V6 Grill size?

DylanV6

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd like to replace the existing grill on my 2004 3.2 V6 with a black version as I've seen many others do.
I recently ordered one but it doesnt fit so thats going back - it was advertised as 'not suitable for S-Lines', but although a Sport model as far as I'm aware my V6 isnt classed as an S-line - maybe it has the same size bumper/grill?
Can anyone advise ?
IMG 0213

You're trying to fit a double grill from a slightly later model onto your early split grill. Won't work

You can see its too narrow (same both sides) although the 3x top mounting holes line up. Id assumed with any one-piece grill for my bumper id have to modify the bumper.

You're trying to fit a double grill from a slightly later model onto your early split grill. Won't work
Realise id have to make some bumper mods to make it work, are you saying that single piece conversions for my bumper arent available?
If not, any idea where I could get similar style 2-piece replacements?

The place that sold me the above confirmed that they sell the single piece grill for 2004 models, which mine is. Was there a crossover of styles in 2004? I thought that was later, 2005 on.

Realise id have to make some bumper mods to make it work, are you saying that single piece conversions for my bumper arent available?
If not, any idea where I could get similar style 2-piece replacements?
Yeah there aren't any double grill conversion kits out there for that bumper. It's a topic that's been covered since the double grills came out.
Only option would be to do a facelift conversion, which would require more than just the bumper.

The double grill came out when the sportback came out, so 04/05

Yeah there aren't any double grill conversion kits out there for that bumper. It's a topic that's been covered since the double grills came out.
Only option would be to do a facelift conversion, which would require more than just the bumper.

The double grill came out when the sportback came out, so 04/05
Ok thanks for the feedback. Maybe its a sign I should stop playing about with it and concentrate on my actual car project!

Didn't the bumper, wings, bonnet etc change on the facelift 8P in '08. So a single grille bumper from an '05 car would fit fine on a pre '05 car that has the split grille?

Didn't the bumper, wings, bonnet etc change on the facelift 8P in '08. So a single grille bumper from an '05 car would fit fine on a pre '05 car that has the split grille?
Thats what I'd assumed, but Ive only had the A3 for 1 week+ and am still unfamiliar with the various dates of change.

To go from a split grill to the double grill you need bumper, bonnet, fogs and some behind the scenes bits.
To go to the 08/09 facelift you need bonnet, wings, bumper, headlights, etc etc etc

Reactions: abmat
That's my new thing learnt for the day then.

Crazy Audi logic to think the early 3 door models had a different front end & then all totally changed again with the introduction of the sportback a few years later.

I found this thread which explains it all very clearly - results look good but ill stick with what I have, for now at least.