USB hard drive with Audi Music Interface.

QED69

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have the AMI and can play music from a USB memory stick just wondered if it was possible to use a small Hard drive to hold the music ? Or a iPod classic ?

Hi,

I tried with several hard drives with mixed results, the interface supplies a maximum of 500mA power which is not enough for 90% of laptop drives. I ended up using a 128GB USB stick which is fine as the largest drive I could find that worked was 40GB anyway.

You can use an iPod Classic or Touch with the AMI to 30pin apple cable. This is a good solution which I particularly like as the gaps between tracks (or lack of gaps) seem to be reproduced more accurately, less of a drop between tracks that are supposed to segue together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: QED69
Hi,

I tried with several hard drives with mixed results, the interface supplies a maximum of 500mA power which is not enough for 90% of laptop drives. I ended up using a 128GB USB stick which is fine as the largest drive I could find that worked was 40GB anyway.

You can use an iPod Classic or Touch with the AMI to 30pin apple cable. This is a good solution which I particularly like as the gaps between tracks (or lack of gaps) seem to be reproduced more accurately, less of a drop between tracks that are supposed to segue together.

Great thanks for the information certainly saved me some time covering the same ground as yourself. Think I might invest in an iPod touch as that seems to be the best solution.

Many thanks again !

No problem, happy to share. Just so you are aware I have not tried this with a newer generation iPod (i.e. the type with a lightning cable) I tried with an older gen 64GB iPod touch with the 30pin socket.

Reactions: QED69
No problem, happy to share. Just so you are aware I have not tried this with a newer generation iPod (i.e. the type with a lightning cable) I tried with an older gen 64GB iPod touch with the 30pin socket.

Cheers again will have a look on eBay for an older version should be able to pick one up quite reasonably.

a low power SSD should work... but as i havent managed to get a ****** AMI unit yet i cant prove it..

a low power SSD should work... but as i havent managed to get a ****** AMI unit yet i cant prove it..

All the SSDs I looked at needed more than 500mA, but I wasn't specifically looking for 'low power' SSDs.

I might have to do a bit of research when I find the time

All the SSDs I looked at needed more than 500mA, but I wasn't specifically looking for 'low power' SSDs.

I might have to do a bit of research when I find the time

Spoke with a guy from our IT department and he reckons an M2 SSD might suffice in a caddy. Don't know a lot about them but might research further later.