USB socket 2 keeps disconnecting a connected device

pagenotfound

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been reported on here before but noticed some odd behaviour this week with my 2 USB sockets under the centre console armrest. Has anyone else had this and found any dealer fix?

With both USB sockets in use, a phone running Android Auto for navigation in USB socket 1 and either an iPod touch or USB thumb drive in USB 2, the device connected to USB 2 keeps getting disconnected whilst in use.

The issue seems to be that whilst the phone is connected to USB 1 and doesn't have a full battery (i.e. charging) there is no problem with USB 2. However, once the phone battery gets to 100% charged it causes the device in USB 2 to disconnect. USB1 remains connected. USB2 then reconnects and works for a few minutes and disconnects again, presumably as the phone discharges a bit and then tops up charge.

If I swap the devices round, the thumb drive or iPod in USB 1 work fine again but this time the phone on USB 2 keeps disconnecting.

With the phone disconnected, the device in USB 2 works perfectly so it rules out connection or port issues and seems to be related to power management of the ports with the charging of the phone.

I'd be interested if anyone else has encountered this or could check theirs for the same. Mine is MY16 with 2 USB sockets and an AUX 3.5mm socket under the arm rest, no phone pack or anything like that.

Is this a Samsung phone ? As I had something similar before going to Iphone,
The Samsung disconnects from the "charger / USB" to protect the battery - when at 100%

May be totally different to your issue, but it stopped when I changed phones.

Sony Xperia. It is definitely to do with the charging management on the phone but seems odd it only affects the USB 2 socket.

Reactions: Hambee1234