USB Input Source disappeared?

Foyaz

Reaction score
Hi, I just had my car returned from audi after it was in for its MOT.

As I was driving off I noticed the music wouldn't start, I thought the source was changed so I clicked the source button and could only see sd card, CD and aux input. No USB source listed?

I thought maybe the USB wasn't plugged in properly, I took it out and put it back in, light was flashing on my USB so it was definitely receiving power but still nothing. Tried a different USB, still didn't work. Took the USB cable out of the glove box and connected it again making sure it was in properly and still nothing.

What the hell happened?? Has it been disabled or something? Can someone check on their car please and see what they can see on their source list?

I had a look at some posts online and some older audis you are able to enable aux input by going into the secret menu, so thought I might have to do that for my USB input incase the dealership turned it off for some reason. Instructions say to press and hold SETUP and CAR buttons simultaneously and then you go into this green menu and tick the stuff you want to enable. But that doesn't happen for meme?

Please someone help! Music is my life and I won't be able to drive without it! My B&O sound system is useless right now and I'm so annoyed. Gonna take it back to the dealership soon but hoping I can just sort it myself rather than wait any longer.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Help on this please! Someone must know something, or at the very least how to get into the secret/hidden menu?????

IF your car had to have aux enabled by the hidden menu and that menu has now disappeared then it is indeed possible that the dealer did a reset or update which has disabled both. In that case you'd need to re-enable the hidden menu which I believe will need to be done via VCDS or similar 3rd party tool. I assume from your mail that you did not originally do this yourself?

Reactions: Foyaz
No, it went into the Audi dealership for an MOT. I asked them to update the software to the latest version for the MMI as well.

When I went to pick up my car, they guy informed me that there were no updates available and I had the latest one install, SW: 0310, HW: H02.

But sounds like the engineer might have tried to carry out the update and turned off USB input by accident?

I have tested the USB sticks on my computer and they work fine, have also tested an SD card and that works fine on the car but I really wish I could enable the USB source again.

Car has been booked in again for next Tuesday, thankfully I have music on the memory card until then....

Went back to Audi yesterday, they said that apparently my car didn't have the USB MMI input factory fitted, it must have been retro fitted afterwards but I wouldn't have known that since it was one of the previous owners that had it done.

What confused me was that even though it was an Audi approved vehicle, and on finance from Audi by all its previous owners, how would they have managed to get that done without Audi knowing or making a note of it?

When they called me, the guy kept saying that since the USB input wasn't Audi genuine, they couldn't do anything about it. I got annoyed when hearing this especially since reading a lot of other comments on how Audi have stung customers in the past. So I was quite firm with the guy and told him if he looks at the MMI Input, he can see that it is an Audi genuine part that has been used, granted it might have been installed by a third party installer. And that shouldn't even matter anyway, if the car suddenly had something go wrong whilst it is in the care of the dealership, then it is the dealerships responsibility, especially if it was working absolutely fine beforehand.

The guy said he'll call me back after speaking to an engineer. He eventually did call me back and they admitted that the reason why the USB input stopped working was because when the engineer tried to update the MMI software, it knocked off the 'non genuine Audi software', now they will bring in another guy who can reprogram the 'non genuine software' at a later date. Booked the car in for the 19th for Audi to sort this out for me. Hopefully it doesn't cause further issues.

Anyone else had stuff like this retrofitted and needed 're programming'? I thought it was just an option using the VCDS to enable the USB again and disable the AUX input like it was before.

Don't forget that VCDS is effectively a 3rd party version of what VAG provides to the techs. I have even heard of dealers using VCDS instead of the official VAG tool. Then add in the fact that some techs are not always 'expert' at what they are doing and you have a formula for the sort of mistake that you are seeing. Well done for persevering with this. Dealers are often like insurance companies in that they try to wriggle out of having to take responsibility.

Reactions: Foyaz
Thanks mate, I sort of had a feeling that's what happened and your information just made my suspicion even stronger.

Normally I would have let something like this go since its rare for a single small voice to have anything done against a large company like that especially when they use 'non genuine' in their argument. But thankfully the guy I dealt with was quite honest and helpful so respect to him for that, otherwise I doubt it would have gotten very far at all.

It's not over yet though. Like you said, hopefuly the guy they bring in knows what he's doing and doesn't make things worse, fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your help bud!

Hi

When audi perform any kind of update on the car it compares all the cars coding to that of the database of how the car left the factory. it then "corrects" any difference in coding to that of the database, so this is why you've lost it.
I recently lost all my vcds changes after booking my car in, although only took me about 10mins to put everything back
Only retrofits at the dealer will also update the database to stop this happening in future. Make sure they do this when it goes back in otherwise this will keep happening

Hi, they're going to fix it this Tuesday...

Does this also happen when the car goes in for a service?

Hey guys, just thought I'd update you. Took the car to Audi yesterday and left it with them.

They fixed it and called me in a few hours to let me know. Seems like it was just a simple code they had to alter or something. But I have tested it and everything seems to work as normal. Glad to have the USB function back!

Lesson learnt now though.