Used e-tron questions

milesunder

Reaction score
hello all,

I have been keeping an eye on this forum for quite some time as we are thinking about replacing the wife's A3 Sportback 2.0 tdi 2006 with an e-tron.

We test drove one at the start of the year and really liked it. My only concern is the range of the car in electric mode. It would be nice if it was closer to 40 - 50 miles but never mind.

So the question is would you recommend buying a nearly new one or ordering a brand new one.

My concerns / questions are:

With a new one Audi supply a wall charging unit for free. Well they did at the start of the year. Do they offer this with a used one?

Would the automatic gearbox be okay on a nearly new?

I would like a five year warranty as we would keep this car for at least that amount of time and I have had a shed load of trouble with my Superb in its first three years of live. That said we have had little trouble with our current A3.

Depreciation seems low on current e-trons

Early models seem to be available on the Audi site but I have been warned away from these because of potential early build issues. Has anyone had experiences of this?

Is the build quality on the current e-trons up to scratch?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have one new 3 months ago. Build quality excellent. Absolutely no issues so far (touch wood). I would point out a couple of things. First look at the thread on battery range EV only. You will be disappointed I fear. I use the ordinary 13amp socket overnight and it gives me 21 miles indicated. Once it went to 24 - I don't know why. This is good enough for my daily commute so most of the time I can be sanctimonious about my carbon footprint, (100% renewable electricity) but it's a bit short of the 31 miles I was led to expect when I put down a deposit in January.
The second point is the mysteries of the on line "my audi" and MMI stuff was a bit baffling to a technophobe such as I, so before you drive away make sure you've had the full training. Don't assume it will all be in the handbook.

I've had mine since launch day (17th January 2015) and have no issues. I charge mine both from the Audi supplied charging unit at 16A and a 32A wall charger at 16A and I get indicated range from 22 miles to 34 miles. My build included the 5 year warranty so I have no concerns. I would imagine buying a nearly new one would be absolutely fine so long as it came from a good home...

Good grief, they are expensive aren't they. Up to 31 miles on a single charge seems disappointing and other EV cars seem to do 3 times the mileage and is somewhat less in winter. Granted you do get free charging at roadside points but it seems your lifestyle has to fit in with the car to make it pay.
I'm not against EV/Hybrid cars at all but everytime I do a cost comparison between a Petrol car or derv against the equivalent EV, Hybrid version ----- the conventional engines win.

Good grief, they are expensive aren't they. Up to 31 miles on a single charge seems disappointing and other EV cars seem to do 3 times the mileage and is somewhat less in winter. Granted you do get free charging at roadside points but it seems your lifestyle has to fit in with the car to make it pay.
I'm not against EV/Hybrid cars at all but everytime I do a cost comparison between a Petrol car or derv against the equivalent EV, Hybrid version ----- the conventional engines win.
Having made the comparison back in January between a UK standard e-tron and an equivalent optioned A3 TDI I found that the e-tron was approximately £1k cheaper :blink:

Over how may years?
I'm talking outright purchase here. I was considering a TDI but then thought about the e-tron as I wouldn't need to pay for most of my day to day fuel. Right decision, happy days!