Used RS3 or New TTS?

R32 mad

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm in the market to buy a new car, I've been looking at RS3's and TTS's lately. I noticed there is an awful lot of used RS3's for sale now. Is this due to the forth coming facelift? As it seems this will only come into effect for the saloon version? but if there are no facelift Sportback's in the pipeline, then why so many used RS3's?

The dilemma for me is I do like the TTS. But that engine is the RS3 cannot be ignored. Looking for a car with more driver involvement...coming from a MK5 R32.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Scottyg
Welcome along. You've posted a thread which will be debated over and over again and you'll still be none the wiser. Have a search for similar questions and you'll find a few.
If it were me, my money would be going on a RS3. The soundtrack alone would seal the deal.
To answer your question on why there are a good few RS3s still around in both unregistered guise and used is pretty simply. Dealers bought in cars as the run was short so they'd become sought after cars. However, dealers have priced them at stupid money hence they aren't budging. The used ones will be from ex demos. There were a good few of these for press days etc. Run the car by the guys on here before you spend your wedge.
The TTS is a lovely car but................practically wise it's not up there with the RS3 unless that's not an issue for you.
Happy shopping.

Reactions: Beebee-one, Snake Pliskin, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
If you like the TT then get the RS version which is due out soon, assuming Audi sort out their production problems of course :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Depends on your priorities.

If it's straight line speed and raucous noise, RS3.

If it's how the thing drives and feels to drive, TTS.

Best thing would be to drive them back to back on roads you know well.

However, if you really want driver involvement, perhaps a move away from VAG and / or Haldex might be worthy of consideration.

Reactions: 45bvtc
First you need to decide on 5-door or 2-door.

Next decide on 5-pot with a 7-speed DSG or 4-pot with a 6-speed DSG

Having both an RS3 and ragtop TT (and A1 twin-charge with 7-speed DSG) I'm in no doubt that the 5-pot with 7-speed DSG makes the most usable power-train for UK roads; and that's in all of it's applications of 'drive', 'sport' or 'flappy-paddle manual'

As Craigl says "Best thing would be to drive them back to back on roads you know well." and try all of the DSG modes

5-years on with the RS3 now and it remains a 100% keeper :superman:

So I'd go RS3, RS3, RS3...

Reactions: ice_cube99, Scottyg, Snake Pliskin and 2 others
:laughing:Just so I'm clear 45bvtc - are you recommeding the RS3 ?

Reactions: RGBARGEE, 45bvtc and elton121272
Well the TTS now comes with the updated 7 speed DSG from the S3, I'm guessing the RS3 will hold it's value better over the TT in the long run making it a better investment.

The s3 7speed box and the rs3 7speed are two diff boxes And spec no idea if they feel different or if it's just higher rated internals for the Rs?

:laughing:Just so I'm clear 45bvtc - are you recommeding the RS3 ?

Let's put it this way, I'd sell the A1 and TT way before I sold the RS3. For us, the RS3 is so much more to drive and ride in; and when the weather turns truly bad and we need to get somewhere then for us the RS3 is definitely the quickest and safest of our cars to be in.

Reactions: Scottyg and Snake Pliskin
Hi I own a mk3 Tts which I've had for five months I have a love hate relationship with it and often hatred.
I traded my S1 for it possibly with the lure of the 5k deposit contribution.
I went for the manual gearbox as the tiptronic makes an annoying farting sound on upshifts.
I can't really put my finger on it as it's a very accomplished motor vehicle, well made, quick but it's so boring.
There's no spark with it I just don't really want to drive it and it sounds so crap.
It's quicker than my S1 but I know what I'd drive if I had the choice and it wouldn't be the Tts.
I haven't driven an RS3 but surely the 5 pot motor surely is a no brainer over the bland pumped up artificial sound of the Tts 2 litre turbo.
I wouldn't even consider the Tts if I was you don't be blinkered by the deposit contribution it's only there as Audi can't shift em.
Decision made RS3!!
By the way I use to have an R32 mk 2 twice the car of the Tts I'd forgive all the pointless tech over some driver enjoyment.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and Snake Pliskin
Hi I own a mk3 Tts which I've had for five months I have a love hate relationship with it and often hatred.
I traded my S1 for it possibly with the lure of the 5k deposit contribution.
I went for the manual gearbox as the tiptronic makes an annoying farting sound on upshifts.
I can't really put my finger on it as it's a very accomplished motor vehicle, well made, quick but it's so boring.
There's no spark with it I just don't really want to drive it and it sounds so ****.
It's quicker than my S1 but I know what I'd drive if I had the choice and it wouldn't be the Tts.
I haven't driven an RS3 but surely the 5 pot motor surely is a no brainer over the bland pumped up artificial sound of the Tts 2 litre turbo.
I wouldn't even consider the Tts if I was you don't be blinkered by the deposit contribution it's only there as Audi can't shift em.
Decision made RS3!!
By the way I use to have an R32 mk 2 twice the car of the Tts I'd forgive all the pointless tech over some driver enjoyment.

I had a manual Mark 2 TTS from 2011 to 2013 & can relate to what you are saying mate.

Very nice cars, good handling, nice looking cars, quality, fast, comfortable .... & the Mark 3 has raised the game again considerably !

But the 4 pot will never deliver the sound of a 5 or 6 cylinder engine and I have discovered the sound enjoyment you can get from this adds so much to the driving experience !!

If you go in with your eyes open knowing this then the TTS is a superb car, but if ballistic power and natural amplified sound is important to you then RS3 ticks all the boxes :yes:

If l am honest l wouldn't buy either of them, Used RS3, wouldn't buy a used car,the TTS l found it to be the best Audi l have driven so far,a real hoot....far superior to my S3 in everyway but it's expensive £47k was my spec and l hate that faux chrome grill..... Badly, a black edition would soon liven it up though

If l am honest l wouldn't buy either of them, Used RS3, wouldn't buy a used car,the TTS l found it to be the best Audi l have driven so far,a real hoot....far superior to my S3 in everyway but it's expensive £47k was my spec and l hate that faux chrome grill..... Badly, a black edition would soon liven it up though

But seriously mate ... how often do you rag a car round public roads on a regular basis to exploit the TTS's best aspect of handling ?
The sound is mute compared to the RS3 & that you can enjoy even at 30mph :)

I really find you can enjoy straight line speed and the sound factor waaaaay more on a daily basis than handling finesse :yes:

Know what you're saying about getting a used car vs new though.

But seriously mate ... how often do you rag a car round public roads on a regular basis to exploit the TTS's best aspect of handling ?
The sound is mute compared to the RS3 & that you can enjoy even at 30mph :)

I really find you can enjoy straight line speed and the sound factor waaaaay more on a daily basis than handling finesse :yes:

Know what you're saying about getting a used car vs new though.

I can only speak from my point of view mate as a S3 owner, l did consider that racing mica blue RS3 but l knew who had driven it and also it had only done 3k miles,but a used £47k RS3 on a pcp was far more expensive than a ttrs new on a pcp lol

But what a stunning car it was,the best looking RS3 that l have seen

DSC 0365

Reactions: Beebee-one and Snake Pliskin
I can only speak from my point of view mate as a S3 owner, l did consider that racing mica blue RS3 but l knew who had driven it and also it had only done 3k miles,but a used £47k RS3 on a pcp was far more expensive than a ttrs new on a pcp lol

But what a stunning car it was,the best looking RS3 that l have seen

View attachment 105329

You going TTRS route then ?

Best of both worlds :)

You going TTRS route then ?

Best of both worlds :)

Don't think l could do another A3 dashboard /interior again l checked yesterday the ttrs is still not up and running on the Audi computer network for residual GMFV's....

Don't think l could do another A3 dashboard /interior again l checked yesterday the ttrs is still not up and running on the Audi computer network for residual GMFV's....

Maybe as I previously had two Mark 2 TT's and then the S5, I find the A3 (RS) interior a pretty nice place to be & I would happily have a FL interior with virtual cockpit etc.

I'm sure it won't be that long till the TTRS is up on the network. Then decision time I guess yeah !

Maybe as I previously had two Mark 2 TT's and then the S5, I find the A3 (RS) interior a pretty nice place to be & I would happily have a FL interior with virtual cockpit etc.

I'm sure it won't be that long till the TTRS is up on the network. Then decision time I guess yeah !

No decision mate l want it lol £10k but where will that take me?
Gash colours though lol

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
The rumour is that Audi are struggling to get new models out the door which incl the TTRS so imho you won't see one this year in the UK and the saloon RS3 will be 2018.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Still loving my RS but considering a Motorway barge now (as well)... A4 190 Avant quattro or new AllRoad... The RS3 is so special I think it will be a keeper. TT is very small, nice looker but not hugely practical. The RS3 is small enough.

Reactions: 45bvtc and Snake Pliskin
I think a RS3 in Nardo grey is a epic looking and sounding car.

The rumour is that Audi are struggling to get new models out the door which incl the TTRS so imho you won't see one this year in the UK and the saloon RS3 will be 2018.

TX.

I ain't expecting to get one til April fine by me,wouldn't take delivery of a new car in the winter up here in Scotland anyways

Very nice! How about some black rings on the bonnet instead of the chrome ones?

Nice....wee mod that...showed the Mrs this photo and she even liked it so..and she dislikes cars......it looks evil in Nardo....and being a no cost option....easier to afford the BSP

TX.

Elementary my dear Watson hence they aint even building it....its not even on the Audi main frame computer system