V-power diesel benefits?

allanmb

Reaction score
I saw a similar thread to this but it was asking about Unleaded. Does anyone use V-power diesel (or other premium diesel) in there A4? Does it give any noticeable difference in power or fuel economy?

Or even better still has someone ran a few tanks and used fuelly and actually found a difference in fuel economy?

I wouldn't bother mate,

I tried a couple of tanks worth last year whilst on holiday and did not notice any difference in power or fuel economy, well not any noticeable difference to my a4 sline anyway.

I think it does give a slight increase in MPG over Shell Fuelsave based on brim-to-brim calculations, but maybe only 1-2 MPG. This isn't enough to compensate for the higher price!

As for power, I can't really notice any difference, though some think the engine sounds smoother.

Shell V-Power Diesel is designed to facilitate enhanced engine performance along with increased engine protection, for more consistent operation and engine longevity.

V-Power Diesel is a blend of regular petroleum-based diesel and synthetic diesel, created using gas to liquids (GTL), along with some extra additives designed to clean the injection system and improve injection pump and injector lubricity.

One characteristic of V-Power diesel is that it is a lot clearer and odourless than normal diesel, mainly due to the synthetic GTL component.

The fuel is slightly less dense than regular diesel so, per volume, the unit energy is actually lower than regular diesel. This is offset, as the fuel tends to ignite more readily (and thus has a higher cetane rating) than regular diesel, and a side benefit of this is that it tends to produce less soot during combustion.

Last edited:
Reactions: SPARTAN91 and allanmb
Personally it costs me £90 to fill up with regular diesel (1.37p/l) compared to V-Power which costs me £94 to fill up (1.44p/l) although the price per litre when you're sitting in the forecourt seems very different, it is in fact not.

Plus they fuel this with it.

Nf3LjAx.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: kanecullen89
Interesting info. Thanks. Does the premium warm up quicker than regular? Or work better in cold conditions? Coming from a petrol v6 I've noticed that diesel is very touchy with cold weather and requires a good while to warm up to best efficiency.

Shell Canada sell a different type of V-Power with a winter additive. This is very different to the UK's. Is this what you mean? By "good while to warm up" due you mean engine temp? How do you mean touchy?

It just doesn't seem to be very efficient in the cold. Even a few degrees in temp is the difference between mid 30s mpg to mid 40s. And yes I mean engine warm up time. I was just thinking that the synthetic fuel might be designed to work at a better range of temperatures which would be better for cold engines and cold weather

When the engine is below 90 oC, the efficiency will be down due to how a diesel works on combustion, this is also linked in to the warm up time due to Diesel engine blocks being MUCH thicker than the petrols. This is all helped by the EGR system which when cold feeds the intake with more than usual amounts of warm exhaust gases to aid warm up. This will be helped by the V Power because it has less unit energy which helps it ignite earlier, which in theory will help warm up times!

Nothing to worry about with the warm up time, just be gentle lol Mine takes almost 10 minutes to get up to temperature depending on the drive lol

I've always used BP Ultimate that worked for me mpg wise and car seems to run smoother.I would use v-power but the BP garage is right on my door step and the Shell one is 1/3 of the way on the way to Norwich for me and i don't go in that direction much.

ESSO equivalent to Vpower work for me every time definitely better power difference. V6 Diesel Quattro

What about an additive like the Millers stuff? Any opinions?

I have been starting using V POWER from last 2 months & i can definitely see the difference in MPG & quick engine response when put your foot down!!!!

so ill recommend that to anyone, worth every penny & good for your engine too ;-)

This thread has cost me a fiver, Im going to try some when i fill up next.

I've tested Petrol V-Power in the bike, made no difference, maybe i need to try the Diesel stuff?

Tested two tank fulls in my B8, made absolutely no difference in power or MPG?? Personally I think its a load of rubbish and a waste of time, but if someone thinks its good, and in their mind thinks its got benefits then good luck to them.

VPower Petrol is definitely worth it for a forced induction vehicle as the higher octane will reduce knock.

I'm still unsure on VPower Diesel as I believe it's just got a cleaner in it.

I think there is a lot of subjectivity. It would be good if someone had proof of the benefits of otherwise. Calculating the fuel using brim to brim top-ups would be good enough for me...

I am delighted to announce that today, Shell UK launches Shell V-Power Nitro+ Unleaded and Diesel – our latest generation of performance fuels innovated in our laboratories by Shell Scientists and inspired by our technical partnership with Ferrari.

What’s new?

•Shell V-Power Nitro+ fuels are designed to get to work instantly in your engine on deposits that can reduce the performance of your car.

•Shell V-Power Nitro+ Unleaded also contains 25% more Friction Modification Technology (FMT), when compared with previous Shell V-Power Unleaded. The FMT has been tested with Ferrari, and is designed to instantly reduce friction in critical engine areas, thereby helping the engine to deliver more power to the wheels.

•Shell V-Power Nitro+ Diesel contains a new, more powerful detergent technology for faster and more effective clean up of diesel fuel injection systems (when compared to our previous Shell V-Power Diesel), even in the latest generation of diesel engines. It is designed to restore and maintain engine power by actively protecting your engine.

Reactions: SPARTAN91
Im spell bound! will have to fill up again:drool:.....not

Sorry. Just as an example, If I wanted a black car I'd buy one but I don't, so I didn't. I also don't tell people to not buy one! That's there decision. The original post was a viable question, if you wish to disbelieve in it then make it your choice to post a fair opinion and maybe prove some practicable tests for us. I'm open to read up on any research! :)

Reactions: johnnythepie and allanmb
OK, the original post was very much a viable question to which I answered correctly, :haha:

Quote as from original post "Or even better still has someone ran a few tanks and used fuelly and actually found a difference in fuel economy?"

I answered honestly to say I had ran a couple of tanks, no with noticeable difference in power? or MPG.

And yes it is your car, your money and your choice, I just stated what I found when I ran it, a fair opinion.

Anyway to continue with this one more time just for my own curiosity, I have decided to fill up again this morning with the V Power diesel and do some more checks just incase I am missing something here?? apart from the science bit, cleaner engine and injectors etc?, i have no camera (endoscope) to look in the engine or up the injectors! so will just have to take the manufacturers word on that one.:haha:

So Iv'e brimmed the car from almost empty and will report back later.

So far Just done a 30 mile eachway trip to work and back, so plenty of miles left in the tank yet, but unfortunately I have to be honest and say I have'nt noticed any extra power? or better running??

Would be interested if someone else could do the same test, who doesn't normally use V Power, and see if they agree and what Power and MPG they get compared to a tank full of normal standard diesel.

To be fair, you are not going to notice a power increase. Its going to be 1/2bhp, so unnoticeable.

And for MPG results, unless you drive the same road, the same conditions in ever way, you cannot be sure either.

It may be a waste of money, or maybe its not. I'm sure on lab tests and dyno runs it does improve the engine, but in reality you are not going to notice anything.

Personally, I go for V power because A) it cleans the injectors etc... and B) I spent £13k on a car and a few quid on a tank of fuel doesn't matter.

Reactions: Audi Toby
Yep, I agree it is most likely to have a cleaning agent in it and that can only be a good thing for obvious reasons it will keep your injectors clean and possibly some other internals of the engine so for that reason only I would agree why not spend the extra few quid and buy it.
But its not a wonder fuel,so all i am saying is try it but dont expect any noticeable improvements in power or Mpg because its gonna disappoint you.

Just a detergent in diesel and it's added to the normal diesel when they load the lorries at the depot. I use it because I want my engine working clean, but can't say it's better in any way I can notice than normal diesel.

I was only saying it because you had given your advice which is good but It's just I see you on several threads constantly putting peoples ideas down in a sarcastic way.

Back to the thread though, I never mentioned a 'noticeable' or 'wonder fuel' difference I explained the science behind the fuel and the concepts of how it works alongside your engine. Chemistry in an applied manner (the fuels effect in the engine) is very complicated and a bit more technical than just tipping in a detergent to the lorries tanks.

About the power I have to agree with "Rodders" that you won't be able to feel anything and to replicate a drive like for like is 99% not possible.

But all in all everyone is to their own, take the research in and make your own decision.

OK I think we might be getting there with regards to the original thread "Does it give any noticeable difference in power or fuel economy?" answer is no! ...for the benefit allanmb who asked the original question. Forget the science of how it keeps your bits clean etc, it went abit off track I think!,most of us would never know anyway and like I said that is something you would have to take the manufacturers word for this. You can quote all the manufacturers research as much as you like but you have to remember that they are after selling a product here? and in the name alone " V Power " it is, I have to say a very clever marketing name which some people would be taken in by, and expect a wonder fuel.

Personally I may put the odd tank full in now and then, but would not go out of my way to find it and use it, there are many diesel additives on the market, some very good that do the self and same thing.

Ok Paul, I have to agree that there won't be a 'noticeable' difference. I agree again on the marketing, but you can't word associate like that for example, my razor doesn't make a 'whoosh' noise or speed up my shaving experience lol. But yeah the V 'Power' bit originated in the unleaded version which was released a few years before the diesel alternative. Which does increase the power more due to the difference in compression and sparks lol

With the filling up side like 'Rodders' said I spent a LOT of cash buying my car and for the extra £4 a tank, I'm happy :) lol.

Personally, I have found shell v power/nitro to be pretty good. To me it is differant in that the engine response seems sharper and smoother. If this is ust in my head then so be it. For the sake of a couple of extra quid to me its worth it. No effect on MPG as I get **** economy anyway, so thats not an issue.
However what with the extra supposed additives, I hope there wont be a repitition of a fwe years ago when shell produced a fuel that rotted valve seats and had to be withdrawn. Have also tried BP ultimate diesel which might as well have been supermarket fuel. What the hell...I like it so Ill use it