V8 Tuning

aragorn

"Stick a V8 in it!"
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Anyone got any info on proper oldskool tuning on the V8 motors?

I know the S8 has some extra spikey inlet cams and solid inlet lifters and makes an extra 40hp over the ABZ, but anyone seen a properly tuned V8 with spiky cams all round, gasflowed heads, +1mm valves. Maybe even going to mappable management and ITB's?

When you consider that a set of ITB's alone on a C20XE will take it from 150 to nearly 200hp, the same mods to the V8 should easily see it knocking on the door of 400hp?

Even without ITB's, fitting some tasty exhaust manifolds, highflow cats, extra spikey cams all round and some headwork must have the motor approaching 400hp?

Oooh thats interesting. Confirms my suspicion that 400hp is possible without ITB's, if they're managing it with only some cams and an exhaust!

One nice thing with it being a chuffing great V8, is that any mod tends to have double the gains it would on a 4pot. So sport cats and an exhaust might unleash 5-10hp on a 2.0 4cyl, its likely to unleash 10-20hp on a 4.2.

While turbo's come close if your running low boost, there really is no replacement for displacement... With a turbocharged engine, if you keep the boost low and only increase the engines output below ~200% of an NA engine, everything stays reasonably nice and it usually feels like your simply driving a car with a bigger engine. Once you go past that limit it just starts to get a bit rubbish.

A 400hp 4.2L V8 would be rather awesome especially when compared with a 400hp 1.8T

look how much trouble they have trying with the b7 rs4 v8 and trying to get it to make 400bhp

tbh i dont think id bother

go nuts and put an rs6 lump in

Turbos muffle all that V8 lurvelyness...

ITB's let it all out!

I didnt think they had any trouble getting 412hp from the RS4 engine?

I had a mate who bolted a series one body onto the bastardised chassis of a range rover with the 3.9 HSE EFiV8 in it. he stripped the EFI and replaced it with carbs.

he was running high 300's from it with custom inlet and twin dellorto's, seriously ported head and lumpy cams, pretty much a straight through exhaust.
open topped in yellow.
very funny chasing sporty cars down the motorway after the 4x4 trials, caked in mud with massive block tyres droning away at 90mph!

certainly acheivable but he did spend a lot on it

Thats why i'm fitting an audi engine with 300hp as standard!

Landrover tranny wont take much more though and 300hp in a defender will already be stupid (it will be faster than a stock S4...) so the defender engine is staying standard.

If i did a silly V8 it would be in an Audi Quattro shell!

Turbos muffle all that V8 lurvelyness...

ITB's let it all out!

I didnt think they had any trouble getting 412hp from the RS4 engine?
have a look on some of the boards, they all seem to be well under power

Really? I've never heard that, but i dont hang around RS4 forums much.

The S6/S8 makes 360hp and given the RS revs to 8k it cant be that hard to eek out an extra 54hp!