Used car dealer thoughts...

Jemster

Reaction score
Used car dealers...argh! What are your thoughts on this?

I have recently purchased a 2015 A4 tdi quattro s-tronic Black Edition Plus with 37,700 miles on it from a Network Q Vauxhall dealer who shall remain nameless for the time being.

First problem, rear had 2 good Continentals and front had 1 new Michelin PS3 and one worn out Conti. Before taking it away I had assurance if it was under 3mm they’d replace it. It was. But rather than replace it with a PS3, they offered to put a budget tyre on. Told them where to go and they are sending a cheque for £70 towards the price of the PS3 I’ve put on it.

Now the car was sold as serviced by them at 37,500 and I have the invoice. It has a NetworkQ year warranty and some Audi warranty remaining. I’m having Audi sort out the headlamp washers as they aren’t retracting right, but in the process Audi told me it MUST have the s-tronic oil changed before 38k and if they were servicing it, they would have done it. The invoice makes no mention of this so I am pretty sure it’s not been done.

Do I have a legal leg to stand on to get the seller to do this? For a car to be described as Just serviced, and for a NetworkQ warranty to be valid, should it not be serviced in accordance with the manufacturers schedule? Not a random oil service and resetting the service indicator. Looks like they didn’t do the fuel filter or the pollen filter either.

Pretty peeved with them at the moment to be honest... I’m just looking for opinions and wondering where I stand legally before I speak to them again on Monday.

I doubt it's been serviced at all save for an oil change & stamp the book, I'm sort of in the trade & i know all to well what goes on.

Reactions: SamHendry and Jemster
(Mods: I’ve just noticed posts in this forum do not show up on the ‘New Posts’ list. Weird?! Does this forum get less answered posts than if I posted it in another one?)

@joinerman I'm sure you’re correct. What gets me here is if I hadn’t been in to Audi, I could easily have gone over the mileage and invalidated any warranty without even knowing it. The Service Invoice from NetworkQ states ‘annual service’. The average purchaser would have quite happily motored on for a year based on that.

The terms & conditions of the NetworkQ warranty also state that the car must be serviced in accordance with the manufacturers specifications. So that year long warranty would also be invalidated within 400 miles of receiving the car. I have a niggling feeling it’s in the gap insurance documentation as well, although I could be wrong there.

I’m probably going to have to absorb these costs myself as the dealer has not instilled any confidence after the tyre fiasco. Plus they fiddled around with the pcp figures, pocketing a couple of hundred themselves by my reckoning. Not what you expect of a manufacturers used car network, more like a back-street dodgy dealer. I’m just wondering if I’d have a leg to stand on, small claims court perhaps?

I would ask the dealer for a detailed list of what exactly they did for the service and if they haven't done the oil change tell them you will get it done at Audi and they will be paying the bill as it should have been done .
Do you not have it marked in the service book what they did or a network q list in the car ?
I don't know if you can but but you could threaten them with returning the car for full refund if its not done but then you would have to find another car .

I haven’t updated the thread because the work isn’t done yet, but they’ve actually been helpful and confessed to missing that this change should have been done. They have the kit on order along with a tool to make the job easier (some kind of pump to get the oil in easier).

So next week it’s getting that done and the fuel filter. It’s also turned out that the car has had a knock on the front offside. Audi say it doesn’t look like it was serious and they said the repair was extremely good. They only noticed because they were looking at why the headlamp washer cover wasn’t springing back quite right and when they went to take off the bumper, found a couple of incorrect bolts. So Network Q are sorting that little problem out too.

I’ll believe it all when I see it to be honest given I’m still waiting on the £70 cheque... all in all not a good start to ownership.