Useless Dim Alarm LED.

CHAD

If it aint broke, tweak it.
Reaction score
Anyone changed this to a brighter one yet?

Does anyone know how to get access to this area to get to the LED?

I would be interested in replacing the useless Audi one for one you can actually see too. Cannot understand why they used such a dull LED...

Just had a look at the alarm led - downside is that it looks like its a complete unit -boo - not just a led attached to 2 wires. Its a clear led once take the black cover off.
Another option to make it a bit brighter would be to drill the redish cirular part out as shown in the pic (pink arrow).

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/rsarjantson/Alarmledcover.jpg

Did a quick video to show its much brighter without the cover
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/rsarjantson/?action=view&current=alarmledvid.flv

Does anyone know the part numbers for the led & the cover ?

Richard

Simply replacing the led probably won't be enough to increase the brightness. You will need to reduce the value of the associated series resistor to increase the current flowing through the led. The reason it's dim is to reduce battery drain.

. The reason it's dim is to reduce battery drain.

So why is it nice and bright in just about every other Audi model?
I can see the LED of my neighbours TT from across the road.
Of course, the fact it's situated on the door helps, but it's still nice and bright.

The new TT has exactly the same LED in the same position as the A3. The previous model had one mounted in the drivers door. It would be interesting to know why Audi have changed the location on the TT.

So why is it nice and bright in just about every other Audi model?
I can see the LED of my neighbours TT from across the road.
Of course, the fact it's situated on the door helps, but it's still nice and bright.

The angle of view is the reason for the apparent brightness difference.

I thought the reason was that the A3 one is hidden behind a lump of plastic, the TT one isn't

it matches the equally quiet alarm siren :)

I was jetwashing my car the other week and somehow it set the alarm off on the car while i was walking back to the garage. It was such a low volume that i thought it was a smoke alarm inside the house. Can't say i'm too impressed...

As I've mentioned before the noise an alarm can make is now limited by law to a maximium of 55 decibels.

The last time i had a bit of trapped wind it probably hit more than 55 decibels....Real useful. Surely the point is to obviously raise alarm, not to avoid disturbing people? Hey, what do i know...

The last time i had a bit of trapped wind it probably hit more than 55 decibels....Real useful. Surely the point is to obviously raise alarm, not to avoid disturbing people? Hey, what do i know...

In today's society, the alarm is only really there to alert you.
Other people would really rather not hear it, apparently.
Sad, but there you go.:(

Just spat coffee over my PC!

Dave -
I know there's some european legislation over decibel limits, I also know cars belonging to friends and colleagues are louder than my A3, or at least have a higher pitched more piercing tone to them

The car has the capability of making more noise, that's for sure.
The alarm on/off bleep I got activated by the dealer was louder than my alarm.
So, perhaps, the alarm can be made louder through VAGCOM??

I know there's some european legislation over decibel limits, I also know cars belonging to friends and colleagues are louder than my A3, or at least have a higher pitched more piercing tone to them

The legislation for the UK is The Audible Motor Vehicle Alarms Bill 2007 and came into force on 1 January 2007. It's possible the EU regulations came into force earlier and therefore Audi were working to them before January 2007. Older cars can still have alarms louder than new ones.

I have no idea if the alarm on the A3, or any other Audi for that matter, makes 55 decibels or less. I don't have a noise meter!

Not sure about about VAG-COM settings but I'll have a look.

The car has the capability of making more noise, that's for sure.

Bowfer, out of interest does the alarm on your new Alpina make more noise?

Well there does seem to be some adjustments that can be made using VAG-COM in connection with the alarm.

This is a section related to the Controller 46 that controls various functions including the alarm. It has come from a site that was originally in German as has been computer translated so it may not be perfect English!!

Controller adjustment

STG 46 (comfort system) select
STG adjustment - > function 10

AFL = automatic headlight

- > channel 00 (key delete)
All keys delete (0 = deletes).

- > channel 01 (keys train)
Keys train (key 1 to key 4).

- > channel 03 (single door opening)
Only driver's door and tank flap will become unlocked, the remaining doors only after twice to press on the FFB opened (0 = out; 1 =).

- > channel 04 (auto-LOCK)
The vehicle is locked at a speed of over 15km/h (0 = out; 1 =).

- > channel 05 (auto-UNLOCK)
The vehicle is locked at a speed of over 15km/h and unlocked after to take off the ignition key
(0 = out; 1 =).

- > channel 06 (unblocking over Kessy)
The turn signals, alarm horn, and/or turn signal and alarm horn with unlock operated (legal guidelines to consider).
(0 = out; 1 = turn signal; 2 = alarm horn; 3 = turn signal & alarm horn)

- > channel 07 (unblocking over FFB)
The turn signals, alarm horn, and/or turn signal and alarm horn with unlock operated (legal guidelines to consider).

- > channel 08 (unblocking over code switches)

- > channel 09 (bolting device over Kessy)
The turn signals, alarm horn, and/or turn signal and alarm horn with lock operated (legal guidelines to consider).

- > channel 10 (bolting device over FFB)
The turn signals, alarm horn, and/or turn signal and alarm horn with lock operated (legal guidelines to consider).

- > channel 11 (bolting device over code switches)

- > channel 12 (feedback DWA)
Feedback with sharpen the DWA (legal guidelines consider).

- > channel 13 (alarm horn)
Land attitude for the Sounder. Affects kind, length and volume of the alarm clay/tone (legal guidelines consider).

0 = frequent-modulated alert, 10 Tamper alarms
1 = frequent-modulated alert, 1 Tamper alarm
2 = intermittent alert, 10 Tamper of alarms
3 = intermittent alert, 10 Tamper alarms

- > channel 14 (inclination sensor)
Sensitivity of the inclination sensor stop.

Range of values: 100 - 200 (100 = 50%, 140 = 70%, 200 = 100%)

- > channel 15 (interior monitoring)
Sensitivity of the interior monitoring stop.

Range of values: 100 - 200 (100 = 50%, 140 = 70%, 200 = 100%)

- > channel 16 (battery monitoring)
Battery monitoring Sounder (0 = inactively, 1 = actively).

It seems like channel 13 covers the kind, length and volume of the alarm clay/tone. It also says about legal guidelines bieing considered so I assume it can be adjusted to suit local regulations.

Bowfer, out of interest does the alarm on your new Alpina make more noise?

I've no idea, to be honest, I'l give it a pop later.
It has a nice bright alarm LED though, situated under the rear view mirror.:idea:

I did suspect VAGCOM would allow adjustment of the volume, as your investigations have confirmed, David.
It makes sense that Audi fit the same alarm hardware to all their cars, with local noise legislation being catered for by the VAGCOM.

Perhaps I'll find out of the way place to try it. Don't really want to annoy the neighbours. Mind you I'm going to the north of Scotland next week for a holiday so I'm sure I could find somewhere. Perhaps if I turn it up loud enough Bowfer will hear it in Aberdeen!!

Perhaps I'll find out of the way place to try it. Don't really want to annoy the neighbours. Mind you I'm going to the north of Scotland next week for a holiday so I'm sure I could find somewhere. Perhaps if I turn it up loud enough Bowfer will hear it in Aberdeen!!

Where you're going, you'll be lucky if the locals have ears.
Most of them just have one big eye, in the middle of their forehead.
:scared2:

We're staying in a B+B on the shores of Cromarty Firth 1.5 miles from the village of Evanton, on the A9 north of Inverness.

We're staying in a B+B on the shores of Cromarty Firth 1.5 miles from the village of Evanton, on the A9 north of Inverness.

I'll help you with the local pronunciation.
It's " AAAAY-VUN-TUN" near "ANE-VUR-NAAAAAAAISE"
You'll be safe enough calling all blokes 'Donald'.

Ach, you'll find every major city/town in Scotland slag each other off.
Aberdonians will call Inverness everything.
Inverness will call us everything.
The only one we all agree is crap, is Dundee.

Quick bit of advice, watch that A9.
It's become a bit of an accident blackspot, with the inevitable police interest that ensues.