I wonder if the 140 version's were upgraded to 150's on the basis that the software gets round the extra emissions?? More power, cleaner results, more sales. Although saying that if it's been a problem since 2009 then that can't be possible.

From someone who has worked in financial markets for 30 years.....
Dont panic.

The (current) not knowing stage is the most difficult.
Once the facts come out and a way forward is seen - and everyone accepts it - then it will find its natural level.

Reactions: Nimbus265, Bristle Hound, Simon L and 3 others
Depends on how bad we have been mislead, we know some vehicles are euro 6 (or do we? now that BMW's share price is falling...)

I for one never thought I would live to see the day when diesels didn't have tailpipes pointing down. We know DPF filters work well, as when I put my foot down I'm not making any pedestrians look like they've spent a day working as a miner due to the cloud of soot coming out.

It's all fine margins thereafter, I wonder if the 140 version's were upgraded to 150's on the basis that the software gets round the extra emissions?? More power, cleaner results, more sales. Although saying that if it's been a problem since 2009 then that can't be possible.

You might find that DPF's dont work well, because they make particulates microscopic and easier to enter the body

This isnt new, defeat devices have been used before and fines issues back in 1998

Newsnight showed the cheating test mode being used for emmissions tests back December 2014

This VW scandal was discovered a few years back its taken this long to go public !

VW were fined years ago for defeat devices

and as soulboy says wait for the markets to settle.....but I do think this time will be different, the world has changed, were all much more connected....just talking on this forum for instance

Get yourself a classic car, my mk2 golf doesnt even have any data for emmissions (that will probably end soon too ! )

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/09/23/meet-the-man-who-uncovered-volkswagens-lie.html