VAG Admit Cheating Diesel Emmissions...

They should refund all diesel owners the "emissions tax" money that's worked into the price of the vehicles.

I guess then if you are correct then the investigations will make the same connection. Perhaps they will say they were only following orders(sic).....

Forgot to add one last thing. Despite it being a joint engineering effort, VW/Audi will retain ownership of the IP and code, so they will be wholly liable, rather than the supplier.

Yep, here in Florida at least. Petrol is currently around $2 a gallon, and diesel was $2.45 when I filled up last night. Might be regional, but I know in North Carolina it's about 30c more vs petrol. The one good thing about diesel here at least is the price isn't as volatile as petrol and only fluctuates in winter when home heating oil is in greater demand, but it's still more than petrol is. Go to the gasbuddy site and throw in 33635 as the zip code and switch between "gas" and diesel and you'll see what I mean :)
I was over in the mountain states and west coast, which had similar prices for diesel, gas was anything from $2.57/gal right up to over $5 in parts of CA. Guess it varies a lot by location.

Where in Cheshire are you from btw? Grew up in Congleton until I emigrated here 12 yrs ago. I'll stop bitching about fuel prices tho since I know when I was there in April it cost me close to £50 to drive from Manchester airport to Congleton to Chester, to Warrington and back in a nice little A1 lol
I'm not from Cheshire, I just live here. ;)

So far the noise has been all about diesels. If the technology has been used to alter emissions in diesel engines, then you could probably bet that VAG aren't the only ones at it and also that similar technology has been used in petrol engined vehicles.
It could affect petrols, but it's less likely to as it's much easier to hit NOx targets for petrols legitimately. Also they don't have adblue or NOx traps which have been implicated in the fudging by the EPA, so again it's unlikely they are affected.

I thought it was just Nox?

However even if this did change the CO2 rating for your car, it will not affect you. HMRC don't tend to backdate things like this. For example my 1.4 TFSI COD was originally 109 CO2, but this recently changed to 114 which is a tax bracket higher. Though I'm not affected as I "got in" while it was 109.
Lower NOx tends to mean higher fuelling, and hence higher CO2 and reduced mileage. As you say though, HMRC don't usually backdate this sort of thing.

4. "My car's going to fail the MoT now."
MoT emissions tests are nowhere near as strict as the type approval tests that we're talking about here. My old Mondeo was remapped, de-catted, with no DPF and 100,000 miles on the clock and it still sailed through the tests. A modern DPFed, catted, EuroV / EuroVI is going to have no problems.
Also the MOT doesn't test for NOx. In fact the only emissions test for diesel cars is a smoke test (petrols are tested for HC, CO and lambda).

Is TDi the new PPI? Should us derv owners expect to be inundated with nuisance phone calls "have you been miss sold TDi, if so you could be due compensation"

Reactions: AndyB-S3, gibboson8, Ignition1 and 7 others
I'm due to be picking my my A3 2.0tdi next month. It's a company car... Should I be worried about going ahead with this now?
Yes.

People will be turning their noses up at you when they see you on the road, but not because you are in an Audi.

I remember when diesel fuel here in the US used to be a lot cheaper than gasoline. Now it cost about 50% more than regular gasoline.

Audi should promote the hell out of the A3 Etron now that the TDI has been banned.

VW better come up with a hybrid that can compete with the Prius, fast and let Diesel die.

oh and bring on that damn Eco button for the gasoline only engines.

Looked everywhere, but nobody seems to say what A3 are affected. Come on Audi tell us.

I understand that engine ea198 is the offending one, but which engine is that. I understand engine 288 is ok, but again which engine is that.

I have a late 150 bop 2.0 tdi which I believe is Euro 6 and 288 but I am not sure.

I believe mk 7 golfs were not euro 6 compliant until later than the A3.

Can anyone help, but if my A3 is non compliant surely it does not conform with its description and I should be compensated.

The lack of info from both Vw and Audi is concerning, and what about Skoda and Seat.

BBC Newsnight, December 2014

"-Finally, the expert says: "Cars can detect being tested. They can use that to put the car into a mode in which the engine is ultra efficient or to reduce the sort of pollution coming out of the exhaust pipe during a test..the car knows it is being tested"

Reactions: Scottyg
BBC Newsnight, December 2014

"-Finally, the expert says: "Cars can detect being tested. They can use that to put the car into a mode in which the engine is ultra efficient or to reduce the sort of pollution coming out of the exhaust pipe during a test..the car knows it is being tested"

Notice the date there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I said before and will say again the car industry is full of crooks and so is the government that regulates it.....therefore BUYER BEWARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not gonna by the hate mail so have you got a link to it

Meanwhile uk lawyers inundated with phonecalls re VW

Where theres blame theres a claim !!!!!

http://www.theguardian.com/business...s-cost-of-crisis-after-ceo-quits-live-updates

I dont understand how anyone in the UK can take action.

This all boils down to a rigged NOX test, and cars here do not have to conform to any NOX figure, only a Co2 figure.

The people in the UK bought the car based on a Co2 figure, which is not the issue, so i dont see why there would be compensation.

Reading that seems to suggest that new clean diesels are near too and closing in on petrol cars emissions and will probably better them in the coming years. Therefore, you'd think that the diesel market should survive if they continue on the same path they are going down?

Reading that seems to suggest that new clean diesels are near too and closing in on petrol cars emissions and will probably better them in the coming years. Therefore, you'd think that the diesel market should survive if they continue on the same path they are going down?

Isnt that because they ****** the books !

The figures are obviously very difficult to obtain and thats before Real driving tests come in.

That to.ser winterkorn quit and by doing so received a massive payout, plus 2 years pay

If they had fired him he would have got a lot less

They are crooks

Maybe a wee phone call is in order!

Let us know how you get on, problem is they probably wont know yet

VW doesnt want to really take the blame fully, otherwise they could go under

The lawyers are circling like vultures

Sorry to hear that mate....if it is hope you get what you deserve in compo

What do you think people deserve in compo?

Just interested to hear your opinion as I'm struggling to come up with any case for financial loss here...

Reactions: Soulboy
Meanwhile theres money to be made in other sectors off the back of this....we live in a funny world dont we !

Matthias Müller, the CEO of Porsche, is odds-on to become the new boss of Volkswagen.

He’s followed by four company insiders, led by Herbert Diess, who runs Volkswagen’s passenger car brand.

Here’s the latest odds from Ladbrokes:

• 1/2 Matthias Muller
  • 4/1 Herbert Diess
  • 5/1 Rupert Stadler, the chairman of Audi
  • 5/1 Andreas Renschler, who runs Volkswagen’s commercial vehicles arm,
  • 6/1 Winfried Vahland, CEO of Škoda

What do you think people deserve in compo?

Just interested to hear your opinion as I'm struggling to come up with any case for financial loss here...

Too early to tell....lots of ifs and buts.....lets see how this unfolds

Too early to tell....lots of ifs and buts.....lets see how this unfolds

I suppose we'll have to wait but it's smacks of a compensation culture / bandwagon to me.

VW have broken the law in the US which is all we know for certain right now.

That will land them with considerable fines, but I'm struggling to see how the individual buyer of a VAG car is going to be out of pocket over this in a way which can be claimed against legally.

e.g. if oil prices went through the roof and S3 residuals crashed as a result, you'd have no claim against Audi because the contract you have with them is to supply the car, not to guarantee any future value (PCP etc. aside, which is presumably unaffected anyway).

I just feel that a lot of people see something like this happen and £-signs appear on their eyelids... but maybe I'm being too cynical.

Reactions: h5djr, RichKK and Martinbanshee
2CA64D5100000578-3246061-image-a-99_1443006606368.jpg

I still love my car, don't get me wrong. However, if they have to alter the engine, power, mpg etc and it makes the car something different to what I bought, then yes, owners should be compensated. I can't understand why you think they shouldn't be. If they took your car back messed around with the ECU and it came back running, accelerating, and performing differently I bet you wouldn't be happy??

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
I still love my car, don't get me wrong. However, if they have to alter the engine, power, mpg etc and it makes the car something different to what I bought, then yes, owners should be compensated. I can't understand why you think they shouldn't be. If they took your car back messed around with the ECU and it came back running, accelerating, and performing differently I bet you wouldn't be happy??

Absolutely, but I simply cannot believe that they will do that over here.

My car is capable of passing an MoT as it stands. Failure to pass the manufacturer tests is what's going to give them the huge fines but we don't have any evidence that they have defrauded UK Gov yet.

If they do recall and reduce performance to meet emissions, absolutely I'd want some kind of compensation (a chance to break the lease, change the car etc. as a minimum). I'd just be surprised if they do have to gimp the cars over here.

(*bookmarks thread so I can eat humble pie in 12 months when my A3's down to 90bhp and 20mpg*)

The more that comes out the more likely that customers will have to be compensated. I didn't buy a 90bhp 35mpg car IF it transpires that to get the figures right that cars will be dramatically altered.
Again, time will tell. An interesting few weeks ahead.