VAG Admit Cheating Diesel Emmissions...

I agree others could be involved.....but I do care about air pollution from dirty diesels that should have been switched off years ago

Its killing people especially in UK and European cities where most people live.

Reactions: cemerson
Lock it down man....I dont give a ****

:noentry::end of discction:

Last edited by a moderator:
So the volkswagon CE, Martin Winterkorn, has resigned then, I guess that was inevitable. So can the same 'trick' can be applied to petrol engines, as someone has suggested, because from what I understood at first that it all revolves around an additive used in diesels that I don't think is used in petrol engines. However now I am reading from the BBC it seems to now put the vehicle into a sort of safety mode in which the engine ran below normal power and performance and once on the road it reverts to normal. I guess this might mean other engines need to be investigated?
I guess it was always going to happen that class action law suite would happen, lawyers can always see a fast buck to be had...

Bring on the class action....apparently there is a new uk law under consumer rights act coming in next month that means groups of people can sue companies !

The sh.t has really hit the fan, I'm not sure VW will ever be the same again....that might be a good thing, theyve got too big for their boots under Winterkorn's direction.

DIE ... SEL

Is this the end will investment/research now switch to petrol hybrids ?

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L
DIE ... SEL

Is this the end will investment/research now switch to petrol hybrids ?

Think it was anyway...VAG cant milk tdi forever, they did it for about 6 years longer than they should of anyway.....hence were here now with this crisis because they cheated the system and polluted the hell out of everywhere for profit.....Winterkorn should do time, unless he really didnt know about it !

Reactions: Rob2k68
Shouldn't assume things, especially on the Internet! :blow:

No assumption, I said if ....

The other thread I started on Monday should be locked, I didnt see the thread @cuke2u started on Saturday until it was too late

Reactions: cuke2u
VW are filing criminal charges !

Against who ? Themselves ?

Ridiculous :haha:

The decent could be seen miles away.

For example, my Xenon Plus Headlights, by Audi's own description is suppose to have an automatic washer system.

On my US A3 it doesn't.

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
I'm not a diesel kinda guy, so IM'd a few colleagues who are, and they say......

There is (speculation) a clever algorithm that detects when it's on a test cycle (steering angle input, rev range duration, barometric pressure, only driven wheels turning etc). If it thinks it's on an emissions test cycle, it will alter the EGR to give lowest NOx, as well as altering the air:fuel ratio for cleanest burn.

When it's not on a test cycle, the map is optimised for max economy or power, depending on inputs. Not optimised for NOx emissions.

As has been said above previously.

Reactions: veeeight
I didn't have any problems understanding it the first time around :p

Reactions: Scottyg and ACWKGYTO
Ok they manipulated the software, but it's always been a load of tosh .

The nine ways car manufacturers can legally cheat

1. Taping up the car – To minimise air resistance, manufacturers can tape up the cracks and joints in car panels, thus making the car more aerodynamic and reducing its fuel usage.

2. Disconnecting the alternator – With a fully-charged battery, a car will run for long enough to complete the test – and there’s no requirement for manufacturers to keep the alternator running, so they can disconnect it and thus reduce the load on the engine.

3. Different lubricants – Using less viscous lubricants than would be supplied with the car as standard or fitted by a dealer on a service reduces the friction of various components within the engine, and results in a reduction in the amount of fuel being used.

4. Reducing brake friction – Brake discs and pads which generate less friction than the standard items can make the braking phases of driving more efficient by allowing greater control of the brake force and reducing the chances of over-braking.

5. Test temperature – Choosing to run the test when the weather conditions are more favourable can give the manufacturer a 2.3 per cent reduction in fuel consumption.

6. Tyre pressures – Increasing the pressure of the tyres compared with their recommended standard pressures reduces the contact patch of the tyre and, thus, the friction it’s creating – and even though it can be unsafe to use your car like this as it creates less grip, manufacturers can get away with it.

7. Driving technique – Of course, a smoother driving technique can pay dividends for any driver. But the test require manufacturers’ testers to drive unrealistically carefully – for example, by accelerating so slowly that it’d be dangerous and ineffective on a busy road in the real world.

8. Reducing the weight of the vehicle – There are ways in which a manufacturer can reduce the weight of a car – though Altroconsumo doesn't specify which – that stay within the regulations of the test, and can reduce consumption by as much as 4.4 per cent.

9. ‘Margin of error’ improvements – Various allowances give manufacturers the benefit of improving the score artificially, building in a “margin of error” in case of any testing irregularities.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
So. Add another thing to the pot.

The ECU suppliers. Bosch/Siemens/whoever.

It is not possible that the engineers did not know.

Were they complicit, did someone squeal?

Reactions: Nimbus265 and Bristle Hound
I don't pretend to understand how ECU's are manufactured however the car manufacturers are able to add their own coding to the ECU's used for different cars and engines. Perhaps all ecu manufacturer's supply are units with a base code to work from...

The engine ECU calibration and code, is done jointly by the supplier and manufacturer.

The usual scenario is that the supplier has their own engineers in the manufacturers offices. They will work together right from prototype up till production, Job 1 +90.

They practically live in each other's pockets, there is no way that they will not have known.

To answer your specific query about the same ECU hardware being used for many cars - yes, the appropriate code will be uploaded to the hardware depending which car it is.

But the code will have been developed jointly, which is why I maintain there is no way in this world the supplier did not know.

This Thread is better than a Rocky Film....LOL

Reactions: Nimbus265 and Simon L
Today's news - tomorrow's chip paper

Reactions: Scottyg, Simon L and Jassyo06
Thats funny I was at boxing training this afternoon....just about to have a few raw eggs !

One of those statements is true Trust me I drive VAG

Reactions: Nimbus265, Jassyo06 and Simon L
VW hires BP oil spill lawyers to defend emissions cases

You couldnt make this up, its like an episode of Dallas

Result will be Real Driving Emissions (RDE) tests

No more of this baloney, 65mpg but only getting 40mpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Fred007 and gamegenie
My biggest concern in all of this is that they'll probably not buy red bull F1 now.

As a TDi owner, I couldn't care if they fudged the test. If they've fudged the CO2 test here then I win as it's lower company car tax for me.

Surely nobody will be surprised that smelly diesels aren't as green as we were told.

Reactions: Scottyg
Exactly what I was thinking, the amount of investment in the Ducati MotoGP team and a push into F1 are likely to be reconsidered now.

Reactions: Scottyg
There's a lot of nonsense being spouted around t'internet at the minute...1

1. "I bought it because it was green, now I feel cheated".
No you didn't, you bought it because it got decent mpg, and it still does. If you were buying to be green you'd have bought a Leaf / e-tron / Tesla.

2. "They're going to put the BIK rates up for these cars".
Not for cars that have already been sold, as the rates are already set, and they're set on CO2, not on NOx levels.

3. "They're going to recall the car and ruin the perfomance to re-enable the emissions controls".
Firstly whilst UK cars probably have the software, we don't know if it's affectd the tests as EU tests are very different. Secondly, I just cannot see them being allowed to gimp 11 million cars. They'll have to leave the cars largely alone and pay f*ck-off fines.

4. "My car's going to fail the MoT now."
MoT emissions tests are nowhere near as strict as the type approval tests that we're talking about here. My old Mondeo was remapped, de-catted, with no DPF and 100,000 miles on the clock and it still sailed through the tests. A modern DPFed, catted, EuroV / EuroVI is going to have no problems.

Reactions: Nimbus265, Simon L, Scottyg and 2 others
The engine ECU calibration and code, is done jointly by the supplier and manufacturer.

The usual scenario is that the supplier has their own engineers in the manufacturers offices. They will work together right from prototype up till production, Job 1 +90.

They practically live in each other's pockets, there is no way that they will not have known.

To answer your specific query about the same ECU hardware being used for many cars - yes, the appropriate code will be uploaded to the hardware depending which car it is.

But the code will have been developed jointly, which is why I maintain there is no way in this world the supplier did not know.
I guess then if you are correct then the investigations will make the same connection. Perhaps they will say they were only following orders(sic).....

I'm due to be picking my my A3 2.0tdi next month. It's a company car... Should I be worried about going ahead with this now?