V power is it worth it?

mikeyboy

S-line
Reaction score
Hi peeps. I not long ago bought a 58 plate A4 s-line 1.8T (160). The car is great (still miss my A3 2.0 TDI though). I was recently thinking of running it on v power but I understand you have to run 3 tank fills of the stuff before you notice a difference. I was wondering do you actually notice a difference? I would hate to go through 3 tanks of the stuff only to find no difference. Not to sure would the 1.8T benefit from it either. I was also reading somewhere that once the ecu adapts to this fuel and if you go back to regular unleaded the car would run like a bag of spanners. Can anyone on here persuade me to convert to v power or should I just save the extra pennies and buy a few lottery tickets instead?

I doubt you will notice any difference unless you put it on the rolling road and see the few bhp it might give.

I put it in anyway, its only a little bit more per tank and its suppose to be better. Good enough for me.

V-Power should clean it up a bit - as long as you travel a reasonable distance and not just around town etc. On my wife's old 1.4 16V Polo, that should not be able to make proper use of that stuff, the low end torque gets improved a lot (well from nothing to something!), acid test being that it can be driven up a hill and round a bend near our house in a higher gear than when using normal UL - though that car does have a pinking problem when weather is hot, so the UL+ sorts that as well. I think that there is a trend to force car makers of "normal duty" cars to make do with UL at best, UL+ only being needed for performance cars - that is proper performance cars!

If you dont have a car that's mapped specifically to benefit from the higher octane fuel or your manual says specifically to use it, then you'll get limited value from it. If (big if) there is any more detergent in it then you may get slightly cleaner burn, but given the way TFSi /TSi engines coke up I wouldn't hold your breath. Problem is if you mix tank to tank the ECU is constantly having to adapt, so I'd suggest choosing one and sticking with it.

Last edited:
Well I filled up with v power nitro + lastnight and straight away I have noticed slightly better mpg, most I had out of it was 35 mpg and I got 38.6 mpg today without trying to drive economical. Haven't noticed any power increase but maybe will after a few more tank fills. I think I'll stick with v power now:)